Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-24-2002, 04:49 PM
FamilyCorner Groupie

hey there

yes i got them ... i added you to my AOL buddy list too
I sent you a PM asking if you made a typo with your AOL name ( the one with numbers in it) just email me or PM me if you made a typo on your name lol i will get to talk to you sooner or later LOL

Oh i am on AIM right now

Sue
Old 06-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Sue and Tina

you two seem all alone here. Do you mind if I jion in too?

I also deal with IRB. It has gotten pretty bad the last few years. They tell me it is from stress. Foods don't seem to have much effect except for dairy products and it's summer and I sure do miss ice cream I take Imodium (rx) when it starts and sometimes that helps then others it takes several doses to get it under control.

Sue you are really having it rough with your limited diet and still have so much trouble. I am really sorry that it is happening like that. I imagine that you could get pretty depressed when it is so bad. Like Tina said if you ever need a shoulder or a listening ear just let me know.

Tina thank you for the sites that you gave. I am going to go check them out. I can always use all the info I can get.

May God smile on you today.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi There

Welcome Stitcher45 Of course we dont mind you joining us The more the merrier i always say !!!!

You said you have IRB... umm what is that ? or was that just a typo

As you can see i have IBS at its worse but they are trying to get it under control . I have a new doctor working on it now so it should be getting under control soon ... i hope

Thank you so much for the offer of a shoulder to lean on .. just remember i have shoulders too and if you would like to email me (you or Tina) to talk please feel free to anytime

Thank you both for talking to me about this subject as i dont think i have met anyone else who has IBS and it is a comfort to me to know that other people are out there and know what i am talking about ;-)

Sue
Old 06-25-2002, 09:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

(((((Sue))))) (((((Sandy)))))

Hi!! Sorry I haven't been here much today. It was 94 here and the A/C decided to break! :mad:

Sandy~ I'm so glad those sites are helpful to you. I know, for me, I have to know EVERYTHING about a problem I have! LOL IT drives DH nutty.

Sue~ When do you go to the Dr again? Please let me know what he/she says. I sure hope they can find a med that helps you!! IBS can be so painful as it is, but like Sandy says, it can be depressing too. Know that you are NOT alone sweetie!!

Wishing you both a healthy and happy nite. It's 1:30am right now, so I best be off to dream land soon

Hugs,
Old 06-26-2002, 06:07 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi

Tina,
I just went ot the doctors yesterday and she upped my Modulon dose to 200mg with every meal . I dont know if it is working but the pills sure make me tired and give me indigestion but i have Cemetidine pills to take for the acid anyway lol if its not one thing its another lol I think i am going to start rattling when i walk if i have to take anymore pills lol

I think the only time i find my IBS depressing is when i try and explain to anyone that i am not feeling well and they dont understand what IBS is :mad: Because it isnt a cold or flu bug they think it isnt real . DH has been learning a lot about this and reading the handouts from the doctors office about it . Actually he is the one that ratted me out to the doctor that i was having problems again and that my weight was going up and down again. I should explain to you that i used to be 215lbs before i got sick with this and it wasnt until i lost about 50lbs in 4 months that my old doctor decided that maybe it wasnt the flu bug afterall :mad: He said it all started cuz i had a double stomach lining infection that was never treated and it made my IBS flair up... i dont know about that one as my sister was diagnosed with IBS 3 months after i started getting sick but hers is way under control ( she lives in England) . Anyway , as i was saying i was 215lbs when i got sick and i was fighting to stay above 113lbs ( that meant a hospital stay if i lost more) and i am now at 134lbs and trying to stay at this weight but it is hard lol i am not trying to lose weight it just seems to lose me

One good thing my old doctor said to me was' i will know when you have given up Sue as you will have lost your sense of humor' and that is so true

So, DH ratted me out and now my new doc is really taking tough measures to get this undercontrol and get me some proper help * DH*

Thank you Tina and Sandy for being here ... and just remember i am here for both of you as well

Sue
Old 07-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

IBS

Well I too have IBS but I have never heard of a case like yours Craftymom. This might sound silly but are the doctors SURE that IBS is the only problem? Have you had xrays, ultrasounds, a colonoscopy? I assume the answer is yes. I was able to get mine under control after adding more fibre to my diet and deleting or moderating stuff like dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables. It's clear that everyone who's replied so far is well informed - thanks for the websites, I'll be checking them out and passing them along to others. I'm surprised that there haven't been more people replying to this thread since the more I'm open about having IBS, the more I find other people who have it. The thing is I think a lot of people have this thing and don't know it. I got progressively sicker for ten years until I mentioned it to the doctor. Craftymom, I admire your sense of humour. The last time I was really sick was about three years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. That first trimester was really tough and I remember my husband asking me if I was unhappy about the pregnancy three months into it since I seemed so miserable all the time. I was just so sick ( I had lost 8 pounds by the end of the third month rather than having put on weight) that I couldn't be happy.

A time I remember as funny now but not so funny then... I was teaching my 6th grade class when an attack came over me... I told my students to be good since I had to go to the washroom for a few minutes as I ran out the classroom doubled over(I'll never forget the look of genuine concern on their faces)... so anyway I got to the washroom in time but was unable to leave. About 15 minutes later a student walked in, I identified myself from behind the door and begged her to please advise the office that I was sick in the washroom and that someone had to look after my class. Well a few minutes later there's a knock at the door and my vice principal's voice asking me if I'm O.K. I know he came out of concern but I was so embarassed by the smell if you know what I mean...Anyway it took me awhile to look at him straight in the eyes after that altough we do laugh about it now. By the way, I was in the washroom for an hour and a half - a teacher's aide took over for me.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:59 PM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi

Hi there sugarspicenpuppytails.. you are right it is an unusual case ..even the doctors have said that after having drank about 20 gallons of barium for the barium x-rays, barium follow throughs the barium enema oh and we cant foget the colonoscopy .. i mean i think you havent lived until you have had a camera up your rear-end

I have eliminated things that you mentioned and then some and i am now only eating turkey and potatoe, rice milk and raisin bran. It is all i can eat that wont put me in the hospital the doctors are trying loads of differnt meds on me ...most i am allergic to others just dont work .

I also am very open about having IBS ... there is nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion anyway .. i do wish more people would talk about this as like you said the more you talk the more people actually mention they have it !

LOL i can totally sympathize with you about your 'emergency bathroom run' when you were in class lol like you siad though it isnt funny at the time but now you can laugh about it

Well, i have to get running here to get dinner and unpack from camping ..sorry it was such a long post

Thank you to everyone again for all the information

Keep on posting
Sue
Old 07-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing Can I relate!!

Sugarandspicenpuppydogtails I can sure relate to your experience in the class room. When I was teaching early elementary hearing impaired, I had about the same thing hapen to me, only there was no way to talk to my students when I was in the bathroom. I dropped them in the room next to mine which was not hearing impaired and took off. Finally one of my little student stuck her head under the stall door and asked me if I was okay. My class got pretty good about knowing when I needed them to set quietly while I went to the reastroom.

Craftymom are they sure you do not have Crones disease. My dgd's father's family all have some form of it and many of you symptomes sound so much like what you discribe.

I sure admire your humor and your ability to be so possitive about things. You are getting more remarkable to me all the time. ;-)

Since I have elminated dairy from my diet I seem to be improved most of the time but then I can have times like the last week where I am running all day every day. We on;y have one bathroom and there are 7 of us living in this house right now. It is never convenate for me to need to go and if I need to stay awhile there is always someone else that needs in.

Hope you have a great day today. Wjat do you have planned for the 4th? Yes Craftymom I know you are in Canada but you could still do something fun that day just because it is a day that God sent us. right?

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.

Last edited by stitcher45; 07-02-2002 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:02 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi

stitcher45 i am going to go and ask my doctor if it could be crones instead of ibs as you arent the first person who has asked me that. I am going to make an appointment for next week as she wants to see me about the new meds she put me on anyway

We just celebrated Canada Day when we were camping ...there was a parade and organized events which we went to and then at about 10:15pm there were some awesome fireworks that lasted about 30 + minutes which the kids and everyone loved. As for July 4th .. i really dont know what we are going to be doing...maybe head to the beach after DH gets off work and have dinner down there ( if it isnt too hot) .

I am glad that other people are coming forward and talking openly about IBS and their experiences with it... it makes us feel less alone in the world

Well, i am off to catch up on all the other posts i missed while i was playing sun goddess on the beach LOL

Have a great day

Sue
Old 07-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes Craftymom I am glad that you started this thread and brought this suject out where we could talk about it. I have hidden it for yearsand years. I first started having trouble when I was just a child and I was accused of not caring whether I messed myself or not. Then later the doctor said that I just ate too much and it upset my stomach whenactuality I ate far less than the others at meal time because I didn't want to teased about my weight problem. As the years went on and I went off to college things got so bad I carried extra clothes and underwear in my book bags. I have no idea how many clothes I threw away because I was out on campus and didn't have any way to carry the dirty one back to the dorm. I was so glad for the semesters that I didn't have a roommate so others wouldn't know what happened to me - I was soo ashamed! After a couple years I quit school and went home. I took a job traveling accross the country with a group of young women who did secret shopping for Penny's. It didn't take long for me to quit that job because I was again ashamed of my stomach problems. I took a job in an office and got into so much trouble because I wasted too much time in the bathroom - how do you tell a boss why you are in there for so long. From there on my story goes on about the same as I struggled through jobs, college again, early marriage and motherhood still not knowing that there were others who experienced the same thing I did. I was not a lone. It was not umtil about 8 years ago that I found out there was a name for my problem. It was like a huge load was lifed off my shoulders.

I not have to live with being bipolar ( manic depressive is the old name for it) and my therapist says he thinks that some of my depression problems started because of thinking that there was something wrong with me that I couldn't control my bowels.

Now both my granddaughters have trouble with their bowels. One I think has the IBS and the other I am afraid has the crones disease. Life isn't fair but at least we are able to reasure them that it is their body that causes them to have accidents and not because they are different. They know that I have the same problems as did their mother.

I didn't mean to go on for so long but I just want others who are still just beginning to deal with IBS that we have experienced all the same things they are and we understand what they are going through.

May your day be full of sunshine no matter what the weather is.