Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

IBS and other digestive crud!

I have IBS, yay for me... anyway, does anyone else have this? Are there ways to deal with this without drugs?

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just got told today that I have IBS . . . I'm kind of in shock because I thought that IBS was when you are often beset with periods of constantly having to rush for the bathroom at the most inopportune moments. But apparently, per my doc, you can also have IBS if you are nearly always constipated, with infrequent bouts of having to rush to the bathroom.

It appears that this is something that I've been coping with most of my life without even being aware of it. I have to consume massive amounts of fiber to get things moving for me. Not the greatest when you are trying to low-carb.

I guess I'm going to have to do some research and studying to figure some of this out. I go back to the doc in a month for an evaluation of my treatment plan. For now, he's got me just taking Colace, but he told me that depending on how this works for me, he may give me Zelnorm for occasional short term use.

What type of IBS are you dealing with? How are you working with it? Do you have a tough time getting enough fiber?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Unfortunately I have the other kind... the one that sometimes makes me stop at 3 gas stations on the way to work... not happy about it. I also have apparently had it forever and just dealt with it. I was on meds but they made it worse, I have no idea what to do about it otherwise.
If you are on a low carb diet just be more selective of your veggies. it is SUPER important to base your veggie choices on the fiber count, which is actually good because that takes away from the net carbs involved. You should actually be eating more veggies than you do meat and still be under your allowed carb amount.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tasha,

I'm so sorry you are dealing with that type . . . that would drive me nuts!! Although I must say that the severe gas pains I've had in the past two days have certainly been no picnic. Thank goodness there was medication to considerably lessen the pain within minutes!

It's good to know about the low-carb issue . . . I'm just getting started with that and I was really concerned. Perhaps I'll be able to actually cope better than in the past.

I did some research today and got some good info from the Mayo Clinic about IBS. I think I may start keeping a journal of what I'm eating and how it seems to affect me. That will help me to get a handle on what works best and what to avoid.

Here are a couple of links that I found to be helpful: http://www.ibsgroup.org/
and http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00106&

There are more links accessible via the first link above, but I haven't checked them all out. I'll have to do it bit by bit. But this is a good start for me.

Let me know if you find other links that are helpful for you, and pass them on. Now that we know what we are dealing with, it makes it alot easier to find answers and figure out our own personal best approach to coping with it.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks, I will check out those links! I have the gas pains, too... and explosive diahrea, I am usually pretty much hoping that I will just pass out til it's over... hasn't happened yet though

Old 09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ah yes, explosions! I get those a few times per year, almost without fail when I am out in public instead of in the privacy of my own home! I hate the accompanying pain cramps that give you cold chills and goose bumps! UGH! But what is worse is when I can't make it to the restroom in time and then have to hurry home to repair the damages! It's too bad that there isn't some kind of warning device that lets you know that this would be a really good day to wear a Depends (cause sometimes that's what I feel like I need!

Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yeah, I am 25 and horrified at the prospect of maybe having this for the rest of my life!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Suffering,too!

Hi,unfortunately I suffer from IBS,too....and so does my 12 year old daughter. I have had it most of my life,and know ALL the gas stations within a 20 mile radius of my home,lol. I know that if I eat,I'd either better be headed straight home OR know where the bathrooms are at so I can stop on a dime! My daughter has IBS with BOTH diarhea and constipation...she goes thru both stages and that is no fun,either. We have taken the meds and for us,they don't work. Some days are good,some days are bad....and I agree with the depends.....it'd be nice to know when we might need them! LOL I have also tried to make it home,driving alone and trying to "make it" home to the bathroom and almost passed out...anyone else experience that?? I have learned to not try and hold it too long Stress and greasy foods really sets mine off...although sometimes I eat nothing and still get sick. Thanks for the links...I will surely check them out!

Elaine

David's wife Elaine

Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have IBS too, constipation kind. I am not on any medication, but I have found a lot of helpful information on about.com. I would check it out and look for the link for IBS. Think it will be a big help to you and the rest of you that have this problem. Here is the link for you http://www.about.com/health/. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Apldumplin wrote:

I have also tried to make it home,driving alone and trying to "make it" home to the bathroom and almost passed out...anyone else experience that??

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. It's pretty scary, isn't it?

I'm trying to figure this thing out day by day. I used to just think my body was just weird and that there was nothing I could do about it. Now, "it" has a name and I'm making it my job to figure out how to make things better for myself.

So far, I'm finding that taking Colace and Phazyme at each meal is helping. And I'm cutting down on sodas and caffeine. Trying to drink more water, but I really don't like water at all!

I just realized today that my doctor recently put me on a diuretic also . . . wonder if that is contributing to the problem, making it particularly bad now . . . h'mmmm . . . . gotta think some more on that one.