Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-13-2004, 04:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Supporting a Healthy GI

Gastrointestinal health is an important, if unspoken, aspect of overall health. While bowel function may not be at the top of your list of priorities when it comes to health, it should be - irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer are all serious issues.

To keep your bowel healthy, try the following supplements. Each can be found in health-food stores or at your local grocer.

Psyllium. This dried seed husk derived from the plantain does double duty: it can be used as a laxative when you experience constipation, but also can prevent diarrhea by adding bulk to your stool. It is helpful for those with IBS, and is good for general bowel maintenance. Always take psyllium with water.

Probiotics. If you plan on traveling, take antibiotics, have slow digestion or experience excessive gas, probiotic supplements may help by promoting healthy levels of friendly bacteria. Choose a probiotic supplement containing a billion bacteria or more, and always take them with food.

Triphala. This ayurvedic herbal mixture is designed for ongoing use. Triphala promotes regular bowel function through its mild laxative properties. Consider using triphala (capsules only) for 10 weeks, then taking a two-week break.

Read more about helpful herbs for gastrointestinal health on DrWeil.com.

Help for Bowel Irregularity
Constipation and irregular bowel movements are common, especially among women and older people. A diet rich in fiber and antioxidants, along with a regular exercise routine and stress-reduction techniques, can help to keep your bowels healthy.

janet
Old 09-13-2004, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Tasha, here is a great link about crohns.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/

janet
Old 09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Evening, Tashablueyes!

Thanks to Janet, there is information about Crohn's disease that is easy to understand, Thanks Janet! lol

I've not worked since I was pregnant with our sone in 1989, as my health is never stable enough, I tend to have "problems" a couple of times a week.

I was so very ill with the Crohn's when pregnant (in hospital 6 wks), that we were strongly advised to have no more children, so hubby had a vascetomy when our son was 4 months...we both came close to death when I was in hospital, so this wasn't something advised lightly.

Apparently, most often when a woman is pregnant, the Crohn's disease tends to go into remission, but I've never been the norm, lol

I do hope the info provided can help you & if there's anything else you'd like to know from me personally, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hugs, Jacquie
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't think that I actually have Crohns because i have good days and bad days, and no problem with the whole anemic or malnourished thing... just plain old sucky IBS I am taking probiotics, but who knows if they are really working. My next attempt will be homeopathic meds for anxiety which is sometimes the cause of flare ups of IBS

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tashablueyes, don't get me wrong, but you can't know yourself if you have Crohn's or not unless you go to a gastroenterologist & have tests done. You also can't know if you suffer from malabsorption or anaemia unless blood tests are done. I was sick many years before it was diagnosed.

I too have good days & bad days, not every one of my days is awful, I've gone months without any kind of flareup, & it's now been 7 years almost since I last had to be hospitalized.

I personally, have never tried to "treat" myself without going to a doctor first to find out just what is wrong. With IBD & IBS, many things can cause flareups, even self-medication...you can't know if one drug or herb is going to badly aftect another you may take. For me, it's too high of a risk to take. That fear/caution comes from severe pain & illness.

I do hope of course, that you DON'T have Crohn's, & I wish you well in whatever course you choose to take to be healthy.

Hugs, Jacquie
Old 09-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I will definately ask my dr (if I ever have money or health insurance again!) He sort of diagnosed me with IBS, but was not 100% sure, he put me on meds, but they made me dizzy, nauseaous and drowsy all at the same time and made the diahrea worse. I did at least really read up on the probiotics, and they do not have any real side effects against your body. It is like eating a ton of yogurt, it helps to rebuild the balance of healthy bacteria in your body so that you can fight off any bad bacteria that might be present. I am feeling better most days, but I don't know if it is the probiotics or the exercising, but I think that it is the combination and am crossing my fingers that it continues to improve.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~