IBS and Other Digestive Crud! - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't care for water either, even though it is good for you, I do try to drink that and kool-aid for the amt. your supposed to drink a day, but it is not easy. This is not a fun thing to have, search the link I sent above, you might find some information that might be of help, I hope so.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Ladies, IBS is found alot in Fibromyalgia patients too. I have Fibro and IBS too. I found that eating more fruits and veggies, fresh ones, keeps me in great balance.

I also use ground flax seed..it not only is good for your bowel, but for cholesterol too. I sprinkle mine on yogurt, salads, but in meatloaf, use it in baking...it is good...it will taste a little nutty flavor...if it doesn't that means it is old. I buy a bag and grind a small jar of it, and keep the orginial bag in the freezer.

Fiber is good for both the running and stopping times...it helps to regulate your bowels.

Try to eat your foods as close to natural state as you can.

Janet
Old 09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet,

It's good to know about the flax seed. I had read about it and was wondering if it would help. Do you use it whole or grind it? I was wondering if a grinder like you use for coffee beans would be of use for it?

Where do you buy your flax seed? I need to check to see if our organic food store carries it. I also found a place on line.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jill, I get my Flax seed at our grocery...I find it in the isle with Flour, cornmeal, and stuff like that...also health food stores, or we also have a Food Co-op too.

I grind mine in the coffee grinder...Grinding them is best for you. unless maybe you wanted to sprinkle some on top of a homemade bread, for an attractive look. There are more benefits from the ground seed...I think you must get more of the nutrients that way.

I worry if the whole seed might get stuck in a pocket or fold in your colon...

They always advise you to start out with a teaspoon a day and then you can work up to 2 Tablespoons if necessary..it all depends on your digestion. I have used it as filler in meatballs, cookies, tunasalad...just about everything...scrambled eggs, and no one complains here...lol

Good Health to you Jill! I love your name..I always wanted to be named Jill....I got the Janet instead. lol

Janet
Old 09-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yeah the flax seed thing sounds good, I will have to try it!

I have experienced the almost passing out thing too, that is so weird! I hate it, I get all clammy feeling and weird, but I guess at least we all know why.

I have been tempted to try immodium, but I am afraid that I would end up taking it constantly.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good Evening, Ladies!

I have suffered from IBD since 1979, to be precise...Crohn's disease. I'm wondering if perhaps some of you who have had problems for so long & so severe, are not also suffering from IBD, & not just IBS?

I have taken prescription Immodium for years as well, there is really nothing there to harm you & it does help...in fact, without it....I wouldn't be able to leave the house many times.

I have had surgery once for a bowel resection, had a little over 3' of small bowel removed & now have to have Vitamin B12 shots monthly as I don't have the bowel to absorb it. I do have to watch what foods I eat, & cannot eat too much fibre as that causes a LOT of severe pain later on, either with gas or in going to the bathroom. Sometimes what I eat today will be fine, but if I eat it tomorrow, I'll pay with pain, so there is no specific diet to follow & everyone is different. Stress doesn't cause it, but as with anything, it certainly doesn't help & can cause a flareup, of which I'm in the midst of again right now.

I've been hospitalized many times over the years, but the last time was almost 7 years ago, so even tho I have had flareups since, just being able to stay out of hospital has been a blessing for me.

Hope you all will manage to really get your health straightened out so that you can live with more ease.

Hugs, Jacquie
Old 09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My Poor DH

My poor hubby, he has this too. I kind of figured that what it is, but he looks at me like "say what? I could never get him to drink the water he needs. He eats and drinks all the things hes not suppose to and you can't convince him otherwise. don't know whats in store for him down the road. Everytime we eat anywhere he heads for the bathroom almost immediately. I do agree with you all that you and him, need to watch the diet, but men are a little harder to convince what they should do. All I can do is sit back and feel sorry for him. Do any of you have any ideas what to say to him to make him listen? He just thinks his body is going to stay like it was when he was younger (even tho he had this then and didn't know it) . I do my best to cook decent meals for him, but I can't be with him all day, gosh, just like a kid!

Carolyn
Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your thread caught my eye because I just finished reading a good article on IBS in an old back issue of Prevention magazine. In the June 2003 issue, Dr. Andrew Weil's column is called, "It's My Stomach Again. Easing the pain of IBS" on page 100. He gives some great advice on dealing with IBS without all the medicine.

I know it's not always easy to find an old article -- maybe you can check your local library to see if they carry back issues of Prevention. Or they might be able to get the article for you through their Interlibrary Loan service.

One thing that was mentioned was a set of IBS guided imagery tapes/CDs by Health Journeys. I have some of their other tapes and love them. Their number is 800-800-8661 if you want more information.

Good luck!!

~Leslie
Old 09-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Morning, Carolyn!

Sorry to know about your hubby, & as you say, often men are the worst to look after & to get to look after themselves.

I'm not sure tho, if you mean he has IBS or Crohn's?

You know, there's really nothing you can say to change his way of thinking. He's got to WANT to feel better or at least have more control of his body most times, rather than his body controlling him.

My mum was terrible that way, but she'd been sick for so long, & I think she was just fed up with the doctor visits, tests, trying different meds, etc. But she also didn't try very hard to help herself either, with watching the food she ate for example, so tho we all worried & talked to her about it, in the end it was totally up to her & she chose not to.

So like anything, he has to admit there IS a problem, & then decide himself to deal with it. It makes it doubly frustrating because his family are directly affected too, tho he may not even realize this unless you've talked with him about it.

I know my Crohn's affects EVERY aspect of my life, & my hubby & son are greatly affected...socially & intimately. I do my best to watch what I know for sure will cause problems, & if I'm not sure, I keep away from the food just in case.

I wish you much luck, Carolyn...I really do.

Many hugs, Jacquie
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jacquie, what exactly is Crohn's?

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~