Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Bridge Problems

About twenty years ago I fell off a motorcycle and lost a couple of teeth on the top. They're on the side so with my bridge in you can't tell but I'm so vain I guess and the only person that's ever seen me without the bridge is my dentist. Then about six months ago I was pigging out on some hard candy and shattered three teeth on the bottom, guess that comes from not drinking milk. Ugh. I ended up getting a bridge and now suddenly the one on top doesn't fit right and it has rubbed a sore spot on my gums. My lip is swollen, looking really pretty (not) and when I take it out and leave it for a while it hurts more to put the bridge back in. Has anyone ever had problems similiar to this and if so, what do you do for the pain? It really hurts bad.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Go back to the person who made your second bridge! It sounds like a bad fit to me. As far as temporary relief, try Anbusol, at least until you can get back to the dentist.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I went back to him and then to another dentist as well and they say it's from grinding my teeth so much at night. I sound like a chain saw. I'm using the benzodent and it works really good. Tried all the others and it didn't seem to help. I just hate this. I'm too young for all this. Ha.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Darla253
they say it's from grinding my teeth so much at night. I sound like a chain saw. I just hate this. I'm too young for all this. Ha.
Question: Have you always had a problem with grinding your teeth at night or has this started recently with all of the stress caused by SS? If this is a recent problem, maybe you need to go to your doctor, explain the situation. Perhaps you can get something to calm you down and that will stop the grinding.

If the teeth grinnding is not a new thing, have you ever considered getting one of those mouth braces that prevent you from grinding your teeth? I used to have one and they work wonderfully! You can buy them over the counter now but the one I had was custom made by a dentist and worked much better! In fact, I have been thinking of getting a new one!
Old 03-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Abear

Oh gosh, the orthodontist made me so many mouth guards when I was growing up and I'd chew right through them. LOL. Have no idea how many my mother bought over the counter. She'd buy one for my brother to had for football and have to grab me several too. I've always done this. Mother says when I was a baby I was grinding my gums. I've been put on medications like crazy over the years. They thought it was nerves or perhaps just a nervous habit and nothing has stopped it. My husband will wake me up during the night telling me to stop. Growing up my room always had to be on the opposite end of the house from everyone else and they swore they could still hear me.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Darla

Yeah, Sweets, you need to go back to whomever fitted you. Maybe the upper bridge is the trouble too. He might have to grind down either the lower or the upper and ask you to pat down while he uses his paper tape to see where one of them aren't hitting. I tried sleeping without my upper teeth and I'd bite or grind my gums during the night and then it was sore to place my teeth back in in the morning. Try your Dr. again! I soak my uppers in the AM now and wear them to sleep. I have no more trouble. Good luck, Darla! ;-)
Old 03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Georgieanna

They've done that. With the paper that leaves the marks on the teeth. I've only got two teeth in the bridge on top and one's an eye tooth so it doesn't hit and the one on the bottom fits really good. This grinding is something I've always done. I have noticed that the wire on the bottom bridge seems lose so I've taken pliers and bent it myself. LOL. It now fits really tight. This helps when chewing on sticky things! The dentist I went to the last time was wonderful and he had me go to my doctor about my grinding and once again I was given tranqulizers to take at night but my husband said it's just made it harder to wake me up to make me stop. Guess it's like snoring.....either you do or you don't. Ugh.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

DARLA

Darla, then you might want to go back to the mouthpiece like Abear advised. My DD's girlfriend would drive me crazy when she slept over. I hope she outgrew it!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Georgieanna

I've had hundreds of mouth guards and just chew right threw them. I'm dangerous. LOL. I think it runs in my family. My sister does it from time to time also. Guess we're just nervous people.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking Darla

Darla, in the "old" days when I had braces, they made mouthpieces out of black rubber. Can you chew thru that too? If so, I truly don't know how your DH sleeps with you unless he's a snorer! Did I spell that right? Good luck to you!!