Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Elizabeth,

I agree with everything you have stated...I too had a profession in the medical field and it involved patient care, records, lab tests, and a brain that had to be always working...even after hours. Between working all the odd hours and emergencies, that happen, it is impossible for a person with Fibro, to keep that disease under control...my shifts ran from 5:00am to midnight..and the calls at home were always required too..my fellow workers soon learned to keep talking to me, for I can talk in my sleep, and not remember even talking to them...lol This was no place to be when you were in a brain fog. So I resigned and stay at home now...no money, but I do have a life. lol

So I feel it is a good trade off...I do volunteer work, and that keeps me busy, but it is flexible.

I am actually sleeping again...and it makes a world of difference.

Hope you are having a good day today!

Janet
Old 09-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sometimes I just have to laugh or spout

As I was catching up on the last few posts, my first response was we "peons" should pray or should I say "prey" upon celebrities to come out and admit their fibro. Because of their notoriety, some have taken the responsibility of giving certain illnesses their "voice." Muhamed Ali and Michael J Fox - Parkinsons; Wilford Brimley and Mary Tyler Moore - Diabetes and Juvenile Diabetes; Ann Jillian - breast cancer; Terri Garr - MS; Meredith Viera - prostrate cancer (husband's), etc... to name a few. I'm wondering if some of our famous counterparts are wondering just how they can admit their fibro when the medical field is just opening their eyes to this chronic condition. Could they be thinking "What would my adoring public think of me if I admit I have Fibro? Is that like saying I have IBS or hemmorroids (?). Now my agent wants me for that Pepto Bismol commercial!"

Seriously, I've learned that FM, CFS and the likes are all relative. You don't know how bad it hurts until you have it. It's not like some of the heavier illnesses (cancer, diabetes, heart disease). You don't need to have these illnesses in order to sympathize, empathize and understand the consequences of these diseases. Now, take someone with FM, like me, and I'm psychosomatically, humorously neurotically and hypochondriacally ill. (Sounds pretty normal for me!) I used to think that if I took my own life, then they would have to understand that this illness has some ugly outcomes. That'll show them. HA! I had a palm reader tell me once that while many will perceive that I'm emotionally unstable, I'm really alot stronger that they because I've had to play the game alot harder and I'll still be around!

So, while I would never pray for others to experience this, I do sometimes find my deliciously wishing. . . . . . Better be good but I am reminded of one of my favorite Irish blessings: "May God bless those who love us. And those who do not love us, May God turn their hearts. And if he cannot turn their hearts, May God turn their ankles so that we may know them by their limping." (OH! I'm being bad!)

Hey remember that conflict I mentioned with the other mother. She wrote me a nasty letter. Well, I responded, kindly if not a little long windedly, and told her she was missing out on a great friendship, if nothing else I'm good for a laugh or two and shame on her. Well, it's quite funny now (until I start second guessing myself ) and my 15 yr old ds was delighted when I gave him permission to burn the letter and flush it down the toilet! I cleaned house that day! I go girl!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Curious?

Last edited by cynstenquist; 09-02-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

First things first. The first thing is to learn to cope well with our various manifestations of the fibro/CFS continuum. Simultaneously, we gotta get the medical professions to admit FMS/CFS is "real" and is debilitating. Getting a "famous" spokesman is below these two in priority.

Just MNSHO!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I still feel if a person who is in the limelight...be it our top ranking government personell, congressman, senators, tv/movie celebrities...if they fell to this disease, the gateway of all the funding for medical research suddenly falls open.

There are far too many people that think, quit your complaining, it is only aches & pains...but it does take a toll on the rest of our bodies, livelihood, relationships, etc.
A toothache is an ache & pain...but there is a remedy for that...go to the dentist.

We need to have researchers working on a cure for Fibro, for many are being misdiagnosed, or labeled as "all in their heads".

People of fame, draw attention to the plight of illnesses, and the purse strings are wide open then, fundraisers start, research gets accelerated and a possibility of a cure starts to come to the surface.

It shouldn't be this way, but unfortunately it is...
Old 09-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Elizabeth, what is MNSHO?

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sorry Cyn! MNSHO means My No So Humble Opinion!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, in MNSHO, if you can't direct the wind, then adjust your sails. Sounds great but sometimes hard to do when you're in the throes of a flare-up. Right now, my anxiety is turning to humor and it is helping my back a little bit and I can't wait for the new fall shows to start - mindless thinking and silly humor (it really helps out when I'm in my crafting zone!

I'd like to know more about your home businesses. I'm going through Vocational Rehab to look into this. Suggestions?

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, being a nurse with a good bit of clinical experience and teaching in nursing schools, I am able to review medical cases for attorneys - malpractice, personal injury, worker's comp, and even toxic exposures and product liability when related to medical devices or medications. I do a good bit of research online for attorneys preparing cases, and write reports. In a few instances, I have even created the PowerPoint presentations for mediation and arbitration hearings. I also recommend the graphics to be used as exhibits in trials, locate expert witnesses, help prep witnesses, etc.

There are a multitude of opportunities for working at home, but don't believe in the get-rich-quick schemes from the MLM people. Working from home requires organization, a plan of action, and a way not only to market to get clients / customers, but to follow through so they become *satisfied* clients / customers and give word of mouth so you get even more clients / customers.

There are online catalog businesses, online sales, coordination of services, providing services. You have to research the niches that need filling into which you would fit. I know what I fit into, but I couldn't begin to determine what you would fit into.

If you are "crafty" you could do craft items to sell. If you can write, you could do reviews, or even write books yourself. The possibilities are absolutely endless.

If you don't think you have any skills, you can teach yourself new skills online. Do web pages. Learn to do research on line and do a clipping service.

Contact Amanda, who owns FC, and see what she has on tap. She has lots of possibilities for work-at-home and knows of even more.

But the bottom line for any home business is that you have to figure out what you can do that other people will pay you to do. There has to be a market for it, you have to be able to supply that market. You have to do the research, you have to set it up, you have to find out all the stuff required for setting up a business in your local area (licenses, funding, that kind of thing).

I was very tired and very much in pain when I started with my business, but I "pushed" myself some days, and took rest days as I had to. I developed marketing tools that would work for me, figured out ways to contact my potential clients. I had to do all that for myself. It took me a while, but I finally got my first case to review. then I did the very best job I could so I could get him to send me another one or two and refer his collegues to me.

I worked my tail off, but because I was working from home, I could decide *which* 20 hours of the day I would work, and I didn't have a long commute - just 6 feet across the hall from my bedroom to my office. My ol' curmudgeon set up internet connections beside my bed and beside my recliner and I got a laptop - so I could work wherever I needed to work - bed, chair, office. He was willing to cook when necessary, and to do housekeeping when necessary. He was most supportive. A totally supportive person is absolutely necessary. The rest you can fake as necessary.

There were days I had to make myself just get up. There were days I had to make myself pick up the phone. I thought I couldn't, I thought I felt too badly. But I did it anyway. I would make a phone call, carry it through, and then hang up and cry. There were days I made phone calls from bed. I made appointments, and no matter how badly I felt, I forced myself to keep them. I dressed to the nines, and went and put on a happy face, then when I got back to my car I would cry. There were times I had to get on my cell phone and have my husband come get me because I was beyond being able to drive. Then a day or so later, he'd take me to pick up my car. I attended conferences in town when I had to stay in the hotel instead of commuting. I attended conferences out of town where I had to rent a motorized scooter to get around. But I did it. I made myself do it because I had to.

And with all that stress, it still wasn't as hard as getting up and going to work had been - because mostly I could pace myself.

So, bottom line, you have to find out what you can do that has value and learn how to sell it. As the spiritual goes, "You got to stand your trials .... O nobody else can stand them for you, You got to stand them by yourself." With the support of your familyi ahnd true friends - including the people on this forum, however, you *can* do it.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks, friend! Alot of good information and possibilities to explore. My background is Human Resources with an emphasis on recruiting, interviewing, training and fair employment practices and fair housing (HUD). It's been a couple of years and I'm sure things have changed some but I never found it hard to catch up. While I do not particularly want to go back to HR, I have found that these skills have served me well in the past. I've contacted another FC friend who takes advantage of e-bay. So I have alot of avenues to explore! Thanks for the response.

I know some of the others work from home. What do you all do and how did you get started?

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I hate when my Fibro symptoms include the brain fog...it really bugs me, I find the more I work my brain but doing crossword puzzles, word games, memory games, reading hard textbooks, keeps my brain in shape...what do you think? I found this article in my email this morning...interesting.

Dementia is a progressive decline in mental ability, affecting memory, thinking, judgment, attention span and learning.

Although dementia usually develops after the age of 60, due
mainly to Alzheimer's Disease, it is not a natural part of aging.

To slow down the progression of dementia, try the following lifestyle changes:

Maintain a positive attitude. Studies show that a positive emotional state may help ward off cognitive decline. Social ties, involvement in church and community and meaningful relationships all seem to be protective.

Keep your blood pressure under control. High blood pressure is the strongest risk factor for multi-infarct dementia, another common cause of dementia that results from tiny strokes.

Exercise regularly. You can help slow memory loss by maintaining good circulation with regular aerobic exercise.

Keep your mind active. Combine physical and mental exercise: sing familiar songs while walking or read the newspaper while riding a stationary exercise bike.