Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thank you Linda!

I myself 2nd your wish to come true that they find something to work for all of us suffering with this blasted Fibro.
I have been home from work now for 3 yrs. The best part is that when I am having bad days, I no longer have that struggle to go into work anyway. I can't believe how many times I worked sick...so stupid of me.!

My theory...every day is a new day, and tomorrow just might be the day all of this illness is done, or a cure has come through.

This is called: H-O-P-E

janet
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet, I know for a fact that you help me keep my hope alive.
Thank you for your positive attitude even when you are on the floor. Maybe if enough of us wish, the dream will come true. We don't ask to feel like we are 20 again, just to feel close to what a normal person our age feels like. What a blessing that would be.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello all Fibromytes! That is what they call sufferers...lol

I thought I would post and see if there are any of us left here and if so how are you all doing?

My Fibro is in remission right now, PTL. Warm weather, sunshine and no dampness, really makes me feel almost normal.

So pop in and let me know how you all are coping.

Janet
Old 07-16-2004, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey, hey hey!!

Yuppers, still here...

But after a while.. who wants to talk about this ??

lolol...

You figure, even YOU guys will get sick of hearing about it.. You know?

But on a serious note, my 9 year-old has been diagnosed with Juvenils Rhumatoid Arthritis, and FIBROMYALGIA!

I was even more shocked to learn that she had fibro that I was to learn that she had JRA.

I was afraid that she ahd Lupus... But PTL.. It is not...

I just never ever knwe children could suffer from fibro... And she does suffer. But she is better when she gts plenty of exercise.. but not TOO MUCH exercise. It's a delecate balance.. and if she gets fatigued AND sick.. forget it.. she snds up getting a flare...

Then the JRA will tend to flaare, and the asthma will kick in....and the poor baby is immunological toast....

But you would never, ever know she is sick by looking at her. The JRA mostly affects her wrists, ankles and lower back.. so she's not a great runner, can't do great calesthenics in gym, and her stamena is not up to par with the other kids.. but all in all she is a "moose" of a kid. She is in great shape.

The fibro on the other hand, leaves her upper back in knots, her neck, jaw, upper arms and thighs feeling sore all the time... she is often grouchy, can't sleep at night, and she sometimes come in to nap in the afternoon.

It is IMPOSSIBLT to make most school officials understand that this illness is real, and I THANK G-D for the Individuals With Disibilities in Education Act of 1973.. which protects her rights for acomodations in the classroom...

Anyway.. I have turned a simple "hello" into a personal manifesto .. lol

"Hi Janet!" I'm still here too!

Val
Old 07-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Val! So sorry to hear about your daughter's health. The RA is so hard on your joints. Maybe since they caught it early they can prevent damage?

Val, when I remember back, I always had symptoms of Fibro as a child even...they called it growing pains...well, I am still growing because the pain is the same. lol

Hot, dry weather is the best for me. And alot of sunshine. Exercise too...as long as I get 30 mins of a walk in...I do well.

Are we the only sufferers here? I bet hey?

If you find any interesting news items on Fibro, or if I do Iwill post them here.

Love, Janet
Old 07-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anyone Else Using the Guaifenesin Protocol??

Since starting on Guaifenesin (600 mg twice a day) in 2003, I've been doing much, much better. Still have days of aching and fatigue and fog, but I've been able to totally leave off the pain meds and anti-depressants and muscle relaxants. Only take them when having a *really* miserable day - about once a month or so. This is a major, major change. I'm now able to exercise more, which is also helping.

Stress still leads to flares, but they are not as severe and don't last as long as they used to.

Anyone else on this wonderful medication?

Cheerio!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Anyone Else Using the Guaifenesin Protocol??

Quote:
Originally posted by ewriggs
Since starting on Guaifenesin (600 mg twice a day) in 2003, I've been doing much, much better.
How in the world does Guaifenesin help with fibromyaglia???

Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It has be speculated that guaifenesin helps with some inflamatory disorders, because as an expectorant, it thins the mucosal, as well as the synovial fluids in your body.

Many people report decreased pain symptoms while taking this medication. Some researchers atribute this to the fluid dynamics.. some to the placebo effect. ( which, by the way is a very real thing.. the placebo effect has been proven through MRI changes to induce changes in norepinephrine and dopamine levels in the brain, leading to changes in perception of pain, and your body's response and threshold to painful stimuli.)

I had been on guaifenesin many years ago, with no result. Unfortunately.

I know it works for some people.. BUt I found my wonder drug in Neurontin... I know for others, it has had no helpful effect, but for me, it has saved my sanity..

Val
Old 07-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Erwiggs, I have not tried that, but I heard going through the initial stages is very painful...my Fibro is in remission right now, and I keep my stress level low...I also have been sleeping well too. But I always do great in summer...it is the cold& damp that gets my muscles in a bundle.

So glad it works for you...you are blessed!

Gentle Hugs,
Janet
Old 08-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Actually, when I started on the Guai, I didn't notice any difference. I'm taking so many pills that I forgot I was taking it - just set it up each week with the rest of my pills without really thinking about it. After I had been on it about 6 or 8 weeks I had 4 "good days" in a row !! I had no idea why, but I just enjoyed, the, overdid a little (of course) and had a couple of really bad days following the overdo. A week or so later, I had 8 "good days" in a row!! This was more than I had experienced in over 5 years. Something was going on. It took about 6 more weeks (believe it or not) before I "made the connection" between my "good days" and the Guai I was taking! I do have "cycles" when I have several "bad" days in a row - usually with large lumps in my muscles. Then I have sevearl days of really dark urine and then a burst of energy that may last as many a 10 days. My "bad" days are nothing like I used to have, and my "good" days are so much better and so much more frequent! You can take my hypertension med, you can take my pain meds, but you can't have my Guai!!
In fact, I previously was on Skelaxin, Desaryl, and Ultram, plus taking Percogesic (over the counter, super acetominophen compound) when I was having a high pain day. I was so doped up all I could do was sit and stare into space.
Since the Guai started taking effect, I have left off the Ultram (took me 4 months to taper myself off), the Skelaxin and the Desaryl. I take Benedryl to encourage stage IV sleep (doesn't always work) and I've started a good exercise program (my ol' curmudgeon had a heart attack in May, and I've been going with him to cardiac rehab).
Yes, I still have bad days when I'm foggy, painful and so fatigued I can't function - but they are fewer all the time. According to the Guai literature it takes about 2 or 3 months for each year you have had fibro to achieve reversal. And once the disease is reversed, you have to keep taking the Guai to keep the fibro at bay. Kinda like a diabetic taking insulin, I guess.
But all this is worth it for the improvement in my life - I'm feeling romantic again (for the first time in too long), I have the energy and the *mind* to do my work in less time and more accurately. I am able to enjoy my grandchildren - play with them, take them places, etc.
I know this is not a "miracle" drug that will work with everyone, but for those of us it does work for, it truly is a miraculous change in our lives and health.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth