Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cyn, I don't know why..but wool feels so much better on me when I am chilly and can't seem to stay warm..My Mom made me a woolen comforter from all my old woolen skirts that I used to wear to school...I love it..SO when my whole body starts aching...I cover up with that..my theory is that I think the little scratchy feeling you get from wool..actually is good for my nerve endings...

When I am in about tears with body aches I also soak in a tub of Epsom salts...the epson salt takes the soreness out and also reduces swelling too..I swell from too much use..lol
Epsom salts are cheap too...but always ask your doctor first..for some people should not use them...

Love, JanetM.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Maybe that is one of my problems, My hubby always teases me because I always have a hot water bottle somewhere on my arms, chest,and back when the pain sets in. It really does not help but I think I go numb from the heat. Cyn I wake up in the middle of the night because my arm feels like dead weight as it has gone past just the tingling stage. I have such a hard time sleeping or falling asleep that it makes me angry because I can not just fall back to sleep.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Deb, I used to get angry too because I couldn't fall asleep, or stay asleep..so I learned to get up after 1/2 hr of tossing and turning and go to another room and read magazines..and get settled down again...sometime 2 extra strenght tylenol and a glass of milk help me...

hang in there Deb it will get better...or maybe we just learn how to adapt to the circumstances..

Love, Janet
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Janet

i do that too, I usually get up and turn the tv on to some boring program and hopefull get sleepy. I just get tired of being tired and wanting to go to sleep but not being able to. I seem to go in cycles. Just wish I could figure out all the triggers to them, more and more I am just learning to live with the pain.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-25-2004, 05:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Deb, look at the relationship with your monthly period cycle..just before mine starts I go through the "no sleep cycle" on those nights I get about 2 hrs sleep...after a few days I crash and sleep 10-12 hrs. lol To me the pain, and sleeplessness is more acute then. Even if you no longer have periods, your body still has a cycle.

Try keeping a diary..or what I did was note on the calendar the level of pain I was experiencing..1 as little 10 as the worse. You will see a pattern after a few months...and then you will know that maybe this part of the month is a good time to get outings done, or fun stuff you want to do..like skating, skiing, swimming, etc, or even when a dinner party at your home would be great.

Happy Turkey Day

Peace,Janet
Old 11-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks janet,

I am going to keep track because there are so many times I hate to commit to something and then it comes time and I don't have the energy and Iam in too much pain to go. Grocery shopping can even become a chore......I have gone to town with good intentions and then turned around and come back home because I know I can not handle it then.

Exercise has really helped this last year but I can still see the cycles, people look at you and all they see is a healthy looking person, they can not see the pain. More than once people at the martial arts studio have commented on why I miss claasses when I look fine...but it is taking all I have just to get my kids to class and home again on those days.

thanks for listening and for all the advice

Hugs
Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Deb, I know what you mean...people don't realize that you have an ailment...but your loved ones can tell right away, and your doctor can too.

I do not work outside my home any longer...and I never tried for Disability, not sure about the requirements.

I guess I feel if I did, I would be giving up "my hope".

Janet
Old 11-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am Often asked??

I am often asked what is this Fibromyalgia?

This is a good explanation of it..it is long, but it gives you an idea what daily life is for us sufferers.

Fibromyalgia

Definition

Fibromyalgia is described as inflammation of the fibrous or connective tissue of the body. Widespread muscle , , and multiple tender points characterize these conditions. Fibrositis, fibromyalgia, and fibromyositis are names given to a set of symptoms believed to be caused by the same general problem.

Description

Fibromyalgia is more common than previously thought, with as many as 3-6% of the population affected by the disorder. Fibromyalgia is more prevalent in adults than children, with more women affected than men, particularly women of childbearing age.

Causes and symptoms

The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known. Sometimes it occurs in several members of a family, suggesting that it may be an inherited disorder. People with fibromyalgia are most likely to complain of three primary symptoms: muscle and joint pain, stiffness, and fatigue.

Pain is the major symptom with aches, tenderness, and stiffness of multiple muscles, joints, and soft tissues. The pain also tends to move from one part of the body to another. It is most common in the neck, shoulders, chest, arms, legs, hips, and back. Although the pain is present most of the time and may last for years, the severity of the pain is changeable and dependent on individual patient perception.

Symptoms of fatigue may result from the individual's chronic pain coupled with about the problem and how to find relief. The inflammatory process also produces chemicals that are known to cause fatigue. Other common symptoms are tension headaches, difficulty swallowing, recurrent abdominal pain, , and numbness or tingling of the extremities. , anxiety, depression, or lack of sleep can increase symptoms. Intensity of symptoms is variable ranging from gradual improvement to episodes of recurrent symptoms.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is difficult and frequently missed because symptoms of fibromyalgia are vague and generalized. Coexisting nerve and muscle disorders such as , spinal arthritis, or may further complicate the diagnostic process. Presently, there are no tests available to specifically diagnose fibromyalgia. The diagnosis is usually made after ruling out other medical conditions with similar symptoms.

Because of the emotional distress experienced by people with this condition and the influence of stress on the symptoms themselves, fibromyalgia has often been labeled a psychological problem. Recognition of the underlying inflammatory process involved in fibromyalgia has helped promote the validity of this disease.

In 1990, the America College of Rheumatology developed standards for fibromyalgia that health care practitioners can use to diagnose this condition. According to these standards, a person is thought to have fibromyalgia if he or she has widespread pain in combination with tenderness in at least 11 of the 18 sites known as trigger points. Trigger point sites include the base of the neck, along the backbone, in front of the hip and elbow, and at the rear of the knee and shoulder.

Treatment

There is no known cure for fibromyalgia. Therefore, the goal of treatment is successful symptom management. Treatment usually requires a combination of therapies, , proper rest, and diet. A patient's clear understanding of his or her role in the recovery process is imperative for successful management of this condition.

Treatments found to be helpful include heat and occasionally cold applications. A regular stretching program is often useful. Aerobic activities focusing on increasing the heart rate are the preferred forms of exercise over most other forms of exertion. Exercise programs need to include good warm-up and cool-down sessions, with special attention given to avoiding exercises causing joint pain. The diet should include a large variety of fruits and vegetables which provide the body with trace elements and that are necessary for healthy muscles.

Adequate rest is essential in the treatment of fibromyalgia. Avoidance of stimulating foods or drinks (such as coffee) and medications like prior to bedtime is advised. If diet, exercise, and adequate rest do not relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia, medications may be prescribed. Medications prescribed and found to have some benefit include , , and anti-inflammatory drugs.

People with fibromyalgia often need a rheumatology consultation (a meeting with a doctor who specializes in disorders of the joints, muscles, and soft tissue) to decide the cause of various rheumatic symptoms, to be educated about fibromyalgia and its treatment, and to exclude other rheumatic diseases. A treatment program must be individualized to meet the patient's needs. The rheumatologist, as the team leader, enlists and coordinates the expertise of other health professionals in the care of the patient.

Alternative treatment

can be helpful, especially when a family member is instructed on specific massage techniques to manage episodes of increased symptoms. Specific attention to mental health, including psychological consultation, may also be important, since depression may precede or accompany fibromyalgia. Other alternative therapies, including , , homeopathic medicine, Chinese traditional medicine (both and herbs), , and Western botanical medicine, can assist the person with fibromyalgia to function day to day and can contribute to healing.
Prognosis

Fibromyalgia is a chronic problem. The symptoms sometimes improve and at other times worsen, but they often continue for months to years.

Prevention
There is no known or specific way to prevent fibromyalgia. However, similar to many other medical conditions, remaining as healthy as possible with a good diet, safe exercise, and adequate rest is the best prevention.

Terms:
Connective tissue
Tissue that supports and binds other body tissue and parts.

Lyme disease
An acute recurrent inflammatory disease involving one or a few joints, believed to be transmitted by a tickborne virus. The condition was originally described in the community of Lyme, Connecticut, but has also been reported in other parts of the United States and other countries. Knees, other large joints are most commonly involved with local inflammation and swelling.

Rheumatology
The study of disorders characterized by inflammation, degeneration of connective tissue, and related structures of the body. These disorders are sometimes collectively referred to as rheumatism.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you Janet! That is one of the best and thorough explanation I have read about Fibro! I am saving your post for future resource when asked, "What is Fribromyalgia."

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Curious?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Janet I have printed the article off and i am taking it to the doctors office this week!!

I was feeling pretty good but then I overdid it this weekend. I was out late Fri and Sat and did a 2 hour cardio class on sat. Today I am very sore and migrains brain fog all that good stuff, church was nice this morning but it took everything to sit through the service. The rest of the day has been quiet, wish hubby was home so I could nap, of well early to bed I suppose.

Hugs
Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson