Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Prostate Cancer

My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. To say this was a shock is an understatement. The man has heart problems that are serious but we never expected this. Then again who does expect cancer to strike?

I am going to do some research but in the meantime I would like to know if anyone else has had family members suffer with this. Can it be hereditary? My dh's family has a strong streak of heart related problems and d-f-i-l, dh and one d-b-i-l have neurological problems, though none are the same or related.

I worry enough already about dh's heart health. He inherited a high cholesterol problem from both parents and is on Zocor. (His dad has had by-pass surgery twice, his mom once after a heart attack! ) The brother with neurological problems has also had a heart attack. NOW cancer!

Does anyone have any advice, words of wisdom or knowldege on the subject to share?

Thanks in advance!
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-23-2003, 07:31 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

No advise. But I worry about my husband. Not that it runs in his family, but I think he should be tested. He said when he's 40. He'll be 38 in a few months. I go through my exams 2 x a year. Men.

I think they suggest (they again? lol) a higher fiber diet. But not sure.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

From the little research I've had time to do so far, it is rare in men under 50. Thank God! The cancer does tend to be herditary too from what I've read. When a man has a father or brother with it, their chances increase double. You can bet dh will continue to get exams now. I'LL make his appointments if he doesn't. He had no choice when active duty. Active duty get a physical every year during thier birth month.

Now I need to be as proactive about my own health. Haven't been for my exam in aobut 2 years now.

Jayne

Old 04-23-2003, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't enjoy it I tell him, but I want to be healthly and around for my grandchildren some day.

I have family history of ovarian cancer and breast cancer both sides of the family, so I'm real good about going every 6 months.

Yuck! But it's over in a few mintues.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

MY FIL had surgery for prostate cancer almost 12 years ago. Currently, he has three brothers that have been diagnosed with it. Although FIL will be 84 this year, two of his brothers that have been diagnosed are in their early to mid 60's, the other one is 57. All three had surgery. Only one (aged 63) is having to go through chemo and radiation.

FIL's other three brothers died young of heart problems so we will never know if they also would have been stricken with it.

Our family doctor says that since DH has an uncle that was diagnosed in his 50's, he needed to start having annual exams and an annual PSA (blood test) at 40. Otherwise, he could have had an exam and a baseline PSA at age 40 and then not again until he turns 50. (as long as the first tests were normal).

I informed our doctor to do the exam and PSA at his next diabetes check-up since he is now 42 and hasn't had an exam or PSA since he turned 40!

And you all are right! It's the least they can do since we go for a pap and pelvic exam every year! AND, its the least they can do to stick around for their family!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for the input Abear! Dh has to go every few months to see the doctor for blood work about his cholesterol med so I'll insist that he also have an exam and baseline PSA. He'll be 46 in August so it's certainly not too early. We already deal with high cholesteraol and he's in remission from a neurological disease so the last thing we need to worry aobut his him developing cancer that could have been caught early.

BTW my f-i-l tells us they caught his early so his prognosis is good. He's at the doctors a lot for his other medical conditions so this is a good thing. Oh and he is on radiation therapy.

Jayne

Old 04-29-2003, 10:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leukemia

Hello-new here. Husband has Leukemia--on chemothereapy now since April 02, he also has heart disease and diabetes, latest arthritis in spine, he's only 52. He had to retire, disabled now, homebound most of the time, sleeps alot, bad mood most of the time, bossy, down right mean, always was some, but worse now. I do understand--I too am disabled, chronic spinal problems and chronic pain, asthma, blood disorder. I try to stay up beat but get depressed alot. We both take alot of meds. I do volunteer work in school few hrs a month, he does TV-only-won't do anything else. We see our grandchildren, but that not as enjoyable as it used to be, we run out of energy much faster now, and patience (they are 8, 4, 2, and another due any day). I try to keep busy and in contact with friends, but they don't seem to understand what's going on--they are all healthy, I guess they mean well. we get no help, older children on their own, house falling apart inside and out, financial problems now both on Soc.Sec. Disab.. I am trying tomake our home as clean and cheerful as I can since we are both in it so much now--but everything takes so long now--have to keep stoping to rest. thanks for letting me spout.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

margelynne we'll be here for you any time you need to spout, vent or whatever!

Jayne

Old 05-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am very pleased to say that my father-in-law has been released from radiation treatment! He called dh last week to let us know that they were leaving the next day to go on another cruise to celebrate. (They go on 2 or 3 cruises a year--all but one to the Carribean. Once to Alaska. WHY the same old same old I don't know except they find it very relaxing). I told dh that for him to be released so soon after we found out aobut the cancer means he has known for a while now but just hadn't told us. Oh well--his family is very secretive like that. I'm just pleased he's doing well.

Jayne

Old 05-14-2003, 11:45 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good news!