Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-16-2003, 08:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Melanoma and times ticking for Mom.

My mom is only 62 I am 35. She and dad were divorced when I was 5 or 6. We have never been physically close distance wise, but we think alike on many things and have the same ways and sense of humor. I love her oh so much and have always thought about her monthly if not more. I've cherished every moment I've gotten to spend with her as a child and as an adult.(it hard to explain being close to someone but never seeing them. I call her at least once a month).

My grandmother had melanoma and died from it when it went internal. My mother had it on her hand, got it removed and now it is all through her internal. She has been given pain medication (Morphine-which is pretty strong) and told come back in one month and we'll see how your doing. She doesn't want to fight it (wish she did). I have two sons. One who is 6 which she has seen twice before, and my one year old (15 months) which she hasn't even seen a picture of him (my fault I haven't even taken any =(.... )

I want to go see her and take the kids, but I don't have the money. Me Fl her Oh. She heard about it from another relative (my sister)and said you don't have the gas money. Which is true, I don't have any money right now. I would need to rent a car, and rent hotel rooms up, there and back. she lives in a trailor.

I wish my sister hadn't told her because I'll feel guilty as hell for not going, I wish I had taken more pictures so she could see my sons more, I'm fearful of what is in store for me since this is a hereditary disease.

Thanks for listening,
Gidge
Old 04-03-2003, 12:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well it has now the 3rd of April and my mother is doing very bad. She had a seizure at 3am last night and was taken to the hospital. This was brought on by dehydration. I don't think she will be with me much longer. She is under hospice care. If anyone has been through this, please let me know.

I'm going to miss her so.

I managed to beg and borrow to get the money to go. I leave in the morning. I will get there sometime saturday.

Pray for us and hug your family.

Gidge
Old 04-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gidge--prayers for a safe trip go with you. Enjoy the time you have and try not to feel guilty. She's a mother and she understands.

God bless!
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Shawn, I always thought of cancer as a death sentance, not a chronic disease. She has since died of Melenoma on April 21st.

I'll miss her sorely.

Thought I better update since you moved it to a place where it might get read..:0)
Old 05-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Gidge I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My own father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer a while back so I kind of know the fear and uncertainty. However I don't know the feeling of loss and can only imagine how painful this is for you.

If you need to talk about it we're here.

Jayne

Old 05-23-2003, 05:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My father had prostate cancer as well. They removed the whole thing and he has an implant. Not sure how old your father n law is but if he is still young and "active" He might want to look into it.
My father gets very emotional now and I'm not sure if it is becuase they remove his pogesterone maker or if he's just getting older. I told him to look for hormone replacement but the doctors say he doesn't need it. Also if he has a incontenence problem now and has to wear pads. I'm not sure if there was anything that could have been done for him aboutt his. I was quite young when this all happened and I never thought to ask about all the after effects of it all.
Hopefully they will get it all before it spreads. I do not know if prostate cancer will do that or not.

Blessings to him and you all.

Gidge
Old 05-23-2003, 05:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes, prostate cancer can be a big killer for men. It metasticizes to the bone quickly if not found and treated. My f-i-l was caught early thank God. He has so many other health problems that this is just one more on top of all. (He has heart problems that required by-pass surgery twice. The last one almost killed him). He is still active enough that they go on cruises at least twice a year but I doubt this will continue much longer.

If I'm not mistaken incontinence and impotence CAN be a side effect of prostate surgery or at least it used to. Hopefully modern medicine has made some advances.

I hope things get better for you. Prayer in faith works wonders so will be praying for you!

Jayne