Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-24-2003, 01:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome

Hello all,

Has anyone every been diagnosed with "Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome?" This was formerly known as "Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy"

It is one of those small Neurological problems that certain surgeries might cause.

My CRPS was casued by a carpal tunnel surgery and a shoulder release surgery that were done the same day.

I was told that I was at a "small" risk for neurological problems with the surgery by my surgeon. He did not list all the possible complications that might exist but said it was a small risk.

I later found out that women with small, narrow wrists should NOT have carpal tunnel surgery because they are at a "HUGE" risk of contracting what was then called RSD.

Had I known then what living with the complications would be like I would not have had the surgery!

My present Dr. says that the surgery was the start of all my neurological probs including fibro.

I look forward to discussing this with you!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Interesting.. An orthopedic surgeon told you all this? I'm curious..

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hmmmm, hope you still check in here...

My DH has MS and has chronic pain, so I have a tiny understanding of living w/chronic pain.

Also have a friend who has lived w/chronic pain for many years following a skiing accident. She is with the Houston Chapter of American Chronic Pain Assoc.

If you are interested, email me & I'd be happy to send you some info from them.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I believe I'm correct in saying that CRPS and RSD are both autoimmune diseases. That said, they can be brought about by any form of change or trauma to the body, yes including a surgery, car accident, a bad fall, etc. I don't have either of these but I do have multiple autoimmune diseases and I run an online list that's open to anyone who needs answers, help or support for themselves or a loved one with these diseases. There are hundreds of them and they are all linked in one way or another and the probability is high that if you have one of these diseases, you will contract others over time.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has or if you'd like to check in on the group, I'm sure we have at least one member with experience in specific diseases.

Please visit our website at:
http://ACES_Autoimmune.tripod.com

To subscribe to the group, send an email to:
[email protected]

Care, support and understanding for those with autoimmune diseases and their caregivers:
Old 03-09-2003, 09:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

OOPS!

To check out the autoimmune group, go here!

[email protected]

Sorry about that!!!

Christy

Care, support and understanding for those with autoimmune diseases and their caregivers:
Old 03-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I recommend "Pain Free. A Revolutionary Method For Stopping Chronic Pain", a book by the author Pete Egoscue, copyright 1998. It address musculoskeletal balance, with easy exercises to help build and maintain the balance.

Best of health!

MauraM
Old 03-10-2003, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome

Dear Jeanne,

When I was in the Ortho Drs. office for pre surgery instructions you have to sign all those darn papers. It was at that time that he said the carpal tunnel surgery and shoulder realese surgery put me at a "small risk" of some neurological difficulties.

After surgery I had continued pain and started to search the internet for answers. I found a RSD site that discribed all my pain symtoms to a T. So I went back to the ortho man and asked him if it was possible that I had RSD. He refused to answer me - except to say that he did not believe that this sort of pain was real.

I have since been diagnosed with RSD (CRPS), fibromyalgia and my arthritis is MUCH worse!

Linda

Linda
Old 03-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Linda... ok.. but diagnosed by whom? What credentials? An MD?
I'm even more curious now.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-13-2003, 03:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was diagnosed by a family physician who was familiar with FMS.

Linda
Old 03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear folks,

This has nothing to do with FMS or RSD - but my family needs prayer!

My 8 yr old grandson was attacted by another family member's pet dog. He has 12 puncture wounds and numerous bruises and contusions.

He is at home but is restricted to only walking when neccesary & no outside play for a week at least. The ER Dr. said he does not stitch dog bites shut as they need to drain. So we are bathing him 3-4 times a day and re dressing his wounds at that time.

Sorry to bring this to you - but as you might expect I am really struggling with my health issues due to the stress.

Thanks for listening,

Linda

Linda