Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-23-2002, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Scoliosis

I am a sixty year old woman and have suffered a scoliosis all my life. Obviously it is getting worse as I get older and the tightened muscles cause me much discomfort. Especially when I try to take a walk as the doctor suggests. Also at night it causes a problem. I just wondered if there were others out there with this problem and if they had any suggestions that might help. Thanks to everyone.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb ouchies

Hi, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my muscles will start spasming when the joints are badly swollen. Some of the tricks I have come up with are:
1)at night take a Benadryl or two (helps to relax muscles and is over the counter). A prescription version is Hydroxyzine (another antihistamine that is good for muscle relaxing). Check with your doctor first for their ok.
2)heating pad city and/or a full electric blanket UNDER me (don't fall asleep with it like that though - might burn yourself.)
3)hot, hot shower followed by oil to keep the skin moisturized.
4)gentle stretching-slowly-V E R Y S L O W L Y.
5)When it's majorly bad nothing but a muscle relaxer will do - fortunately that's not that often.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Scoliosis

Hello, I was interested to read your post re:Scoliosis as I too have Scoliosis (and I note that you are in Western Australia... so am I!).
I was wondering, have you had surgery for your condition? I am 44 years old and I had surgery at 17 years of age (Harirngton's Rod). My spine gives me little trouble - except in the neck area occasionally (sleeping without a pillow works wonders for me!).
I do have restricted movement due to the fusing of my vertebrae but I know my limitations and I have little trouble, which is good.
I actually have no problems when walking as you do.
I would be happy to keep in touch to see how you are getting on.
Terri
[email protected]
Old 12-03-2002, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't have your condition but over the last 2 years I have had a progressive worsening of muscle and bone pain that is not arthritis related and the doctor can't seem to find a cause for. Many tests; many trial meds; but nothing helping. At times I couldn't walk because of the sharp unrelenting pain. I honestly thought I'd broken my foot the first time it happened. 2 weeks ago I started taking MSM and I've only had 1 day with any pain since then. There is a book called "The Miracle of MSM". I do not know if your condition is covered in the book but I know it's helped me tremendously. Good luck to you. I hope you get some relief somehow.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have suffered from scoliosis also, most of my life. When I was 14 they discovered I had it. I was fitted with a Milwaukee brace, which I hated. It was painful and auckward. The doctors wanted to do surgery because it was so advanced but my parents would not have it. I only wore the brace 2 years. It does little good because gravity is going to take the tole. I was sent to a back clinic when I was in my twenties and they wanted to do surgery, placing two rods that would be fused to four vertabrae in my back.
I've been seeing a chiropracter for years now, I am now 46 and I am able to live and do as I please. The scoliosis has stopped advancing and I stay pain free most of the time. I also take the glucosimene chondroitin in the triple dose. It has changed my life.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Scoliosis

My daughter Tehgan who is 13 now has scoliosis. She had spinal fusion surgery in August of 2001. Her spine was curved at 64 degrees when she went in, came out at 22 degrees and has now settled at 40 degrees. She has constant back pain and has the hump still. I am interested in everything you all have to say because I am sure it will help her in the future. With her being young I am not sure if I should give her MSM or Chron.... of course I cant spell it but I know what was being refered to as my father takes it for arthritus in his shoulder and he swears by it. I never thought of giving her that for pain but I am going to look into both of them and ask her doctor if she can take it. Any information is greatly appreciated from me.
Felicia
Old 12-03-2002, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am not sure on the dosing concerns for glucosamine but for MSM (methylsulponylmethane) you can not overdose on it. It is a naturally occuring sulpher that we all have in our bodies but due to the dietary and farming method changes over the last 50 years or so we don't get as much as we used to. (Cattle and chickens are not raised on grass anymore and no one drinks raw milk, either) I give 500 mg a night to my 17 year old daughter for back pain. She's well endowed and has a 16 inch waist and develops pain in her back between her shoulder blades. I have read various times that any MSM you do not use in 12 hours is flushed from the body. It is very water soluable. I prefer capsules but my husband uses about 9 grams a day of the powder mixed in water. (His restless leg syndrome and horrible back pain have ceased!) I myself take 1000 mg. a day (I am planning on going to 1500 eventually). It should be taken with meals to prevent stomach upset and if you are not getting plenty of vitamin C you should take that as a supplement with it. There is a lot of info on the internet about it. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mild Scoliosis

Hi All: I am not sure that what has worked for me would help you, but I felt if it might make a difference it was worth letting you know about. I only have a mild problem, but can get constant pain in my upper back especially if I don't pay attention. I too use a qualified chiropractor - one who wants me to be well and doesn't try to have me come in every week for the rest of my life. I see him once or twice a year, he says I should probably see him every three months, but I get too busy. He has also encouraged me to get professional massages and it helps greatly by relaxing my spinal muscles. I get them several times a year, although he says I would benefit from getting one every month. The greatest help has been Yoga! The slow stretching kind, I use one of "Lilias" yoga tapes, she teaches very gentle stretching. When I first started I didn't think anything so slow and gentle could be doing anything, but it certainly does. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Sharon
Old 12-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 11. The doctor at that time found that one leg was shorter than the other. I didn't start to wear a lift in my shoe until I was 27, when I developed bursitis in my hip too. I wear a 3/4" heel lift, and I have had relatively little pain since then. That was 24 years ago.
That can always be an aggravating cause of increased pain, so maybe you could be checked for it.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

My 12yo son has just had his yearly check up with the school nurse and she sent me a note to say that Michael had scoliosis could I come into school and she would explain it to me, but, when she went to show me his back she said his muscles must have relaxed or stretched and that his back was even again....so we will just have to keep an eye on him to see if anything happens.