Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks everybody to responding to my first post on the Scoliosis thread. I really appreciated all the information so far. I had never heard of MSM before but will look into it. I do take glucosomine but it seems I could take more. I have 1000mgm per day. I have been a bit hesitant to try a chriopractor because I once went to one who only seemed interested in getting you there every week and I really do not have the money to spend on even once a month but I will have to try to squeeze the budget. Might even check with a podiatrist on the heel lift idea. Anyway lots of food for thought and it was a great help just to know that there are others out there. I just encourage parents and young people to act NOW. My parents didn't and by the time it really was bad I was too old for operations or braces ect.

Jennifer
Old 12-04-2002, 12:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

owww

I have a mild case but when I get stressed, carrying my bag,backpack whatever on one shoulder , boy does it start to get very uneven!
Stretching exercises can help you reduce the curvature to a certain point again this all depends on your severity and your general health and your commitment to doing it REGULARLY.
Please do check out yoga or pilates classes .You will see a difference in the back!
I also did physiotherapy(for some injuries) and it ended up straightening up my spine even better.The physio technique is called Mezieres.(it is kind of similiar to pilates )You might want to consider it.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have very mild scoliosis. Due to many auto accidents, I have had a lot of back pain. Massages and very light aerobics in the pool at the "Y" have helped tremendously.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Has anyone ever heard of or tried the Hang-Ups Inversion Table

I saw it on the Home Shopping Network channel or (hsn.com) to view it. It looks like something I might just invest in. I've had a slight case of scoliosis since the age of 10. The pain in my upper back can get very intense where all I can do is take an 800 mg of motrin to relax it.

Here's some info on the Inversion Table. It's kind of costly $299., but I truely believe it will provide great relief.

Hang Ups Inversion Table
Item Number: 190-376

Increase circulation, relieve back pain, relieve tension, and relax with the Hang Ups inversion table!

Hanging upside down may not be the first thing you think of doing when you're feeling stressed or sore - until you actually try it! After you see what it can do for you, using your Hang Ups inversion table may become your first choice for relaxing. Designed to increase circulation and flexibility while improving your posture, the inversion table lets gravity work to elongate your body - the idea being to help re-establish space between vertebrae to prevent pressure on the nerve roots - and help increase the flow of oxygen through your systems. Just a few minutes of use each day can make a difference.

This heavy-duty table (model #F7000) is black, powder-coated steel with a scratch-resistant finish. It measures 28" L x 45" W x 58" H, and features a washable blue nylon mat, adjustable tether straps to pre-select an angle, and side hand grips for rotational control. The table is built to hold up to 300 pounds for heights 4'8" to 6'6". Comes with a 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My only fear with the upside down aparatus is that I'll get stuck hanging upside down and not have the strength to pull myself upright again, and I'll be home alone!!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 07:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hang Ups

In regards to the Hang Ups system, there's a safety strap that you can attach to assure that you don't go too far back. Also, you go backwards by putting your arms above your head and you go forward by putting your arms back down by your side. It's all in the balance. This systems takes all gravity pull off of your body to enable you to stretch (where otherwise you wouldn't be able to).

In any case, always check with your doctor first to make sure they see it safe for you to use.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been able to participate for awhile but my father passed away on Dec 7th and I have been occupied with looking after my mum etc. Now Christmas is upon us and the weather here is sooooo hot it is hard to get up the energy to do anything. Fortunately my husband and i are celebrating on our own this year so will take everything very quietly.

Thanks for all the ideas etc. I have been able to find MSM here but only in powder form. Fortunately it doesn't taste too bad but capsules would have been better. I'll let you all know how I progress.

About the inverter machine. I used to have one and it was okay for stretching the back but as I got older it made my hip sockets ache as if the weight of my body was pulling my hip joints apart. It may be fine for someone younger though.

Look forward to hearing more.

Jennifer
Old 12-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jenny

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your father. It's hard to go through, especially with the holidays. I hope that your loss will lessen with time and only good memories will remain.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Charlene

Thank you for you condolences. I will miss my dad very much but he was nearly 87 and had been in poor health for a long time. No pain or cancer or anything horrible. His heart was bad and his organs had just gotten worn out. He only weighed 70kgs (130lbs I think) and he was 6 ft tall. We were glad that his passing was swift and he died at home where I was able to help him and Mum as well. So we remember him gladly and believe that he is at home with the Lord.

Thank You
Jennifer
Old 12-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jenny

There was a piece on "Good Morning America" on scoliosis this morning. You may be interested to read about at. They said the story would be at abcnews.com
It's always good to hear about new treatments, and any help. !
The Lord bless and keep you all, have a wonderful Christmas!