Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Massive Stroke

My father just had a massive stroke on Sept 3rd. I was wondering how many others have had a family member who has had a stroke and what to expect. So far he has lost his mobility to his left side. He has very little movement on his left leg and no feeling to it. And nothing on his left arm/hand. His left eye is also impaird and his speech. We just moved him to an intensive physical therapy hospital today and I wondered how long therapy might be? We have had two nights where he replapsed and his blood pressure soared and he lost mobility to his right hand and foot alittle and now they are tingly. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
Thanks, Felicia
Old 09-14-2002, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

fish im sorry to hear about your dad!i hope the best for him....my dad had a bad stroke jan.1st.he stayed in rehab for 1 1/2 months.he had lost everything on his left side all the way down.. when he left rehab he walked out with a walker..they are amazing people there. plus my dad was determaned to do everything again..
believe me it was a struggle for him but he did it. he was going to theropy 2 times a week. and was doing good but he had a problem with his oxygen so he had to stop. we thought he would regain everything he wants to drive so bad but we cant let him and dr. said NO.i guess the way he is now is the way it will be. I thank the Lord for any time I have left with him....i will keep you and your father in prayer.........
Old 09-14-2002, 11:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle recovery from strokes

I can tell you from experience that there is no normal to recovery. It varies greatly from person to person. It makes a difference in what part of the brain was effected. How aggresive the doctors are and how much physical therapy is given. There are a lot of things to be taken into consideration. My Uncle Sam was totally paralyzed on his right side but still drove a truck everyday to his cousins house for his lunch. My freind Emily learned to walk again with a quad cane 4 years after her stroke.
They have a lot of devices that are made to assist one in the recovery. Like thicker silverware, tools to grasp things that would be out of reach. My Aunt Doris's speech was affected so she had to write eveything down. I could usually understand her but others could not.. Make sure your loved ones get all the rehab care that they can. There is Physical therapy. Occupational theray, Speech therapy. and probably a whole lot more. Be patient! It is very frustrating when they don't seem to be making progress but don't give up on them. It is a lot of hard work for both patient and family but it's worth it. My dad's friend was totally unresponsive till the 3rd day them all of a sudden he was just fine and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. He needed no follow up care at all. Prayers do work! Good Luck!
Valerie
Old 09-14-2002, 12:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Valerie,

You're right that there is no Normal where stroke victims are concerned. My husband had a stroke in April of 2001, and had to
retire early.
Although his stroke was considered "minor", it involved the left side, right side, back and front of his brain. So, even though there was no Paralysis, and no Speech problems, there are so many small things that it ends up being a real challenge.
He can use his left hand, but can not feel anything with it. So whenever he uses that hand he has to look at what he is doing to make sure he actually has hold on the object. He can not tell the difference between hot and cold, or sharp and dull with his left side.
He is very slow in his physical movements now, and does not think as quickly as before. However, there is nothing wrong with his thinking or reasoning ability except that it takes longer.
I would have to say depression is the biggest enemy of a stroke victim and their family. Sometimes you feel as if the whole world is on your shoulders.
My husband has progressed as far as he can with his recovery, and I feel very fortunate that he is in this good shape when I think of friends who were not so lucky. But I do miss the person he was.

God bless and keep you all
Maggie
Old 09-14-2002, 03:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I live 3 blocks from my parents and as i said dad has been sick and it was because of his oxygen was to high.He has been real weak and doesnt do very much . well I had a big surprise today, dad called and he said to watch for him that he was walking to my house.He came for a while and walked back home.He has a good walker it has a seat on it so he can stop and sit if he has too..this is a big step last week he was in the hospital and barely made it out of bed to the bathroom.....
I agree about the depression..some times i think thats the main thing.Here is a man that has worked since he was 11 and now cant do the things he use todo. well thanks for listening...
Old 09-14-2002, 07:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Seventeen years ago my dad, at the age of 70, had a massive stroke which affected his left side. While it took awhile, he recovered enough to walk with a cane, live at home, drive, and function pretty independently for years, even taking care of my mom until her Alzheimers forced her into a nursing home (for eighteen months before she died).....some ten years, several major surgeries, and numerous strokes later he sold the house and moved into a retirement apartment. Just three years ago his health forced him into a nursing home. He is very fragile now physically and mentally, has had numerous small strokes in the last couple of years. It is difficult for all of us to see him helpless, but I have a five year old daughter who wants to see him the few times a year we can get to the city, and he always enjoys the visits....she is the only child we have ever seen there, and the old folks get such a kick out of the little ones. I ramble on, but Dad's decline has in many ways been a blessing.....we know a lot about the quality of mercy not being strained now.....and we have many occasions to make amends for our mistakes from our younger years......I just hope that if I live to be that old that people will care for me as kindly as he has been cared for. Take care, God Bless and take good care of yourself.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks!

I just wanted to say Thank You for all the posts to my question on massive strokes. The replies have given a better insight on the road I have to face. As many of you said the depression is the hardest to deal with. I can see improvement in his speech already and a tiny bit of movement in his left leg. Nothing in his left arm. My father is a stubborn impatient man so I hope that this experience teaches him to be more patient and to quit making hasty decisions in life. I will do as you have all said and take it day by day hoping for the best. Thanks so much for the information you have all provided for me.
Felicia
Old 09-17-2002, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Felicia,

As has been mentioned in other replies, there are many factors that can impact recovery. Your father is only 14 days out and has been transfered to rehab. That is a positive sign in and of itself. While there, as you probably already know, he will receive intensive physical, occupational, and speech therapy. Probably twice a day, six to seven days a week. Prior to discharge, all three groups of therapists should meet with you and other family members that will be involved in his care on his return home, to discuss his particular needs and home safety. They might request a visit to his home to assess home safety and to make specific recommendations. These recommendations could include follow up in home care (take all that is offered, including home health aids), equipment, and perhaps even rearranging furniture/bedrooms to make the environment easier to maneuver in and to make it safer.

Many peoply have mentioned depression. That is a major factor in determining recovery. If your father appears depressed, discuss this with his primary physician at the rehab facility. It is possible that medication could help. That would have to be determined, however, by the physician.

Finally, it is a positive sign that he is showing recovery in speech and movement. Many patients continue to improve over several months. Some even up to a year later. I am not trying to predict how your father will do, but keep your spirits up. With proper and timely intervention, many things are possible. Rehab and recovery are not an exact science. If it were, we would not need human therapists to treat these patients.

Have faith.

dinsky