Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-29-2002, 03:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Need good web sites for cancer patient

My dear uncle has just had a malignant lump removed from his back. He will soon undergo more surgery to see how far cancer has spread (I think they said itís melanoma). My poor aunt, who has a gentle, childlike spirit, is already a basket case. They live in a small town and I would like to direct them to some good cancer support sites on-line. I looked myself but got so many hits I didnít know where to start. Can anyone recommend some specific sites? I think it would help them to be able to see that people do survive and to educate themselves about what to expect and what treatments are available. I know the internet was a great blessing to my parents when Dad was facing prostate cancer (he is fully recovered, praise God!). Thank you!
Old 08-03-2002, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cancer sites

Hi. I am sorry to welcome you to this world. I have mesothelioma, a cancer of the lung pluera caused by asbestos. The first thing I found out is that you have to find out the specific kind and type of cancer you are needing info on. One of the first sites you should see is the National Cancer Institute...from there it is just a matter of wading through all the stuff on that specific kind of cancer. There are also sites with support groups online to help find more information. The American Cancer Society, Cancer Treatment Centers of America, etc. All will ask for the kind of cancer you want to know about. When you see how much information is out there, you wonder why someone hasn't found a cure yet. Good luck and don't give up...it just takes someone willing to sit down and do some research. Prayers to you and your family.
Sueacan
Old 08-03-2002, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1998. The websites that we found most helpful were the American Cancer Society and
Mayo Health. (with Mayo Health, you need to have the correct name of the specific cancer)

May I offer some other advice? State of mind is one of the utmost things in beating cancer. Family members need to stay positive and try to keep your uncle as upbeat and positive as possible. This especially means your aunt and any children they have.

My Dad was able to stay upbeat during his entire battle. It was not easy...and he did have a couple of times where he just had to cry and get it out of his system and then get positive again. He has been in remission for 3 years now. All of his doctors say that they feel his state of mind tremendously helped him in his fight. In fact, every now & then he gets a call from his oncologist for a favor. His oncologist does the chemo in a big room in his office compound. Every now & then he calls and asks my Dad to come give a patient or two a pep talk while they are getting their chemo. Dad always goes to do what he can to help others in the fight since he's been there and knows what it is like.

Good luck to your family. You all will be in my prayers.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cancer Site

Welcome to the American Cancer Society's Cancer Resource Center.
Cancer Site
Here you'll find answers to questions about the nature of cancer, its causes, and risk factors.We also discuss the latest strategies for prevention and early detection, new diagnostic techniques, and the latest treatment options. You can also find information about alternative and complementary methods in this section.
There is important information for living with cancer and a bookstore where you can order such books as Informed Decisions. In addition, you can find statistical information, links to other websites, and answers to questions such as: What is cancer? Am I at risk for cancer? How can I tell if I have cancer? What should I ask my doctor? What happens after treatment?

If you have questions about what you read or need additional services, please contact us via email or call us at
1-800-ACS-2345. We're open 24 hours a day.

http://www3.cancer.org/cancerinfo/load_cont.asp