Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Insulin resistance

My doctor recently told me I was "insulin resistant". It scared me, I don't want to develop diabetes! Anyone out there with the same problem?

I have been reading that a high protein, low carbohydrate diet is best for this condition. Would love to share knowledge and ideas on this subject.

Thanks.

awf60 in Wyoming
Old 07-08-2002, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

insulin Resistance

If you are insulin resistant, how were you keeping your blood sugar under control before going on the high protein, low carb diet?

Just wondering because I've always been told that one of the causes of diabetes can be insulin resistance.

My DH has a rare form of diabetes. He is kind of 1/2 type 1 diabetes and 1/2 type 2. His body makes very little insulin and what he does make, his body is reisistant to.

The food program ( "diet" ) that helped him the most is called
The Carbohydrates Addicts Diet. It worked wonders for him. It is harder for him to follow it now with all the traveling he does for his job........plus he has the will power of a flea! Being Cajun, he grew up loving the typical Cajun diet...lots of rice and other carbs!!
Old 07-08-2002, 05:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

At this point, I am not needing to check my sugar regularly, I'm not diabetic yet, but could be headed there if I don't take better care of myself. I do have to lose weight. I'll see if my local library has this book. Thank you for the recommendation. If I lose weight and avoid carbs, I should be able to reverse the condition.

Good luck to you and your husband. I know diabetes is a nightmare, I feel for those people who have to cope with it daily.

awf60 in Wyoming.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Please explain what the symptoms are for insulin resistant. I'm very "sugar sensitive" but have never been to a doctor for the problem. I have considered the fact that it might be related to a pre-diabetic condition. I am curious if this is related to what you are talking about.

Thanks!
MauraM
Old 07-13-2002, 12:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One of the worst symptoms is the apparent inability to lose weight now matter how try you hard with conventional dieting. Second is fatique, I have a cluster of symptoms called "syndrome x". It is being overweight, high blood pressure, high tryglycerides. you can be insulin resistant even if you're blood sugar is within normal limits. You need to have more tests than a total blood sugar, I'm not sure what the name of it is.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
On the subject of insulin... there is a new product on the market put out by Shaklee Corp. It's called Glucose Regulation Complex and it's my understanding that it helps regulate sugar.
Haven't personally followed up on it yet but you might look into it.
Robin
Old 07-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

While you are looking for books, you might want to check out Potatoes Not Prozac (weird name but I just recently got the book and it makes sense).
Old 07-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Me, too

I, too, was diagnosed insulin resistent last fall. Doctor put me on glucoflage daily. He thought the meds would also help me to lose weight. But, so far, have not lost that much. But, then again, have not really been dieting. I do not check my sugar levels and have not been diagnosed diabetic. I have learned that insulin resistance and my other diagnosis of PCOS (Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) are symptoms of each other. I have noticed that my sugar level fluctuates more now that I am taking the meds...if I forget to take the med (I take one tablet 3 times a day) or have not eaten, I can really tell it.

I read this on a website:

If you have type 2 diabetes, you have insulin deficiency (your body makes too little insulin) and most likely insulin resistance (your body doesn't properly use the insulin it makes). Amazingly, as many as 92% of the people with type 2 diabetes are insulin resistant.8

Normally, insulin is produced by the pancreas and it serves as the key that unlocks your body's cells to allow sugar in. However, if your cells are resistant to the effects of insulin, the pancreas will produce more and more in an effort to "force the lock." Since the sugar in your blood isn't able to enter the cells, those cells begin to run out of energy. Eventually, the pancreas tires and loses its ability to produce enough insulin. At that point, sugar is locked out of the cells and getting higher by the minute in your blood.

How do I know if I have insulin resistance?

Insulin resistance is a core defect of type 2 diabetes, so stay informed! In fact, 1 in 4 Americans may have insulin resistance. Not sure if you have insulin resistance? Here are some of the common "predictors" of insulin resistance:9

A BMI (body mass index) of 25 kg/m2 or higher.
A waist circumference (at your navel) of more than 40 inches for men and more than 35 inches for women.
A triglyceride (blood fats) level more than or equal to 150 mg/dL.
An HDL (good) cholesterol level of less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women.
Blood pressure greater than or equal to 130/85 mm Hg.
Fasting blood sugar levels more than or equal to 110 mg/dL.
If you think you may have insulin resistance, talk to your physician.

I'm glad there is a thread going on this. I'd sure like to hear what everyone has to say. I don't personally know anyone else who is IR.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Potatoes not Prozac Book

What is this book about? I've never heard of it.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Prozac Not Potatoes is a book for sugar sensitive people. I suspect that many of us like that (we get headachey, extremely fatigued, etc.) are on our way to becoming diabetic. Anyway, check it out it is really interesting and not a diet as such but a change your life through changing your diet. The authors name is Katherine DesMassions (I think I spelled it right.) Let me know what you think.