Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is gross, but I noticed I was not digesting the Glucophage. I was passing them whole. Anyone else have this trouble and why do you think it is happening?

Alison,

I, too, have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I am taking the Glucophage XR 500mg once a day and it is helping. If you are taking the XR.....it's an extended release form and therefore, it's possible to pass the shell of the pill in the stool. The shell is especially designed to pass the medicine into your system over a 24 hour period......you are getting the medicine and only passing the shell.

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.....Isaiah 30:15
Old 07-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thinning hair, etc. is symptoms of PCOS. I was diagnosed years ago with it but they never told me the symptoms...I only recently found out via the internet and researching it a little. And found that I have every symptom. My research explained a lot of annoying things I was dealing with. At least it gave a reason for them, including the inability to lose weight.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-21-2002, 05:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have every symptom of pcos as well.

I cried for months after being diagnosed because I finally knew it was not all in my head. I was diagnosed in October of 1999 after ttc for almost 3 years.

I got pregnant that November and miscarried in December, but by then I had been diagnosed with diabetes as well. I was taking 3 insulin injections a day and decided to keep up with that while we continued to ttc.

I changed my stress level by changing jobs, low carbed as much as possible, kept my sugar levels at the levels expected for pregnancy, and was pregnant by March of 2000.

It was a hard pregnancy because I was testing my blood sugar 8 to 10 times a day and injecting insulin 3 times a day. I saw 3 different doctors at least once a month, as well as a few others sprinkled in here and there. I had a scheduled csection on November 17th, 2000 and had a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

I made the mistake of believing that since I was not going to ttc anymore, I didn't have to treat the pcos. I was wrong.....I have been miserable for the last 6 months. I finally am feeling better after starting to low carb again....and starting bc pills. If I get pregnant now, it would certainly be a miracle.....I had my tubes tied and I am taking bc pills, not to mention the fact that I have pcos.

Whoops, sorry to turn this into a long post....feel free to contact me anytime via email if any of you have questions. I will try to keep up here as well.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Like everyone says...it's great to hear from others who share the same problem. You are the first people I've spoke with that know what I am talking about!

I always thought I was a "failure" because I was not successful at keeping my weight down. And my ob/gyn was always wanting me to lose weight...but he never explained why it was so hard. I had to learn for myself with my own searching. After diagnosed insulin resistance...I was researching that...and saw the PCOS tied in...and then started researching PCOS. I felt such a sigh of relief. I don't feel like as much of a "failure". Now I know what I am dealing with. And reading yalls info helps.

Keep up the dialoge.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow--there is a lot of info on this thread!! I'm type 2 diabetic, also insulin resistant. I was in denial for a very long time, not taking my insulin, eating lots of junk food, etc. I have found that the best eating plan for me is a lowcarb, high protein diet. I like "Sugarbusters"--it's mainly switching from "regular" pasta, bread, etc, to wholegrain. I can pretty much eat what I want! I also started an excercise program--I joined a gym last week, and my bsl has gone down significantly, and I don't have to take as much insulin. I'm hoping that by the time I completely give up the junk I've been eating, and lose all my excess weight and continuing to excercise, I'll be off insulin completely. Have to wait and see...
Old 07-23-2002, 07:18 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

MrsManiac

Way to go. Keep up the good work and we will stand beside you and cheer.....
Old 07-23-2002, 07:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lynda: Thanks for the comment, I'll bet that is true, I am going to start taking the medication again starting tonight. Thanks so much for responding to my "gross"comment.

Sincerely,

Alison
Old 07-24-2002, 05:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsManiac
Wow--there is a lot of info on this thread!! I'm type 2 diabetic, also insulin resistant. I was in denial for a very long time, not taking my insulin, eating lots of junk food, etc. I have found that the best eating plan for me is a lowcarb, high protein diet. I like "Sugarbusters"--it's mainly switching from "regular" pasta, bread, etc, to wholegrain. I can pretty much eat what I want! I also started an excercise program--I joined a gym last week, and my bsl has gone down significantly, and I don't have to take as much insulin. I'm hoping that by the time I completely give up the junk I've been eating, and lose all my excess weight and continuing to excercise, I'll be off insulin completely. Have to wait and see...
WOW.........keep up the good work.

Part of the disease process of diabetes is complete denial. It usually happens just after diagnoses and again anytime you feel like it. I am glad you are taking the initiative to get your health back on track.....way to go!!!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by awf60
[B]Lynda: Thanks for the comment, I'll bet that is true, I am going to start taking the medication again starting tonight. Thanks so much for responding to my "gross"comment.

Alison,

Beware that if you have been off of it for a bit, you might have the side effect of diarrhea again for a week or so.

I had the bright idea that I was all better and didn't need it anymore and quit taking it for about a month. It took me another month to get over the side effects when I started taking it again.