Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey, Janet,

I have a friend who is a rehab nurse who also mentioned the menopause connection that she has noticed among her patients.

I think the scariest thing about the fibro fog was when it first happened and I wasn't sure that was what it was. I asked my neurologist if something was cutting off the oxygen from my brain! LOL He assured me that my oxygen supply was O.K., but that it was his theory that the fibromyalgia pain causes your brain to be distracted. He used the analogy that it was like trying to read with someone hollering next to your ear. I told him I thought I had perfected that when I had children.

At any rate, keeping my sense of humor intact is essential for me in dealing with FM and its plethora of symptoms. If I can laugh, I know it'll be O.K.

Have a great day, and God Bless Us every one!
Old 07-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Brain Fog

Janet, eeekkkkk you mentioned the age thingy. I am 55. And I'm sure you are right that some of my confusion could be hormone related. Double whammy. eeeekkkkkk LOL

Kelpie, I loved what you said about "you thought you had perfected that when you had children" I'm still laughing over that. You have a wonderful sense of humor and that will carry you through a lot of trying times.

JJT, I don't know if you need a sleeping pill or not. It seems like you are sleeping around 4 1/2 to 5 hours a night and that is not enough rest for you. It wouldn't hurt to ask the Dr. the next time you go for a visit. I usually sleep around 5 hours a night now but as I get older, I seem to do ok with less sleep at night and then naps now and then. I wake up because I hurt so much from staying in one position so long and I'm in pain. When you don't get enough rest that messes up your brain, too. Oh my goodness 3 strikes against me. Before long I'll be a babbling idiot.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

JJT, I have awaken around the same time as you and I feel great! but it really is too early to be up...so after much tossing and turning I finally driff off and then the alarm wakes me up!!! I usually feel like I have been dancing on table tops all night! Not good! I would mention this to your Doctor on your next visit. Sometimes I can get up and take a tylenol and then I can get back to sleep.

Kelpie, Isn't it funny a nurse would know about this but a Doctor doesn't think anything about it, couldn't be hormones....Do youthink your friend could start to train the Doctors better??

Ladyinmaille, So you are at a great age too! Funny how our bodies get out of wack now!!! Here is another idea...since women have to think of everything, what's for dinner? to what kind of gift do we by? and run everything our brains are just working too much! Maybe we need a rest, like Hawaii in the winter! ha ha

janet
Old 07-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi every one,
So good to hear how you're all doing,
To get a better sleep without taking any pills I use aromatherapy:
a few drops of Clary sage, marjoram and sandalwood. It gets my bp down and I sleep like a baby. I also get up at 4, get my mixture together under a candle and go back to sleep.
www.somethingspecial.com
Nicole I'm 52 and miss jumping rope!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, Caponata!

I also have been using a blend from www.somethingspecial.com to help me sleep and/or calm down during the day when the pain is so frustrating. However, I use it as an essential oil which means I rub it into my wrists and/or the palms of my hands just before I go to bed or when I wake up in the night. It absorbs quickly, has a light scent, and really seems to work. I've been using it for over a year now with no side effects (which is more than I can say for some of the pills the doctors have tried

The blend I use is called "Sleep Ease" which has lavender, sandalwood and marjoram oils blended in a base carrier oil. (You have to be careful that the oils are blended with a base oil or they are too strong to use on your skin). somethinspecial.com also auctions some of their blends on E-Bay starting at $1.00, plus shipping, which is how I found them in the first place.

Essential Oil Therapy may not be for everyone, but it makes me feel as if I am doing something positive and we all need as much that is positive as we can get, right?

Blessings and a Happy Day to All!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

About the sleep thing....

MY doctor doubled my anti-depressant dosage...to twice a day, and I am now sleeping like a log . After years of the kind of broken sleep you spoke of I am now geting a solid 6-7 hours of good sleep at night and am feeling much better. Even treating the pain never helped the sleep...because the pain would wake me after 4 hours or so.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was also so depressed from the pain and sleeplessness. It's like you're a sponge, and can only absorb so much untill it all starts overwhelming every area of your life. Like a catch-22 the pain and sleeplessness cause the depression, the depression causes the sleeplessness, the sleeplessness causes the pain to increase, which feeds the depression, which.....

Well you all know. Add the beloved "brain fog" and Voila!

I'm sure all the other treatments I received have helped also, but the increase in the anti-depressants have had the most direct impact on allowing me to sleep better, and I am so greatful for that.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just a P.S.

The Oils and aroma therapy you have mentioned here...really kick off my asthma...

Something about the heat and the scent... just me I guess.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Lifestar!

I'm glad you mentioned the asthma thing...that's why I have to use the kind I rub into the skin because I have allergies and my hubby has asthma and neither of us can get any sleep sneezing and wheezing The kind I've been using has a very light scent when you put it on, but then it kind of disappears within a minute or two. Not like a lavender pillow spray I bought that made us all run for cover Now I just use the pillow spray when I change the bed linens and by the time we get in it is where we can stand it!

Question...

Has anyone heard about something called "Transfer Factor?" A Dr. Dale Guyer has an article on immunesupport.com recommending this for patients with FMS and Chronic Fatigue.

Last edited by Kelpie; 07-17-2002 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh I am so glad to find all of you. I have been feeling like I am all alone in dealing with this mess. I know that there are others who have to deal too but you forget until you are able to find them and talk to them.

I was first diagnosed about 16 years ago when doctors were still argueing about wheither it was a "real" illnesses or just a figmant of our imagination. Evertime that something new comes up it takes an age for the doctor to put it together with my fm - he puts me through a jillon tests to find out what is wrong and then when he can't find anything to blame it on it gets dumped into my fm pile. :mad:

Do any of the rest of you have trouble with your muscles contracting suddenly causing some part to jump? It drives me crazy sometimes. I kept thinking maybe it was some of my depression meds but it doesn't seem to follow that patern.

That fog thing has been bothering me lately too. I used to be an excellent speller and now I will spend 2 or 3 minutes trying to remember how to spell a simple word. I can't look it up becasuse I often can't even think how to start it. I feel so dumb when it happens and I notice it is happening more lately. Do any of you find that it is related to the amount of stress you have in your life? The reason I wonder that is that I am under a great deal of stress right now and just thought it might be connected.

sleeping at night is not something that I am able to do period. Most of the time I don't even bother going to bed.

Have a pain free day.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Fog and sleep and other stuff...

I have to add my voice to the peri-menopause connection here...

We all have a fibromyalgia diagnosis, and share these symptoms, but I SWEAR that the hormonal changes that we suffer through as menopause approaches...(I mean the YEARS of symptoms that surround the approach of menopause)...are some of the very things we talk about here.

I know there are not a lot of men out there with a fibro diagnosis, but I'd like to know if they have the fogs and sleeplessness we have too.

Closed Thread