Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just do not know where to start!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lifestar
[B]Cheryl,

While bypass surgery might be an option for some of us, ( me included) it's not a cure for FMS!

I don't understand what stands in the way of your seeing a rheumatologist or a physiatrist?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Ladies,

What had happened is that I had a terrible shooting pain in my back between my waist line or near where my kidneys are.

So the ladies I went to brunch with and Lee; my husband had suggesed I go to a doctor. Being as it was around 6 pm I thought one of those doc-in-a-box would do better then an military emergency room; where I would go in at 6 pm and get out at 2 am in the morning. So took the lesser of two evils.

The doctor asked me how I was feeling I said I was sore . He said that it could be my sciatic nerve. I said that it had pained me for over 3 weeks. He gave me predisone and percadine to take (spelled them wrong I think). Now, I went today to get them filled at the military base but the pharmacy closed at 12 noon and I got there two minutes after they had closed. Just my luck...

I babysit during the week, so will not be able to take medicine until weekend. Not suppose to drive on this narcotic. So again caught between rock and hard place. So will take tylenol pm and hope for the best.

Now I have a neighbor who is a surgical tech, I will ask her if she knows someone who does work with patients who have fibromyalgia n the Hamton Roads area. It can't hurt, right?

I will keep you posted Bye now, Cheryl
Old 10-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Found doctor

Hello Lifestar,

Found a doctor that has fibromyalgia here locally...so I am going to call her to make an appt.

Yorktown, VA
Dr. Evelyn Arboleda
Psychiatrist

(" Dr. Arboleda has FMS herself and understands the challenges of living with this condition.")

So maybe it can be a miracle for me...who knows...Cheryl

Remember, God loves each and everyone of his children.
So your never alone in my eyes either.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cheryl

A doctor who has fms. First thing Monday morning call and make an appointment because she might be booked up for a few months. This may be your salvation. I am so happy for you. If by some miracle your fms goes into remission, do not cancel the apptm. Believe me, it always comes back. Gentle hugs
Old 10-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cheryl!

This is WONDERFUL news! My psychiatrist knows all about FMS too, and she is very supportive.

The anti-depressent meds she prescribes (Wellbutrin) work very well to help treat the FMS, as do the Celebrex, Neurontin , vitamins, and the sleeping pills I take.

Also helping me is the exercise program I got started on with the physical therapy. Just sleeping better at night has made a world of difference.

I hope this all helps you to understand what I have had to do to get some level of releif. I have FMS (with all the trimmings), arthritis in my spine, a malformation of the skull that causes migraines, retinal problems, degenerative disc disease, carpal tunel syndrome, herniated discs in my neck, two past back surgeries, facet joint syndrome, and myofacial pain syndrome. All these combine to bring a lot of pain, stiffness, soreness, headaches and sleep-disturbances to my days and nights. But with the combined therapies I am on, I have been feling pretty good lately (past two months).

So weight is not the be all and end all to feeling OK. Getting the right kind of treatment and support is.

Good luck. You have us too. Don't forget that!

Val
Old 10-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Eliminating pain

Hello Ladies,

I have been resting today, was babysitting for my grandson last night. He is just 2 years and 3 months old. Talks up a jibberish storm with a few words that you can understand. Knows how to put a movie into the VCR with no problem. Loves Elmo, Blue's Clues and the Wiggles. Mostly likes to dance to the songs. So full of energy that little man.

I was up with him three times last night; I am so tired ;-) , but I took a nap sort of, trying to drown out the pain with sleep but the numbingness of it brings me back too it; as I try to find a comfortable place in my recliner, which I have had to sleep in while I have this sleep apnea. Of course, I no longer have the trachea but the problem was never addressed just skipped over.

I am afraid to speak about maybe having fibromyalgia to my ENT doctor. That is another story, also I have an appointmen with him at 10:30 am on Wednesday the 30th. Will let you know what happens there. Maybe time to get a new doctor in that department. Hummm! I am going to call the doctor that I found on Virginia Doctors Fibromyalgia site tomorrow and will let you know about that also.....Thanks for being here for me....!!!

(I was searching under Fibromyalgia and got these sites.)

Fibromyalgia Doctors FMS Fibroyalgia Treatment Latest Treatments Fibomyalgia
http://www.chiropractor-finder.com/Fibromyalgia/

Common Causes of Pain: Fibromyalgia_ Doctors for Pain.Com http://www.doctorsforpain.com/patient/fibromyalgia.html

Also under this site...tooo!

Eliminating pain by eliminating excitotoxins - HealthBoards Bulletin Board http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Foru...ML/001280.html

Come expore and check them out too... Talk to you all soon, Cheryl
Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WWW.MEDHELP.ORG

This is a great site for all kinds of searches for any health-related question you might have. It's not sponsored by any "association" or "advocacy" group, and will give you a great variety of links to any number of resources on fibromyalgia articles...or any health condition you may want to research. It can get you into the National Instutite of Health Library...the Harvard Medical School Library or Womans' Day Magazine archives for that matter! I have used it in my research for years....

It's a very versitile search engine for all health concerns. No matter what depth of knowledge level you wish to seek ...it has the link.

So be informed when you go talk to these bastards... print out an article and bring it along...print one from the New England Journal of Medicine...and then let's hear them say the disease doesn't exist! Then you can then tell them that their bill won't exist!

Val;-)
Old 10-28-2002, 02:35 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val

So be informed when you go talk to these bastards... print out an article and bring it along...print one from the New England Journal of Medicine...and then let's hear them say the disease doesn't exist! Then you can then tell them that their bill won't exist!

Right on Val.........
Old 10-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Can not get into to see the Dr. with Fibromyalgia

Hello Ladies,

Well, call that dr. that I said I found who has fibromyalgia. But can not get an appt. with her until Januay 2003. I can be put on a cancellation list but that was long too. I said never mind, I can not wait that long. I'm in to much pain right now.

So I decided to call Ask-a-Nurse, from a local hospital. They gave me a woman doctor, an internist ( not sure if that is spelled correctly or not). So with this doctor I have an appt. on Halloween (ironic isn' it) at 2:00 p.m I asked my husband to be there with me. I have a very big and strong husband. He is a dear I couldn't ask for a more better one ( now that was bad english) but who cares. I do know I love him so.

So wish me well. Say your prayers for me. I shall keep you posted. Bye for now Cheryl

Remember, God loves each and everyone of his children.
So your never alone in my eyes either.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good for you Cheryl! Maybe this doctor will chase your "goblins" away! LOL!!

But let me suggest that you make the appointment with that OTHER doctor in January anyway. She sounded PERFECT.

January will be here before you know it, and there is a chance that you might still be in pain then too.

You could always cancel the apiontment, but if you don't make it NOW...you may be kicking yourself come January. Please call back and schedule yourself in. It's only 8 weeks away, and you'd have nothing to loose, and potentially everything to gain. Don't you agree??

Either way...Good luck on Thursday. I hope you find the understanding and support and care you are lookingfor from this doctor and your husband alike.

Val
Old 11-02-2002, 07:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I don't put all my faith in a Rheumatologist..I spend over $300.00 and she told me, yes you have Fibromyalgia. I already knew that and she said she could give me Elavil, Flexiril, or Plaqunill. She told me to exercise everyday...aerobics...man, I couldn't hardly even walk, wasn't sleeping, and in constant pain. I went back to my Dr. and told him that was a waste of money...Now my doctor doesn't give any pain killing drugs,I use over the counter tylenol only. When I am having a flare up I go to bed, rest, and usually am coated up with icy hot. My new perfume! lol It is tough but after a couple of days I feel some what better.

What type of meds do you all take? Is there something I could ask for? I do have other health concerns so maybe that adds to the task of prescribing meds.

By the way all my tests came back normal except for my sed rate. I have more than 18 points of pain, and all of the usual symptoms.

janet

Closed Thread