Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ladies!
You were reading my mind...I just looked on here today to see if anybody had mentioned this disease. I have not been diagnosed and have not really thought about it until I was looking online trying to find some answers to my constant muscle aches, headaches, etc. I did want to know which doctors you went to in order to be diagnosed....i cant' imagine that the doc I see right now would check me for it- I'll find someone else! Have any of you had menstrual problems that come with the disease? I have had messed up periods since soon after my son was born (by c-section, 2nd one). I have been tested for all the normal things including thyroid, and of course I'm "normal"- so why do I go 4 months without a period? I am almost 37 and have had this problem since I was 33. I have also had weight gain, without much success trying to lose...again, nothing medically "wrong" with me according to the docs, just slower metabolism. I've been very frustrated!
BUT, I have not had problems with fatigue other than what I would assume is normal for a working mother of two young children. I wake up sleepy, but do ok as long as I have some coffee!I have had quite a bit of trouble with word recall, just really started noticing it in the last year or so. I was amazed when I started looking at the list of symptoms for this and saw so many of the things that I was experiencing. What do you think?
Old 09-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~Juliebelle~

Hi there,

It sounds like you're not feeling very good, and not getting many answers. I know how frustrating that can be!

I got a couple of things from your post...

You're 36; going on 37

You've been having your health changing for the past 3-4 years, possibly connected to the birth of your last child <?>

You talk about headaches, muscle aches menstrual changes, concentration and memory problems and weight gain.

But you say there is no fatigue to speak of.

Now I know you're anxious to find a solid answer, but don't rush to stick a Fibromyalgia diagnosis on your self. One place your symptoms don't fit at all is your lack of fatigue. Now that is good news!

Mindbending fatigue is a hallmark of fibro. Like "open the stopper and drain out your last molecule of strength through your bone marrow" fatigue.

Also the pain of fibro is specific to 18 trigger points located in the fascia throughout the body. Not so much in generalized muscle pain.

Also, not that I'm making any kind of a diagnosos here, but your symptoms sound awfully a lot like peri-menopause! I started having these at around 35. They cleared up nicely at 45 when I had my hysterectomy
I'm not trying to be glib...but except for my memory lapses...all that other crap is much improved

But back to the point...a good diferential diagnoses for fibromyalgia is made by a Rheumatologist. These are the guys who specialize in treating arthritis and lupus patients, etc. Find one who knows about fibromyalgia, and go get an opinion.

You loose nothing by checking it out. But you don't want to just put your symptoms off to either fibro or peri-menopause...all these symptoms could also be hallmarks of something more serious, and we all have had to get it checked out.

Fibromyalgia is what doctors call a "diagnosis of exclusion". This means that they have excluded all other possible causes for your symptoms, and are feeling safe calling your condition fibro. There are no tests to positively confirm or diagnose the existance of fibro. Isn't that lovely?

So, I have been very long winded...but I hope I have said something helpful. Feel better, and good luck getting a diagnosis. In the mean time, speaking for myself, you're welcome to stay and chat.

Val
Old 09-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good evening friends.

It has been a long time since I have been on here and posted. I have come and read posts but just don't feel like typing one myself. My hands are a little better tonight so I will reply to a few things that have been posted in the last couple days.

First Val I experience the same thing every time that DH and I have sex. I suffer for days after. He never can understand why I don't want to be romanic very often. We might hae relations a couple times a year. He doesn't even approach me any more. We hardly ever even snuggle. :mad:

I think you should talk to your husband first. Explain what you had happen and let him know you want to see if you can get some help. Maybe he would even go with you to your doctor. Youshould not be embrassed about the situtation. It is part of life and I am sure that you are not the first patient who has had this problem. Do you have just a family doctor or do you also have a gyn? The gyn might have more answers for you. One thing that we have tried is for me to put a pillow under my hips - it just changes things enought to take some of the pressure off.

Hey all you ladies. I am so grateful that we can talk about intimate things here. I know that my fribo has changed so many things in my marriage and I wish I had had someone to talk about share them with. May be they wouldn't have done the damage to mmy marriage that they have. If I can help just one of you to avoid those situtations I will feel like I have opened a door on this ridiculous disease!

Juliebell I would advise you to see an rheumatologist and not try to make your symptoms fit a diagnose yourself. It takes someone who can loook at what is happening to your body and has lots of knowledge about diseases to decide what explains your symptoms. Please put yourself in the hands of someone who knows and don't try to figure it out yourself. You will be so much better off. (Yes I am in My mothering mode )

I won't try to go back and reply to everyones posts but know that I learned some interesting things by reading the last 4 pages of posts. lol hahahahah You are a great bunch of friends. I am so glad that I found you.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:21 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

juliebelle

First off, welcome. Whether you are diagnosed with fibro or not, you are welcome to come here and we will offer sympathy and support like the other ladies said. I also agree with them when they tell you to go see a rheumatoligist. Mine only got to the 6th trigger point and said that's enough, I'm not going to put you through any more torture. This disease can seem to go into remission, days at a time when you feel better, but it always comes back with a vengence. In the beginning, I don't remember being so exhausted, I wish there was a word I could think of that means more than exhausted. I think as time went on and my sleep was interrupted more, then came the day after day of total exhaustion. But of course I could be wrong, because I have so little memory anymore.

Stitcher 45, I forgot about the pillow under the hips. We do that too. Duh. I'm sorry you and your hubby don't snuggle. My hubby will wait for me to make an initiative for sex. That's how we handled my disease. That way he knows I feel like it will be an enjoyable activity for both of us. If we don't complete the act, at least we have a lot of skin contact and everybody has to have a certain amount of that to remain feeling like a human being.

Now, I have a question for everyone. Several times, over the years, when I wake up in the morning it's like I am paralized from the chest down. I can't get out of bed. Then, when I finally do, the pain is so bad I'm sorry I even tried to get up. It happened again this morning and the pain was so great that I cried. I have uped my medication so do you suppose it's from sleeping too soundly in 1 position? I know I wake up at least a dozen times a night and have to move because I'm so sore. I figured it might be caused by sleeping too much in 1 postion.

Blessings and gentle hugs to one and all. I've gotta go play with grandkids.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Ladyinmaille, do you take muscle relaxers? when ever I did I would have the same problem. I thought maybe since your body was so relaxed you didn't toss and turn as much and stayed in that position too long????

Just a thought.

janet
Old 09-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

muscle relaxer

Yes, I do take those, but this has happened to me before I started on the muscle relaxers. Guess I just wanted to hear it has happened to someone else. It always throws me for a loop when it happens because it feels so much like being paralized and that thought terrifies me. I try to act like this fiesty ol' grandma, but actually I'm a scaredy cat.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:36 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

CairalBe

If you are around this forum, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear CairalBe. Happy Birthday to you.

Good thing ya'll can't hear me sing.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Everyone! Finally getting to read and post. It's 11:30 pm here, and the house is quiet ...I am the night owl...it helps when you can't sleep.lol

I have been having a time of it..brain fog, fatigue, pain, migraine...and 4 hrs sleep in the last 2 days. Today the weather warmed up again and that is nice, at least the house isn't damp and chilly. Do you have problems with being cold? I am very sensitive to it and I do take thyroid meds and the levels are fine. I finally got out my flannel pj's and fuzzy slippers...I look so MARVELOUS!!! To top it off my greyhound mix dog got loose and all the neighbors got a chance to see me running barefoot for the blasted dog! Of course I was glad it was dark! Here I am running in my flannels, with a clicker and a hot dog calling my dog...what a sight! Hope I don't make the front page in the paper...

Tomorrow has to be a better day!
I'll pop my head out first to check !

janet
Old 09-17-2002, 03:20 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle lol

Janet, I can see you running around with a clicker in one hand and a hot dog in the other, in flannel pj's chasing your dog in the middle of the night.

Sounds like one of my escapades. Thanks for the belly laugh.

Hope everyone has a wonderful sunshinny day.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fibromyaglia

I have never been diagnosed with Fibromyaglia but I don't know if the term was around when I was sick. This was 20 years or so ago. The symptoms are very similar, however. I was always tired and felt like I had the flu all the time. At the time people were being diagnosed with Candida, which I am guessing is what the yeast diet handles. I was taken off white sugar (for whatever reason I could tolerate bread) and put on supplements and I have never looked back. It was not easy at first but neither was being sick all the time and now it is just second nature to me. Within a few weeks I felt better than I ever had. The aching was gone and I had so much more energy. I can always tell when I accidently get something with sugar in it because the aching comes right back. I'd hate to think what shape I'd be in now if I hadn't listened to my dr. I'm a true believer in finding the cause, if at all possible, instead of handling the symptoms, especially in this "take a pill and fix it" world. It seems easier to just take some drug, but it the long run the complications just aren't worth it!

Closed Thread