Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:09 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val

Good Luck with the Dr. apptms tomorrow. I will keep you in my thoughts. Gentle hugs.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HI all~

I got into the Pain Management Clinic Yesterday on a cancellation...

The assessment was very thorough. I am going to be sent for Aquatherapy (finally) for six weeks to increase my physical abilities before continuing with a regular PT and exercise program

There are neurological defecits, and this doctor was able to really show me the MRI on the view screen, so I could actually see the condition of my nerves and spinal fluid flow, and the ammount of degeneration in my spine and facet joints...(which is the real problem I'm having), combined with the chronic stuff of the Fibro, etc.

He also up-graded my pain medication to percocet, which allowed me to sleep uninterupted for 8 hours last night. I don't remember the last time I did that. I think that alone will make me heal.

I start PT on 9/11... I feel a little weird about the date. Like I should be somewhere else that day, but as long as the kids are OK at school and there are no bomb threats or anything, it will be OK. ( there were alot of that sort of thing last year after 9/11 around here because of our schools racial and ethnic mix and our proximity to a nuclear power plant).

Anyway..I'm psyched..and counting the days. In the mean time, I'm happy that someone is taking me seriously enough to recognize that the pain is real, and willing to treat it with drugs that will work. I'm glad to have a PT program on the horizon that I know from past experience will be a gentle yet effective therapy. And I still have a rheumatology appointment looming somewhere in the future that I hope will pull things all together and establish a good relationshiop for me with a doctor that knows about the things that ail me. I've never been followed by a rheumatologist before. I'd only seen one once as part of a worker's comp case.

So all in all, I'm feeling better, just because I don't feel stuck.

Thanks Linda for your good thoughts. They came in handy

Val
Old 08-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val

Oh how wonderful, Val. I got goosebumps reading your post. It looks like you are on the road to managing your pain and fms. I am so happy for you.

I'm glad the Dr. took the time to show you the results of your tests so you could see for yourself what you are up against.

And giving you the right medicine so you could sleep for 8 hours. Oh what a comfort. For me to sleep 8 hours I have to take twice my normal dose and I only do that in emergencies.

This is a happy happy day. Thanks for the update. Wonderful, just wonderful.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

8 hours sleep

Wow! I can't even remember when I had 8 hours sleep...I only sleep about 41/2 hrs a night, sometimes 5 hrs. I can fall asleep okay but if I am woke up...noisy people next door, dogs barking and get this one... a mother raccoon and her babies were playing outside my bedroom window! Wow! They make more noise than cats mating! So once I am awake I can't fall back to sleep. I have tried getting up to read, had a glass of milk, got on the computer...still couldn't sleep..but about 10:00am I get sleepy.
I sure hate this cycle! Does anyone else have this problem? Is it menopause?

janet
Old 08-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sleeping 5 hours

Yes, doesn't matter how tired I am. I fall asleep around midnight and up at 5 am. Then I'm whooped the rest of the day. But I can't stay in bed longer because it hurts too much to stay sedate.

By 2 in the afternoon it's all I can do to keep from falling asleep.

Everyone here knows if I fall asleep to do everything in their power not to wake me up because once I am awake, I am a bear. grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-30-2002, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Ladyinmaille,

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me regarding sleep...5 hrs a night. I am glad I am not the only sufferer, misery loves company. I feel like a zombie, stay up late, and wake up early. I know what you mean about getting sleepy..I have to fight it because then I am afraid I won't even get my lousy 5 hrs.

I saw that you are from IN. I used to live in Fort Wayne for about 23 years. Don't know if I told this to you or not, if so, sorry brain fog. Things I miss about the city but I am glad to be in a less crime area and less gangs. They call Fort Wayne, the little Detroit. lol. I was visitng last year and got stuck in a bad storm, power outage and I was staying in a hotel with windows you couldn't open and the back up generator failed...what a mess! Then the golden haze started to fall over the city, ozone levels were high. So I took off for MI and the fresh air and felt better as soon as I made it to the Mackinaw Bridge. I our fresh air.

chat with you later,
janet
Old 08-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank You

You support is so nice, like hugs!

I know exactly what you mean by the sleep cycle troubles. I am the same way! I swear it is the fibromyalgia. They say that a hallmark of the syndrome is the sleep dysfunction. But yes. Menopausal symptoms do not help a bit. Since my hysterectomy and estrogen replacement therapy, I am sleeping more soundly at night, a good six hours is possible...just too bad it's from 4AM to 10 AM LOL!!! Then at 4 PM I crash. It's awful.

I don't look forward to the kids starting school on Wednesday. I'll need to be up at 6 AM with ShortyBomb (aka Laura) ... She gets the school bus at 7:15. Then the little one gets the bus at 8 AM sharp. With any luck I can schedule my PT appointments for the mornings, so I won't be able to go back to bed!

I refuse to use the pain killers to get to sleep. The other night was just a gift to myself. I will not make it a habit. Today was a pretty good day. I was able to stand straight up, and do a bit of walking around.

My sister-in-law took the kids to the mall for school shopping, so when my DH came home from work, he took me to dinner at the local diner. It was lovely. Broiled scrod, baked potato, soup, salad, fresh hot bread, and a piece of a chocolate hazlenut torte that is still in the fridge for tomorrow when I'm not totally stuffed! All that and no kids! We actually had a conversation. It was just a wonderful day.

I think half of my feeling better is just my attitude. Just that i'm not feeling helpless and stranded anymore. It's amazing how much I can undermine myself with a bad attitude. I have to remember that for the next time I start to do it.

Well, I hope you all are feeling well, and Janet, I recommend putting a bungie cord on those garbage cans! It will discourage the racoon family enough to send them somewhere else to play! ( What a funny story!...I have a few racoon tales of my own!)

Be well,

Val
Old 08-31-2002, 04:13 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet

My dh works in Fort Wayne but we live about 35 miles from there. I wouldn't live in Fort Wayne if someone gave me the best property there. I don't like the crime, the crowds, the drivers. I'm a born and bred country, small town gal. Grades 1-6 I went to a township school, we lived in the country, and 6-12 we moved to a tiny little town. After the service we moved back here so I could be close to my mom and we've stayed here ever since.

I've been to Michigan for vacations and you are right about the nice clean air. It is a beautiful state. As a child, we came up to Mackinaw Island. Then my dh and I traveled around Michigan after we restated our vows. I can't remember the places we visited without getting out the book, but I do remember it being beautiful and clean. I have lots of books and photos. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a lot of memories. Seems like my brain only has enough room for current stuff (If I am having a good day).

Val, what a treat to get to go out with the dh for supper and conversations. Now that I am an empty nester, my dh and I now actually talk to each other.;-) He's my best friend. He probably was all along but we never had the chance to talk about it.

We three must be doing as well as we can right now. What worries me is there are a lot of others out there that we are not hearing from. Usually, with me, that means I'm having such a bad time that I just roll up in a ball and hide. So I'll send out gentle hugs to all. And smiles to the ones that are coping ok.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

so many of us

Hello all!

This is my first post, so please bear with me - due to a new medicaiton, I have severe brain fog - I am very sorry for all who can relate...

I have been on long term disability for 8 months, and am just now learning how to pace myself. I found this the hardest thing - not to be able to do all the things I love

I read a recommendation for a website that has really helped me to start getting my life in order, just small steps at a time.:

www.flylady.net

I have reduced the time limit to 5 minutes instead of 15 for any activity, and am starting to feel more positive about what I CAN do! My home is always clean and I have a sheet typed up ( please don't laugh!) that reminds me to take a shower and brush my teeth, and I have only one chore a day, and I limit it to 5 minutes. Not a lot gets done, but I do see some progress, and having a sense of achievement has really helped lift my spirits.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth!

Sue
Old 08-31-2002, 11:48 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome Sue

Learning to pace yourself is the hardest part about this disease I think. As Bob's dad always used to say, Do what you can, can what you can, and then put a lid on it. To me that says, do the best you are capable of and then lay it aside and don't beat yourself up that you can't do any better.

And yes, we all know about the brain fogs. I hate it when everyone is involved in a lively conversation and I can't think of the right words to say. They just won't come out of my mouth. I just sit there and stare , or so my daughter says, as if I am in my own little world.

Its getting harder and harder to keep my job. I try to keep away from important stuff and just concentrate on the easy repetitive jobs. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to keep working for probably at least another year. If I can keep from totally screwing up or missing too many days before that. I have 3 weeks vacation and 1 week sick so that really helps. I still have a week or so left I can use as needed.

Anyway, welcome to our forum. We come in here and share when we are having a bad day and share when we are having a good day. When one of us has a good day, the rest of us smile because it makes us happy.

I think we have a wide range of ages here. I'm 55 but most of the rest are younger I think. Don't know if we have any in their teens or not. This disease strikes at any age so it is possible we have some teens in our group.

If you have a problem please feel free to discuss it and maybe someone else has gone through it and can give some pointers on an easier way to get through it.

Take care.

Closed Thread