Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

coming close to death and changing afterward?

Has anyone ever come close to their own death?
If so did you change because of it?

Mark has become hyper healthy. I mean, it is 103 degrees here the past few days and he still walks down to the gym . He is sfraid of getting fat when, really, he is looking really good,. He doens't need to lose anymore weight.

hugs, train
Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Train,

I have come close several times. The first one I wasn't aware of it because it was discovered shortly after my birth 46 years ago. The second time occurred 41 years ago, the third and fourth times were in my late teens and early 20's (one was not medical related), and I am once again facing mortality. I haven't changed anything about me nor my life style. I have every intention of enjoying my life as it is, and sliding into the urn sideways when I go. Some men are a little different about this whole episode, mainly b/c it is burned into their genes that they are the sole supporter regardless of whether women work or not (I'm still in the not, trying to get the am), and that adds undo pressures to their lives. I understand Mark's situation, but what he doesn't understand is that he can die from heat stroke just as much as being over weight, and should be cautious of the times when he walks, and to make certain he has plenty of water with him when he does walk during extreme temperatures. Heat stroke is a small issue, he could also have kidney failure from the lack of proper fluids during the hotter walk times. Among other things. I commend him for wanting to continue to stay fit and lean though.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

Last July I came very close to drowning while white water rafting. We were doing a very difficult river - all class V rapids which is the toughest you are allowed to do. We were going through a very complicated set of rapids and I got flipped out of the raft. It was almost surreal. I remember going under water and my life jacket popping me back up. I was in sort of a cove and absolutely terrified. When you fall in rafting, the first thing that happens is the nearest raft will float by and throw you a t-grip (the handle end of a paddle) for you to grab. Doesn't matter if they are with your group or not, every one tries to save you. The first raft flew by throwing me a t-grip which I grabbed but the current was so strong it pulled it out of my hand. Second raft - same thing happened. I am clinging to a stone wall and cannot hear anything but the rapids but I see another raft getting ready to throw me safety line. (the second thing tried if someone misses a t- grip after falling in) The safety line missed me by inches but when I reached to try and grab it the rapids grabbed me and off I went. I don't remember much about the rapids other than trying desperately to breath. I did the whole thing free fall. I went into shock. The next real thing I remember is a raft going over my face and that is when I was rescued. I was in the water over 15 minutes. Usually you are rescued in 1-2 minutes but because of where I fell in it was too difficult. I was in shock and don't remember much about what happened directly after my rescue other than more rapids until they could get me to safety. Making this story shorter, I got to land and regained my senses and ended up being ok. And get this, I rejoined my group and finished the rafting trip! I will say if I had know we had a 14 foot waterfall coming up I might not have been so brave. Have I changed things since this experience? Well, that was my 3rd and final white water rafting trip. I still get flashbacks and am not sure I could ever do it again. I now realize how precious life is, how much I love my children and want to be here for them as long as possible. I am grateful to be alive. I think I will always be grateful for each and every day I am here on this earth no matter how hard life can be sometimes.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Assistant Moderator

I almost did last year back before going on my cruise in April 2013.
I sort of knew that I might could be allergic to shellfish, but no doctor ever told me I was because I never told anyone of the symptoms I had after eating shrimp, clam, etc.
I did mention it to Gloria one day after the subject came up, and she informed me I could be.
Therefore I was being very cautious to not eat shellfish.
My daughter ordered stuff mushroom, but we had no idea they were stuffed with shellfish, and our waitress even after telling her I could not eat shellfish did not tell us.
to make a long story short, before the night was up Melissa rushed me to the hospital and they took one look at me, and got me to a room asap.
They started pumping me with all kinds of stuff to get me alive.
Doctor wanted to admit me but I refused due I wanted to go on my first cruise with my daughter.

The doctor informed me I should of died, for it was that bad of a reaction to the shellfish. I also learned right next to my bed was a machine as they thought that at any given moment they would have to do a Tracheostomy.
The doctor said it was an miracle that she was talking to me.

Have I done anything different, not really, except I do not want any shellfish although I love clams, but no more for me. When I got back home from my trip I checked my medicines that I had taken for joint point, and they went into the trash as they did contain shellfish. I learned how bad allergic reactions can be.

Below is one picture of my lips , as I knew something was wrong but was not sure what, It got worse before I even woke up Melissa to get me to a hospital. The other picture is shortly before they released me from the
hospital. When I first got to the hospital I couldn't spit, and I was so swollen that even my eyes were swollen shut.

I'm thankful GOD allowed me to have my cruise with my daughter, and she didn't have to lose money on this event.

I knew GOD kept me alive and I knew there is a reason, and I'm more pro to listen to see what GOD has in store for me and pray I won't miss out.
I feel I allow things to roll off of me more easier than before, but was told I had not.

I do agree with KSJEn6891 about Mark needs to
Quote:
understand is that he can die from heat stroke just as much as being over weight
Since I am a widow, I would hate for that to happened to Mark, and you go down that path, and Mark needs to be made aware that if something happens to him, he would be doing that to you. That's great that he wants to watch his weight, and do the exercise, but I've seen to many folks walking, jogging, in the sun and how red their backs are.
Mark needs to do this in the early morning or late in the evening to protect himself.
I also know that the sun can cause skin cancer, and what that can do to one, due to John had skin cancer due to working to much in the sun, and paint and paint thinner. Skin cancer is real. John had to take radiation due to his skin cancer.

Hugs and prayers that Mark will listen and take care of himself.
Attached Images

Last edited by bar_bar; 05-29-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow you guys, that breaks my heart for what you've been through! Definitely scary times!!!

As for Mark, I wrote that back in 2008, about a year after he had a stroke.
He is making much better choices these days..... so no worries!!

hugs, train
Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Assistant Moderator

that great he has. I didn't even looked at the date it was written. He is still walking? If so I am assuming he is not doing it out in the heat.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sammi,
You're very lucky. My BIL on Dh's side use to go white water rafting in his younger and wilder days... Heard lots of stories of folks not coming back on foot afterwards, and others never found because of white water eddy's (the area between big boulders ?). I'm glad you are here.

and Bar_Bar,
glad you're still here with us. Of the two food items, my allergies are Shrimp (not all shellfish, as I was raised on Clams, mussels, and crab) and Blue cheese. Medically, I am deathly allergic to their counter parts: Iodine and Penicillin (and any strain there of).

Train,
I also didn't see the year you wrote about Mark...Shame he had a stroke after the weight loss, Glad he's still here too.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Assistant Moderator

thankful we are all here after a close to death experience. I know when it occurs, it something you do not forget. I also believe we lived because it was not our time to go, which means GOD has more in store for us.
My husband had many close to death experience, and used to laugh he must be part of the cat family. He also felt that his nine lives was getting close to the end.
Strange as it may seem, when he passed, that phrase came to me, and I said to myself he has hit his 9 lives.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In regards to changing after near death expierence. I was around five years old, and can not say if anything ever changed about my life before that. I do know one of the biggest changes, and it seems to be a common experience with many near death (and revivied death) is the lack of fear of dying. Other than that my familiar genes kicked in and strange things are the norm for me, and its annoying when I don't know the person/ people.