FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Health - Chronic Diseases (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-chronic-diseases/)
-   -   High Blood Pressure? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-chronic-diseases/17579-high-blood-pressure.html)

Coll 02-01-2007 06:17 PM

roisindubh, I'm surprised the doctor allowed him to leave the office with a bp that high. My doctor would have bene on the phone to my husband or one of my older kids and demand that I be treated in the ER immediately.
I pray that he is able to get things under control and soon.

roisindubh 02-05-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coll
roisindubh, I'm surprised the doctor allowed him to leave the office with a bp that high. My doctor would have bene on the phone to my husband or one of my older kids and demand that I be treated in the ER immediately.

I wish the doc had called me, too, but I doubt it would have changed the outcome. As Jamus pointed out to the doctor, if stress is a big part of his problem, lying in the hospital worrying about the bill wouldn't help much. I suspect he was right, although I don't like it much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coll
I pray that he is able to get things under control and soon.

Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cat lover
roisindubh, good luck with your DH's blood pressure! I've never heard of any that high!

I worked the desk on general medical floors and in telemetry units, CCUs, and ICUs for about 10 years; I charted a lot of patient vital signs in that time, and I don't recall one anywhere near that, either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cat lover
A hobby might help some; isnm't there something he enjoys doing that can relax him otherwise if he doesn' want ot get into a hobby? Maybe you and he could take long walks together; that can be relaxing too! Be areful and take care!

Because of combination of a knee injury (that didn't heal due to his diabetes) and complications of his diabetes and blood pressure, he usually uses a wheelchair, so the "walk" part of "long walks" is out. In his chair, he can tootle along forever -- I'm the one who poops out! LOL He has diabetic neuropathy and basically has no feeling left in his fingers, which makes it hard to do any sort of hobby or craft that needs much dexterity. Plus, the diabetes is messing with his eyesight (retinopathy), so he has a hard time focussing on things: he says everything is "sparkly." We got him signed up with the state's books for the blind program last month; they send him books and magazines on tape every month, which is proving to be a nice diversion for him. He turns off the lights, which helps his eyes, pops on the headset, and listens to a few chapters at a time. If you know anybody with poor eyesight or who has trouble holding a print book, I recommend getting info on your state's program. Every state has one; they're coordinated by the Library of Congress in DC. It's all done by mail, and you don't even have to pay postage to return the tapes when you're done. It's been a Godsend so far for us!

cat lover 02-05-2007 08:43 AM

Sounds like you are are doing everything you can already! The books on tape is a great idea! I understand the knee injury thing, my DH needs a total knee replacement so I know how it limits things. Good luck in all you are doing!