Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Fibromyalgia

I was wondering if anyone else has fallen victim to this chronic disease.

I have suffered with it since 1996 and was hoping to find a good support system and I first thought of Family Corner.

So if you are suffering and would like to chat and discuss this, please

do..I am there for all of you sufferers.

Fibro-gal

Janet
Old 11-04-2005, 04:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I have been dealing with fibro since 1992. It is not a fun disease. I also have two other types of Arthritis. I really haven't found anything that helps the Fibro and sometimes I can't tell because the other Arthritis pops up. But this week has been a bad week for me with the fibro. I was taking something that was helping but guess what as far as I know they don't make it anymore. And right now I can't think of what it was called I will have to ask my husband. I have been on all kinds of medicine and shots for the Arthritis and nothing has worked for me so I had decided to stop everything because what I did take made me sick. So I haven't been on any medicine for three years. I felt like throwing up all the time. Kinda tells you how good the medicine is. Ha Ha! I have tried different things but haven't really found nothing. I know hurting all the time isn't fun and someone coming up and touching you isn't fun either sometimes you want to wear a sign that says Please don't touch me. But you don't want to be rude. If you want to talk more about this please by all means talk back.
Chloe
Old 11-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Chloe, so sorry you are afflicted by this hideous disease and other forms of arthritis..but it is my lucky day to find someone to talk to about this..I too suffer with the feeling of having to throw up all the time too, and a woozy head. Smells make me ill, it is like your stomach is so weak, that the smell of bacon cooking can send me running to the bathroom to throw up...

I am currently only on the meds I need to take...blood pressure, thyroid, lipitor. I used to be on a host of stuff and the side effects were worse..I think after so many years of pain and discomfort..anything that gives you a bit of relief from the pain helps..right now for me..that is sleeping..the only way to escape the pain.

Have you gone to all of the doctors for Fibro?

I am having a bad flare up now..my clothes are too heavy for my muscles,they press on the tender points and someone might as well be sticking a hot knife in me. lol The seams on my jeans are a problem too..

What do you do for comfy clothes? or is that not an issue for you?

Are you working outside the home?

Good to meet you,

Hugs, Janet
Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My mom suffers with Fibromyalgia since 1989 she was rear ended by an Anahiem (CA) police officer who had not noticed all the cars were stopped at a light while he was distracted by a baglady. her settlement only covered med expenses, she can't work she now is trying to live on social security/disability insurance. her husband died of cancer that hit him pretty fast he was a painter & didn't have insurance. so she struggles with trying to get assistance from the state. food bank. she had to go without heat & we just had that cold snap & snow in western Maryland just over a week ago I had to scramble to get her some space heaters to make due til she can get her heat back on. I feel so horrible for her in pain all the time & trying to live on 500 dollars a month, with a house payment & utilities & no way out. She had to sell her PC or I'd forward this site to her. have you been to the website www.nfra.net ? (fibro site)

Old 11-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lorrieee, So sorry to hear about your mom and all she has to go through. All of this added stress is not good for her either..why in the world didn't she get a better settlement for that accident..

Are there home in your area that are for people who need a helping hand..I know in Michigan there is..the rent payment goes by income.

Thank you for the link for Fibro..

I pray that life gets easier for your mom..to live in this amazing country and to have our fellow Americans in such hardships, is just not right!
I say, lets keep our money at home now..too many are suffering.

Hugs, Janet
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I also suffer from fibromyalgia, and I found that the site efibro.com has alot of good info and resources.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Fibro Tips

Tip: Fibromyalgia pain can be exacerbated by simply doing the normal daily activities of caring for your home. To protect yourself from hurting your back or causing additional body strain, remember to practice the following:

--When you attempt to pick up a heavy object, always bend from the knees, not the waist. As you lift, hold the item as close to your body as possible. Turn by stepping in the direction you want to go. This will protect you from twisting your body and straining your spine. Think about what you are doing to prevent quick, painful movements.

--While talking on the phone, do not cradle the phone between your ear and shoulder. Always hold the phone with your hand, or better yet, use the speaker phone or headset.

Relax your back by taking rest breaks when doing household chores. If you sit on a couch, do not prop yourself up by using the couch’s arm. This can cause your back to be put in an unnatural position and result in lack of circulation to your arms, shoulders, and back. Use smaller pillows at the small of your back or under your arms to provide you with support and good posture.

--When doing a chore that requires you to stand in one place for an extended period of time, use a footstool to prop up one foot. This takes the strain off your back and keeps you from locking your knees under you.

--Store pots, pans, and bowls in cabinets that are at waist level. This eliminates the need to bend and life these heavy objects.

--Eliminate reaching and bending by using long-handles dusters, mops, and cleaning brushes. Use a “grabber-device” to help pick up lightweight items or things out of your easy reach.

--Share the chores with your family. This allows you to perform the tasks that are less stressful on your back and body.

--When doing laundry, don’t overload a laundry basket and carry it through your house or down your stairs. Instead, place a few clothes in a dirty towel or sheet. Make the bundle light enough to carry or drag the bundle behind you. There is no need to carry laundry down a staircase when you can drop it over a railing.

Sore Feet, Bruises, and Stomach Upset

Tip: Using earthy solutions can relieve pain, fatigue, and a variety of other symptoms.

Explanation: Earthy solutions include plants, herbs, and natural food products that can bring relief to health problems. Remember, however, that just because something is derived from a plant or is called natural does not mean that it is always safe. Use common sense and always tell your health care professional what you are taking.

Examples of earthy solutions include the following:

--Sore feet. Soak sore feet in peppermint and chamomile tea.

--Bruises. Rub in Arnica oil or cream. Arnica montana is a daisy-like mountain flower that seems to relieve bruising and swollen joints and muscles.

--Intestinal upset. Acidophilus changes that intestinal flora and reduces the chance of getting diarrhea, stomachaches, gas, and bloating.

--Fungus. Tea tree oil is helpful in eliminating fungal infections including athlete’s foot.

--Stomach upset. Chamomile tea (made from the chamomile flower) can help relieve nausea and menstrual cramps, and promote sleep.

--Cut or insect bite. Lemon oil can act as an antibacterial antiseptic for minor cuts and insect bites. Lemon juice is a digestive stimulant that helps with digestion and constipation. --Anxiety. Lavender tea possesses the ability to calm the nervous system and relax your mood. Even the smell of lavender can have a calming effect.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky God Bless All Amen

Hi Janet, I have been reading these notes now for about four days. WOW I did not know there were so many people out there like me!! I have been suffering for over 30 years, I have seen myself in so many of the notes I have read, over the year I have thought [perhaps I am just making up this pain] some doctors leave you feeling like this. but then I THINK why then did I have to go through so many surgeries, gallbladder, hysterectomy, disc fusing, then redoing the disc's in the upper neck, 3 disc's, titanium plates, 5 laminectomies!! I to am on several medications for pain. I am thankful for the doctors who really do listen and pursue the problems. I will be 63 in december, and am now having problems with my spleen, yet another very painful problem, does anyone out there know anything about that area [besides that it hurts] . I am on NEURONTIN and it has been a great help for me, I also have high cholestrol, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetus!! I will be praying for all the sick and afflicked, as I try to do daily!!
MAY GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU
WITH HEALTH AND SALVATION
I KNOW HE'S THERE BECAUSE HE
BLESSED ME AGAIN TODAY!!
C.L.F.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Welcome clfrench

So glad you found this thread...and yes, I know exactly how you feel..and wondering if it is all in your head??? I was only officially diagnosed in 1996..but I remember most of my childhood, going to doctors, and I think they called it then growing pains...well..I have the same pain, in the same places and I have been fully grown for a long time!

I am now, just learning how to be more assertive in my treatment and keep the doctors working on solving some of the issues this horrid disease causes....and the side effects from the meds.

CLF, I have heard alot of good things about NEURONTIN---I myself have never taken it..I have alot of chemical sensitivities too, for I have Asthma, High BP, High Cholesterol, but they are all kept in control...

Keeping the Fibromyalgia in control is impossible for me, especially during this time of yr.
Treating Headaches & Muscle Spasms in Fibromyalgia

In this article you will find helpful information on treating headaches and muscle spasms. Suggestions include stretching, keeping good posture, and using heating pads.

"What causes muscle spasms? Spasms are triggered by physical and emotional stress. Physical stress can be doing too much and becoming fatigued or having "painful" posture. Painful posture is sitting or standing with your back looking like a C: your head falling forward, upper back curled over, shoulders elevated, being bent forward at the waist or tilting to one side (by the way, sitting at the computer may be the #1 cause of painful posture.) Emotional stress can be anything from the slings and arrows of living in the 21st century to the hard-driving, pressured, overachieving, work-till-you-drop Type A lifestyles that many Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/(Fibromyalgia) patients have."

"If spasms are causing pain you need to take the stress off yourself and your muscles. You need to slow down, pace activities and rest during the day, even lie down to take the load off your muscle for 15-minute rest breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You also need to balance your body -- front to back and side to side, while sitting, standing and walking -- so that muscles don't have to fight gravity to keep you upright."

Take care everyone!
Hugs,Janet
Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

FIBROMYALGIA Key Words

Analgesic: A medication or treatment that relieves pain.

Arthritis:
Literally means joint inflammation, but is often used to indicate a group of more than 100 rheumatic diseases. These diseases affect not only the joints but also other connective tissues of the body, including important supporting structures such as muscles, tendons, and ligaments, as well as the protective covering of internal organs.

Autoimmune disease:
One in which the immune system destroys or attacks the patient's own body tissue.

Cartilage:
A tough, resilient tissue that covers and cushions the ends of the bones and absorbs shock.

Chronic disease:
An illness that lasts for a long time.

Collagen:
The main structural protein of skin, tendon, bone cartilage, and connective tissues.

Connective tissue:
The supporting framework of the body and its internal organs.

Fibromyalgia:
Sometimes called fibrositis, a chronic disorder that causes pain and stiffness throughout the tissues that support and move the bones and joints. Pain and localized tender points occur in the muscles, particularly those that support the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. The disorder includes widespread pain, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.

Fibrous capsule:
A tough wrapping of tendons and ligaments that surrounds the joint.

Flare:
A period in which disease symptoms reappear or become worse.

Genetic marker: A specific tissue type or gene, similar to a blood type, that is passed on from parents to their children. Some genetic markers are linked to certain rheumatic diseases.

Immune response:
The reaction of the immune system against foreign substances. When this reaction occurs against substances or tissues within the body, it is called an autoimmune reaction.

Immune system: A complex system that normally protects the body from infections. It combines groups of cells, the chemicals that control them, and the chemicals they release.

Inflammation:
A characteristic reaction of tissues to injury or disease. It is marked by four signs: swelling, redness, heat, and pain.

Joint:
A junction where two bones meet. Most joints are composed of cartilage, joint space, fibrous capsule, synovium, and ligaments.

Joint space:
The volume enclosed within the fibrous capsule and synovium.

Ligaments:
Bands of cordlike tissue that connect bone to bone.

Muscle: A structure composed of bundles of specialized cells that, when stimulated by nerve impulses, contract and produce movement.

Myopathies:
Inflammatory and noninflammatory diseases of muscle.

Myositis:
Inflammation of a muscle.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs):A group of drugs, such as aspirin and aspirin-like drugs, used to reduce inflammation that causes joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.

Raynaud's phenomenon:
A circulatory condition associated with spasms in the blood vessels of the fingers and toes causing them to change color. After exposure to cold, these areas turn white, then blue, and finally red.

Remission:
A period during which symptoms of disease are reduced (partial remission) or disappear (complete remission).

Sicca syndrome:
A condition manifested by dry eyes and dry mouth.

Sleep disorder:
One in which a person has difficulty achieving restful, restorative sleep. In addition to other symptoms, patients with fibromyalgia usually have a sleep disorder.

Synovium:
A tissue that surrounds and protects the joints. It produces synovial fluid that nourishes and lubricates the joints.

Tender points:
Specific locations on the body that are painful, especially when pressed.
Tendons: Fibrous cords that connect muscle to bone.

Vasculitis:
Inflammation in the blood vessels. It may occur throughout the body.