Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

opps! We haven't gotten to fibro yet. I will post when we do.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Connie -
Wish you were here in GA!! Massage is one thing that helps me no end!

"Trigger points" are different from "Tender points." People with fibro have "Tender points" and "Trigger points" go with myofascial pain syndrome which is different from fibromyalgia.

But everyone and his brother seems to call tender points trigger points, so I really shouldn't kvetch!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ “The more serious the illness, the more important it is for you to fight back, mobilizing all your resources-spiritual, emotional, intellectual, physical.” ~*~
~*~ Norman Cousins ~*~
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Connie, I wish you lived near me..I would love a massage and sometimes I actually have my hubby, press in and hold (to a count of 10)on spots on my body that are driving me crazy with pain..it helps.

I think the biggest thing with massaging Fibro patients is to make sure your hands are warm..

What is the going price for massages these days?

Janet
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

Janet you are having your hubby use compression strokes on you.

The cost of a massage at the spa where I go to class is around $85. Here it is $40/$45.

If you have a honey to massage you, you can buy DVDs that teach massage.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In my area, a "spa massage" is around $100 - $150/hour, but a "therapeutic massage" in a gym or medical office runs about $50-60/hour and about $35 for 1/2 hour. There is a medical office with a therpeutic masseusse just a mile or so from my house, but she's booked up for weeks ahead, so I can't just "run in" when I'm having a flare.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

~*~ We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. ~*~
~*~ Richard Feynman ~*~
Old 02-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Connie, you might find this article interesting:

From "Garden Massage: A New Reason to Love Vegetables," published by Spirituality & Health Magazine:

Nadia Ohar, D.D., shares a service she offers at her women-only spa, called a garden vegetable wellness massage.

Her description sounded absolutely delightful, perhaps the best use for cucumbers we've heard of.
I start by using a fresh cucumber to gently roll out the kinks and tension areas on your back while you listen to an array of soft, instrumental music in the background. I heat potatoes and position them on different areas of your back to release any tension in your muscles, while I proceed to use garden carrots to massage the backs of your feet. While you are completely relaxed, I use Goya beans that are made into cotton beanbags and I gently rub in circular motions on each arm and each leg until the process is complete.

Janet
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Assistant Moderator

sounds wonderful! Like hot stone massage.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Brothers & Sisters who don't understand, anyone?

I'm not on the computer very often, so sorry to just jump in and refer so far back, but I am wondering..

Someone said something about surrounding yourself with positive people. My brothers and sisters are generally understanding about the pain, but not about that I can't really control it or that things I do sometimes don't help and sometimes they do. They don't understand that some things I do help me and other things can hurt me and not help or hurt them.

They, in a nutshell, are "understanding" on the surface, but if I say something they also are willing to jump in with comments about how I should just get over it. They "understand" pain. Just not mine.

So, I am coming for advice and "what did you do if this sounds like you"... do I continue to try to explain to the sibs (and usually end up getting emotionally hurt) or just not tell them when I hurt, what I'm doing, etc.?

Do your other family members understand? The immediate family (my husband & kids) understand to some degree. My husband has warned me not to tell his mother anything about anything. (she embellishes and spreads - so really, I'm not supposed to tell her ANYTHING without really thinking it through)

Thanks.
Elizabeth Bowen
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Assistant Moderator

My dd is the one with fibro/JRA and food allergies. She is 16, her brothers are 21 and 12. We have some problems with the 21 yo understanding but he is another story! As for my dad and my sis and my inlaws, forgot any type of understanding. No support no understanding but they will gossip about us when they want to. I just flat out stay as far away as I can. The kids are under orders to be nice and polite when they are around thier grandparents but they do not have to take garbage off them. It sounds harsh but that is the only way we can protect our family both pyhsicaly and emotionaly.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm so sorry you have so many people in your life who are not understanding, Elizabeth. It makes me grateful that my family members understand to the degree anyone without the disease can, and are very, very supportive - most of the time. But they all have days when they are embroiled in their own problems and just can't add mine to them at that moment.

When I first got the diagnosis, it explained so much that had been going on for so many years, that all the family were relieved to have a diagnosis, a name, for what was affecting me. One day they asked me what it was like, and I thought about it for a while. Then I told them it was like having flu all the time - the muscle aches, the fatigue, the inability to comprehend stuff. Since all the members of the family have had flu at one time or another, it resonated with them, and they had a better understanding of it.

It boils down to this - if they care about you as a person, if they *want* to understand, they will. If they are incapable of caring about you as a person, not just a wife, or a mother, or a daughter or a SIL or a "something," but a person, then you need to write them off to the degree you have to. That may sound harsh, but you have to preserve yourself.

For your daughter, Connie, you will have to be the protector and demand - yes, demand - understanding and compassion from the other members of the family. If they refuse to give it, then, as I said above, write them off to the degree possible.

I'm not happy about having fibro (and RA), you understand, but I'm pretty much resigned to it. I had a few "friends" who didn't believe I was sick. They used to slander me behind my back. I ended up leaving them behind and getting on with my life. I can't deal with that kind of attitude plus deal with trying to get though the day.

If my husband refused to listen to me or to try to understand or at least accept the truth of this disease, I don't know what I would do. Someone at his work met me on a "good" day, and made some nasty remark to him later about I must not be as sick as I'm leading him to believe. The ol' curmudgeon nearly decked him, but restrained himself. He did tell the guy in no uncertain terms that I had never lied to him in the past, he had no reason to think I was lying to him now, and therefore I was telling him the truth when I told him I was sick, tired, aching, etc. He was madder than a wet hen when he came home. One of the other guys at his work told me later that he was afraid he'd have to pull my DH off the other guy. I told him that this was the kind of thing I used to encounter all the time, but I had "dumped" the people who treated me that way. He was incensed that I had to deal with people like that. His protectiveness makes me feel very cherished and cared for.

He can't understand how a man could be married to a woman he doesn't trust when she says she doesn't feel well. And, frankly, I can't understand it, either.

Baseline - protect yourself as best you can, and find people to surround yourself with who will support you. If it is limited to "virtual" friends on internet lists and fora, then so be it. But find the people who support you and cherish them. They will help you more than you know.

Warm hugs -
Elizabeth

~*~ "Mistakes are a part of the dues one pays for a full life." ~*~
~*~ Sophia Loren ~*~