Graves disease

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Does anybody here have Graves disease (overactive thyroid) or have a family member or close friend who has it? I've had it since 2002 and was just wondering if there was anybody else here that I could chat with it about it.

Laura

• I have the opposite of you.......an underactive thyroid.

My mother has Graves Disease.

My maternal grandmother had an underactive thyroid.

Thyroid disorders run in my mother's side of the family.
  • It is nice to meet someone else here who has a relative with Graves disease. It seems that underactive thyroids are much more common. There is a site that I go to dedicated to Graves disease but there are new people there all the time and they usually ask the same questions over and over again.

I was diagnosed in December of 2002. I had started a new job in the hottest part of the summer in California and the office was adjacent to a Japanese restaurant, so it was always hot because of their boilers. I thought that I was sweating a lot more because of that until I had labs done. Wish I had gone to the doctor sooner. I took medication for 13 months and then the doctor took me off. I chose that over the radioactive iodine treatment.

Do you know if your mother had the radioactive iodine treatment or if she takes medication (PTU)? And you probably take a thyroid replacement medication once a day such as Synthroid or Levoxyl, right?

Hugs,
    Laura

• Quote:
    Originally posted by apricot
    Do you know if your mother had the radioactive iodine treatment or if she takes medication (PTU)? And you probably take a thyroid replacement medication once a day such as Synthroid or Levoxyl, right?
    Well actually, my mother doesn't take her medicine like she should because when she did, she started to put on weight. Her doctor & I fuss at her all the time for it!

Yes, I take Synthroid daily.
  • Cindy, Our families sound a lot alike. My grandmother took Synthroid, my mother says that she has been tested and the tests were negative ( I question that with some of the symptoms that she has but.....) and I have an underactive Thyroid and take Synthroid too.
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by Abear
    Well actually, my mother doesn't take her medicine like she should because when she did, she started to put on weight. Her doctor & I fuss at her all the time for it!

Yes, I take Synthroid daily.
    Abear,

I had been skinny all my life and then gained 40 pounds before I found out that I had Graves disease. When I first started taking the medicine I gained 10 more pounds and then stayed the same after that. When the doctor took me off the medicine I lost those 10 pounds but still have yet to lose most of the other 40 pounds. Some of it may also be due to menopause because I am close to 50 years.

I can understand your mother not wanting to take her medicine though because even though my doctor said it was helping according to the blood tests, I felt extremely tired all the time but could only sleep in 4-hour intervals. :

It is good that you take your medicine faithfully.

Hugs,
    Laura

• Quote: Abear,

I had been skinny all my life and then gained 40 pounds before I found out that I had Graves disease. When I first started taking the medicine I gained 10 more pounds and then stayed the same after that. When the doctor took me off the medicine I lost those 10 pounds but still have yet to lose most of the other 40 pounds. Some of it may also be due to menopause because I am close to 50 years.

I can understand your mother not wanting to take her medicine though because even though my doctor said it was helping according to the blood tests, I felt extremely tired all the time but could only sleep in 4-hour intervals. :

It is good that you take your medicine faithfully.

Hugs,
    Laura

Six years back I was diagnosed as hyperactive; I was taking meds while I was pregnant and then quit after the baby. I am not really sure what hyperactive thyroid meant.
  • Quote: Six years back I was diagnosed as hyperactive; I was taking meds while I was pregnant and then quit after the baby. I am not really sure what hyperactive thyroid meant.
    You probably know your thyroid is located in the neck. It would be where the Adam's apple is on men. It is overactive when it starts producting too much thyroid hormone. The thyroid controls your body temperature and affects a lot of other things. It can cause increased heart rate, excessive sweating, shaking, high blood pressure, nervousness, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, staring and bulging eyes, and other problems.

Did you have a blood test after you had the baby to see if your thyroid went back to normal?

Laura

• Quote: You probably know your thyroid is located in the neck. It would be where the Adam's apple is on men. It is overactive when it starts producting too much thyroid hormone. The thyroid controls your body temperature and affects a lot of other things. It can cause increased heart rate, excessive sweating, shaking, high blood pressure, nervousness, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, staring and bulging eyes, and other problems.

Did you have a blood test after you had the baby to see if your thyroid went back to normal?

Laura

I hate needle and do not like taking medicine. Most of what you mentioned are my symptoms; increased heart rate, shaking, nervousness, anxiety, and bulging eyes.
  • Quote: I hate needle and do not like taking medicine. Most of what you mentioned are my symptoms; increased heart rate, shaking, nervousness, anxiety, and bulging eyes.
    With the needles that they use now, you shouldn't even feel it, if the lab person knows what they are doing. I had to go every month for awhile and got used to it. I just looked the other way and it was over before I knew it. Also, I can understand not wanting to take medication but if it is going to prevent a goiter, heart attack or blindness, etc. then it is worth taking. I encourage you to get tested, if not for yourself, for the sake of your family.