Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Graves disease

Does anybody here have Graves disease (overactive thyroid) or have a family member or close friend who has it? I've had it since 2002 and was just wondering if there was anybody else here that I could chat with it about it.

Laura

Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have the opposite of you.......an underactive thyroid.

My mother has Graves Disease.

My maternal grandmother had an underactive thyroid.

Thyroid disorders run in my mother's side of the family.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

It is nice to meet someone else here who has a relative with Graves disease. It seems that underactive thyroids are much more common. There is a site that I go to dedicated to Graves disease but there are new people there all the time and they usually ask the same questions over and over again.

I was diagnosed in December of 2002. I had started a new job in the hottest part of the summer in California and the office was adjacent to a Japanese restaurant, so it was always hot because of their boilers. I thought that I was sweating a lot more because of that until I had labs done. Wish I had gone to the doctor sooner. I took medication for 13 months and then the doctor took me off. I chose that over the radioactive iodine treatment.

Do you know if your mother had the radioactive iodine treatment or if she takes medication (PTU)? And you probably take a thyroid replacement medication once a day such as Synthroid or Levoxyl, right?

Hugs,
Laura

Old 06-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by apricot
Do you know if your mother had the radioactive iodine treatment or if she takes medication (PTU)? And you probably take a thyroid replacement medication once a day such as Synthroid or Levoxyl, right?
Well actually, my mother doesn't take her medicine like she should because when she did, she started to put on weight. Her doctor & I fuss at her all the time for it!

Yes, I take Synthroid daily.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Cindy, Our families sound a lot alike. My grandmother took Synthroid, my mother says that she has been tested and the tests were negative ( I question that with some of the symptoms that she has but.....) and I have an underactive Thyroid and take Synthroid too.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Abear
Well actually, my mother doesn't take her medicine like she should because when she did, she started to put on weight. Her doctor & I fuss at her all the time for it!

Yes, I take Synthroid daily.
Abear,

I had been skinny all my life and then gained 40 pounds before I found out that I had Graves disease. When I first started taking the medicine I gained 10 more pounds and then stayed the same after that. When the doctor took me off the medicine I lost those 10 pounds but still have yet to lose most of the other 40 pounds. Some of it may also be due to menopause because I am close to 50 years.

I can understand your mother not wanting to take her medicine though because even though my doctor said it was helping according to the blood tests, I felt extremely tired all the time but could only sleep in 4-hour intervals. :

It is good that you take your medicine faithfully.

Hugs,
Laura

Last edited by apricot; 06-19-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricot
Abear,

I had been skinny all my life and then gained 40 pounds before I found out that I had Graves disease. When I first started taking the medicine I gained 10 more pounds and then stayed the same after that. When the doctor took me off the medicine I lost those 10 pounds but still have yet to lose most of the other 40 pounds. Some of it may also be due to menopause because I am close to 50 years.

I can understand your mother not wanting to take her medicine though because even though my doctor said it was helping according to the blood tests, I felt extremely tired all the time but could only sleep in 4-hour intervals. :

It is good that you take your medicine faithfully.

Hugs,
Laura

Six years back I was diagnosed as hyperactive; I was taking meds while I was pregnant and then quit after the baby. I am not really sure what hyperactive thyroid meant.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivetz
Six years back I was diagnosed as hyperactive; I was taking meds while I was pregnant and then quit after the baby. I am not really sure what hyperactive thyroid meant.
You probably know your thyroid is located in the neck. It would be where the Adam's apple is on men. It is overactive when it starts producting too much thyroid hormone. The thyroid controls your body temperature and affects a lot of other things. It can cause increased heart rate, excessive sweating, shaking, high blood pressure, nervousness, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, staring and bulging eyes, and other problems.

Did you have a blood test after you had the baby to see if your thyroid went back to normal?

Laura

Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricot
You probably know your thyroid is located in the neck. It would be where the Adam's apple is on men. It is overactive when it starts producting too much thyroid hormone. The thyroid controls your body temperature and affects a lot of other things. It can cause increased heart rate, excessive sweating, shaking, high blood pressure, nervousness, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, staring and bulging eyes, and other problems.

Did you have a blood test after you had the baby to see if your thyroid went back to normal?

Laura

I hate needle and do not like taking medicine. Most of what you mentioned are my symptoms; increased heart rate, shaking, nervousness, anxiety, and bulging eyes.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivetz
I hate needle and do not like taking medicine. Most of what you mentioned are my symptoms; increased heart rate, shaking, nervousness, anxiety, and bulging eyes.
With the needles that they use now, you shouldn't even feel it, if the lab person knows what they are doing. I had to go every month for awhile and got used to it. I just looked the other way and it was over before I knew it. Also, I can understand not wanting to take medication but if it is going to prevent a goiter, heart attack or blindness, etc. then it is worth taking. I encourage you to get tested, if not for yourself, for the sake of your family.