Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My husband has cancer...

I was just wondering if anyone else was going through this or had some one in their family that was going through cancer. Its a diffcult time and knowing someone was there is so comforting.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kimberly - my first DH passed away from cancer (melanoma) because he was too stubborn to see a doctor until it was too late. I bugged him for almost 4 yrs to go see the doctor because I was pretty sure he had cancer. When he got the official diagnosis at M.D. Anderson Hospital, they gave him only 3-4 months to live. He ended up living a year and 5 months.

My Dad is now a 6 yr cancer (lung) survivor.

It is tough watching someone you love going through such a tough battle. I honestly believe what my Dad says - "80% of the battle is attitude."

After his diagnosis, my Dad never gave up and, for the most part, was always positive and up beat. Yes, he had his "poor me" moments but he never let them last too long. My Dad also followed every single instruction given to him by his doctors. (including drinking 3 cans of Ensure or Boost each day even though he couldn't stand the taste or texture of the stuff)

Having been through both experiences, I know how important it is to have someone to vent to. So, please, vent anytime you need to!!!

((((HUGS))))
Old 10-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My brother Scott was 30 years old when he was diagnosed with Non Hodgekins Lymphoma - He had a huge growth in his neck that no one knew about. He went through chemo & radiation and never, ever lost his good sense of humor. That really helped us as a family & definitely helped him. He was told that the treatments would leave him sterile. He is now 39 years old & has been cancer free for 8 years - Oh & his son just turned 6 It was a tough experience for all of us as a family but it really was a learning experience also. We learned to trust God more & to realize that family/friends are the most important things. It has really helped Scott in his ministry to have gone through this. Since then, God has allowed Scott to start a church in Nazareth PA & they have around 100 members. Take Care Kimberly, you & your husband & family will be in my prayers!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good morning tutterbear (sp), I wellknow the road you are on now. I lost my beloved hubby (10/18/95) due to inoperable brain and lung cancer likewise a dear brother with samething PLUS non hodgekins lymphoma despite having 3 cancers he lasted longer than my dear hubby but lost him a month and three days after losing hubby.

NOW another brother is battling the big C so bravely he has cancer is lots of places, bone, lung, brain, prostrate,lymphoma I think that is all and he is now down to 128 pounds as of last week when I talked with his so very loving/patient wife. She is a colon cancer survivor of 7 yrs now. So she knows the road too.

Your family will be in my prayers. Take one day at a time God bless
Old 10-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tutterbear,

You need to hold onto the hope and faith and good spirits that surround you.

Although I lost my Grandma to pancreatic cancer nearly30 years ago, and my sister in lawa year ago from brain cancer; my dad survived bladder cancer, 20 years ago, and repeated scares with pre-cancerous skin leisions throughout his life-time ( why he won't wear A HAT is beyond me! Stubborn man) ..

So many people do beat this disease.. it is everywhere.. and you'll be amazed at just how many people's lives have been touched by it.

I'll keep you and your DH in my prayers.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Val is right keep your faith. True we have lost lots to that nasty big C BUT also lots of survivors out there too. God bless
Old 10-16-2004, 01:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am so sorry to hear that your husband has cancer...my father found out that he had prostate cancer about 5 years ago...but he has gone thru all the treatments, developed a better eating plan for optimal health and most importantly, decided to spend more time with his family and go to church. Today, his cancer is in remission and he tries to live life as normal as possible. Good Luck with everything, and be strong!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Keep your head up and your attitude positive. Cry when you have to but cry for the right reason, your scared. Hubby had cancer 15 years ago, it's just like it was yesterday. We had 2 small kids at the time and by the time he was in remission, we decided it was 98% attitude and the rest is drugs. I can't stress enough to get someone to talk to, you will become closer to your hubby but you still need someone outside the circle to keep you grounded.
You will find out how strong you are even if you don't think you are, boy o boy you are.
Best of luck to both of you, I'll start to pray for you tonight.
Carol
Old 10-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My brothers attitude is what I believe along with meds of is what is keeping him fighting so. Not to mention all the prayers that are going up in behalf of him.

Stay strong and yes do cry when you need to. God Bless
Old 10-16-2004, 08:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I lost my best friend 5 months ago to small cell cancer... when we found out about it they only gave her 4 months.... She was a fighter and lived for 18 months..... She left two children with no parents but they are doing great. Her attitude is what kept her going and she said it was also my friendship and being there with her. You will have your time to cry and that is okay cause everyone needs that. But never give up... And PRAY alot. God will guide you. Pray for strength to get through everything and you will do great.

God Bless you and your family

Kelly D