Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Migraine stroke

A friend has recently been hospitalised with what would appear to be a stroke ~ paralysis of right hand side of body, slurred speech, loss of vision in right eye. They think it is caused by a severe migraine. Has anyone heard of or experienced this before?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Meg...

These types of migraines are atypical, or complex migraines..

I get a form of them, and have done a lot of research on them, because they can be very frightening, here is a patient information excerpt from a neurological journal:

"Complicated migraines are migraines that are accompanied by neurological dysfunction. The part of the body that is affected by the dysfunction is determined by the part of the brain that is responsible for the headache. Vertebrobasilar migraines are characterized by dysfunction of the brainstem (the lower part of the brain that is responsible for automatic activities like consciousness and balance). The symptoms of vertebrobasilar migraines include fainting as an aura, vertigo (dizziness in which the environment seems to be spinning) and double vision. Hemiplegic migraines are characterized by paralysis or weakness of one side of the body, mimicking a stroke. The paralysis or weakness is usually temporary, but sometimes it can last for days."

I take a preventitive medication on a daily basis to prevent the headaches from occuring.

I hope your friend is feeling better...

Val
Old 08-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Val

She is slowly improving. Two weeks in hospital and two and a half in rehab so far. They are saying another two in rehab and then care when she returns home. It seems a long slow process. She has regained speech, can walk a little, and is regaining sight in the eye that lost it. So I guess it is looking good.

Meg
Old 08-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Meg...

Are they still saying this is a migraine? It sounds like a far more complex course than that.

Have they definately ruled out things like a true stroke, a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) or a cerebreal arterial spasm that can sometimes follow a small blood clot in the brain?

No matter the diagnosis, I hope her recovery continues to go well..

Knowing the cause of the incident will help to take steps to protect herself from future occurances..

My best to her!

Val
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I have migraine symptoms, I have the auro, the vision distortion, nausea and then, a headache of varying degrees of pain.

A couple weeks ago, I was driving along and
I realized I wasn't seeing very good. I covered
the right eye and I wasn't seeing out of the
left eye good at all, this was followed by an acute pain in the left eye. It was still hurting
me, but I continued to where I was going.

I went to the ophthalogist, later. He said, I had an embolism and was lucky it had stopped in the eye ?

Before this incident, I had a tomography done, as I have had some chest pain and tightness and lots of perspiration, even when
I am sleeping. They found my heart has calcium in it. I feel the tomography caused
this episode, as I had a very bad reaction to
the tracer dye. Does anyone, have any thoughts on this incident ?