Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-03-2002, 03:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking High Cholesterol

I wasn't sure which forum to write this in. It has a lot to do with diet so I chose the weight loss forum.

Well, I recently went for a check up with my family doctor. He asked me about my cholesterol. I told him that I never had it checked. I mean... I haven't eaten eggs (other than when they are cooked in something) since I was a child, I eat meat but very little, I don't drink milk (only in cereal and I don't have that very often), I just thought I'd "ace" this blood test.... They called me last week with a cholesterol reading of 395!!!!!!

I was adopted from Germany so I know nothing about my biological family's health. I really wasn't prepared for that particular cholesterol test. I had eaten breakfast. So today I go for a fasting blood test. -Please pray for me. I know God is able. I mean he parted the Red Sea, healed blind eyes, turned water into wine, etc. and the Bible says, "He's the same yesterday, today and forever", I know he can take care of my cholesterol!

Does anyone have any ideas on naturally bringing your cholesterol down? Maybe some recipes or good foods to eat.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Chris, it is very important that you do go for the Fasting blood work. ANy food you had eaten prior to the last one would raise the levels.

I have high cholesterol also however, my body produces it on its own which is hereditary. I have to exercise more as well.

Listen to the doctor and it will get better

Good Luck on the new test.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the reply. My cholesterol level, after fasting, was 348. -Not very good. The doctor is going to put me on Lipitor. I really hate the thought of taking meds for this (or anything). They all have such ugly side effects. Mine must be heredity too. I'm going to try to follow a low-cholesterol diet. I guess I'll start on my meds tomorrow. Do you take anything for your cholesterol? I'm 35 and finally had this checked. Now I wonder how long it's been high! Thanks for the advice! Have a good one.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

High Cholesterol

Hi Chris

I know what you are going through. I have been battling high cholesterol for 10+ years now and each and every time I think I have done good, the Dr. tells me the same ole line....."your cholesterol is high". Well last month my new doctor (i moved) finally made me realize that despite my having had my fill of taking meds, it is my life we are talking here. So yes he put me on Zocor. I found it to have had some stomach side affects....but then again I already have stomach problems, but to be safe he did change me to Lipitor. I have been on it now for 3 days and the side affects aren't as drastic. So please, listen to your doctor........and as for these herbal remedies........please do alot of reading and ask alot of questions before experimenting with them!

Good Luck......You'll be okey

Regards
Cindy
Old 05-27-2002, 11:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Cindy, for your reply. I've learned a lot about cholesterol (well, health in general) lately. I know now that cholesterol levels are affected 80% by heredity and 20% by what you eat. -Scarey being adopted from Germany and knowing absolutely nothing about my bio family!

I went to see a homeopath and her recommendation was to get on a diet that is right for my blood type. I had a blood-type test and she gave me a list of good foods and bad foods. My doctor also told me the best diet to go on to substantially lower cholesterol is the 20 gram diet. He loaned me two books. One (a small paper back fat counter book) called The 20 Gram Diet by Gabe Mirkin, M.D. and another (hard back) called Fat Free, Flavor Full by Mirkin and Rich.

The hard back has this guy's story of high cholesterol and how he tried to beat it without meds. The only thing that worked was this 20 gram diet. He tried eating differently, even running three times a day!

The homeopath put me on suppliments too. Nothing weird. There are some really weird alternative medicines out there! If this diet doesn't work I'll have no choice but to go on medication. I wanted to give this a try first and to be honest... It's not costing me any more that my getting the Lipitor perscription filled.

I think the best thing I can do is to put my faith in God. He created me and knows me inside and out. He's also able! Have a great day Cindy. -I think I'll look up some heart-healthy recipes!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I finally broke down and went for more blood work yesterday. THe doctor just called me and told me it was a lot higher then the last time I had it check which was in Januray.

My levels now are 319 and my bad cholesterol is 244 (both of which are VERY high).

This too run in the family so the genetics are there.

The doctor is giving me Lipator as well. I have to start taking it tonight and then get more bloodwork done in one month to see if it is helping.

They told me it is not what I am eating since I have beendoing this same plan for almost a year and I have lost weight. It is definitely hereditery for me.

Now I have to find out what foods I can and can't have and incorporate that into my WOE.

Wish me luck... This is one hell of a year so far

Well of to the Pharmacy.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

high cholesterol

My husband just got the results of his blood work. Cholesterol=208, Triglycerides over 900!!

The Dr.said only aerobic exercise would lower triglycerides. Does anybody have any experience with this problem?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, My husband cholesterol was 221, and the triglycerides were 400. His doctor put him on Lipitor and said to cut down on how much meat he eats and the amount of sweets he eats. We have done this and is over all cholesterol was down to 168 in three months. Try to modify your diet, cut down on portions, don't fry anything if you can get by with it. I bake, grill or crockpot almost all of our meat. The only fried meat allowed in our house is tenderloins. If I decide to fry other meat it is done in cooking spray or water only. I boil, bake or mashed potatoes. Only fry potatoes about twice a month now. I don't put butter on vegetables anymore. We eat wheat or oat bread. Try to keep fresh fruits and vegetables around. I still bake cookies and cakes but on a much more limited basis now. Instead of every week for cakes or every month for cookies. Cake is on a monthly basis and cookies on a three to 6 month basis. If I did it the old way he would have them gone in no time and I would be stuck in the kitchen all the time. For our baked or boiled potatoes we will have sour cream but no butter, or Ranch dressing on them. But you need to limit that also unless you get the no fat kind. As for exercise, my husband will use the walking mower instead of the rider. He will walk to the park with our daughter. Or take her to the lake and swim all day. He will go for a bike ride with her. If he can't get outside he gets on the stationary bike for the aerobic exercise, put it in the living room with the tv and they can watch while they ride. As for gravies for the potatoes, I use a broth and cornstartch to make gravy not the flour and leftover grease from the meat gravy. It is better for you and there is almost always broth with baked meats, or you can buy it in the can. You can also get boullion broths to make gravys no fat. I hope this helps you some. It is hard work to keep a husband healthy to be with us while we are getting older. Good Luck,
Dawn
Old 06-13-2002, 05:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your husband's physician is mistaken. There are specific protocols recommended for reducing triglycerides. However, in a situation where triglyceride measurements are this high, I must assume that he has been diagnosed with Familial Hypercholesterolemia, a genetically-transmitted syndrome, and your kids should also be tested. In this situation, I'd check with a different physician, one who is better trained in treating this situation. The earlier, the better. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband had a similar experience last year. His doctor told us to cut way back on rice and potatoes. Within a couple of weeks the triglycerides were at a normal level. Hope this helps!