Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-13-2004, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Power Couple

For a powerful, arterial health-boosting combo, pair up orange juice and oatmeal at breakfast.

Phenolic compounds in oats work synergistically with vitamin C to inhibit a key step in the formation of arterial plaques, research has revealed.

Stir vitamin C-rich fruits such as strawberries, cantaloupe, or papaya into your homemade oatmeal, or serve it with a side of orange juice, to help keep your arteries clear.

Love your heart..it is the only one you have!

janet
Old 09-13-2004, 05:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Great info!!

Thanks for sharing Janet!!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Can You Really Prevent Heart Disease?

When President Bill Clinton needed heart surgery, I was shocked! Losing weight and shaping up didn’t help him. How can it help those of us with fewer resources?

Who knows what would have happened to President Clinton if he hadn’t lost weight and worked as hard as he says he did with a personal trainer? He has attributed some of the blame for his heart disease on heredity -- it runs in his mother’s family -- as well as his well-known love for unhealthy food.

Unfortunately, despite the excellent medical care presidents receive, there are no simple tests to reveal coronary artery disease in people who have no symptoms.

As President Clinton has told us until recently he had no symptoms and had done well on exercise stress tests in the past.

However, these tests aren’t fool proof and don’t always reveal that there’s heart trouble brewing.

According to what I’ve read, the former President thought the shortness of breath he had been experiencing prior to his surgery was due to the fact that he hadn’t been working out regularly while promoting his book.
He thought his chest pains were signs of acid reflux. Another factor that may have worked against him: he had stopped taking the statin drugs prescribed to control his cholesterol. Some experts believe this was a big mistake. I agree.

President Clinton’s doctors have said that from now on he’ll have to maintain a low-salt, low fat diet in an effort to stay healthy. It’s not too late for him, or for anyone else, to make positive changes that can lower the risk of heart disease. Among them:

If you smoke, quit.

Get at least 30 minutes of exercise three times a week. I recommend a brisk 45 minute walk daily as the optimal amount of exercise.

Limit the amount of saturated fat in your diet.

Maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise.

Avoid fast food and highly processed food.

Eat more fruits and vegetables.

Avoid polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, and all foods that might contain trans-fatty acids (such as deep-fried foods).

Increase omega-3 fatty acids, especially eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) from fish and fortified eggs. If you don’t eat fish, I would recommend taking a fish oil supplement. The omega-3 fatty acids they contain have been shown to be an effective preventive strategy against heart disease; they can lower triglycerides, increase HDL cholesterol, help minimize inflammation and blood clotting, and keep blood vessels healthy.

Try to substitute green tea for coffee.

Eat whole grains, nuts, and seeds for their fiber and other protective factors.

At the same time, decrease the amounts of white bread, pasta and other refined carbohydrates in your diet.

Eat soy foods, garlic, and ****ake and oyster mushrooms regularly.

Finally, learning various relaxation techniques such as meditation, Yoga, breathing exercises or biofeedback can help manage stress.

Personal note* I take a statin meds, do you?

janet
Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Janet, this is wonderful information!
How do you get the inspiration and motivation to eat well? I have been forever addicted to sweets and fast foods and soda.............and the thought of eating healthy is just SO hard for me.

I just found out my cholesterol was high and the doc is sending me to a "healthy heart" class in March............
hugs, train
Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
Can You Really Prevent Heart Disease?

Personal note* I take a statin meds, do you?

janet
Janet....Great information. I take the cholesterol lowering drug Vytorin. It is used along with a special diet to lower the amount of fatty material in the blood-tryglycerides and LDL( bad cholesterol ) that can build up on artery walls and block blood flow.At the same time, Vytorin raises HDL (good cholesterol) which helps prevent fats from building up and clogging the arteries.
Vytorin is a combination of two drugs, simvastatin (Zocor) and ezetimibe (Zetia). Each work in a different way to lower levels of fat in the blood. One works on the liver the other on the intestines.
Hopefully after I take my next blood test will see a big difference.
______
Sueanne

Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Assistant Moderator

I am joining the high cholesterol club. Mine is super high. I do eat fairly well which is scary.