Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:12 AM

New Cholesterol Medicine

Hi Everyone-

I have been fighting being put on cholesterol medicine for a couple of years now but have finally had to admit defeat in trying to get it low enough on my own. I have done some intensive searches on what is out there and talked with alot of co workers who are on cholesterol medicines. I am reluctant to take any statins such as Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc. because of all the bad side effects and have discussed this with my doctor.

I am also diabetic with high blood pressure.

We decided to try something new on the market, it's called Zetia. Zocor is coming out with something like this next year a combo pill to renew their patent that makes me so mad when drug companies do this to avoid it going generic!

Anyways, today is day 1 of taking this. The only known side effects is stomach ache and tiredness... not pleasant but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else out there tried this?

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 07-21-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Anna, do you mean Zetia? I am taking that now along with Niaspan. It has gotten some good results for me. My dr seems pleased that this is working.
Sophie

Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 AM

Zetia

Ooops! Soddark thanks Zetia is what I meant, I went in and corrected it.

Glad to know I'm not "alone" in taking this. How long have you been taking it now?

Also Niaspan, I've never heard of that either. Is that also a cholesterol medicine? There are so many drugs out there, it's impossible to keep up with them all

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 07-21-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:21 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been taking the Zetia a little under a year and the Niaspan which is Niacin for over a year. The Niaspan is supposed to raise the good cholesterol level. I have never had any problems with the Zetia either, I forgot to mention that in my first message!
Sophie

Old 07-21-2004, 07:26 AM

Sophie-

That is good news to hear... I was really reluctant to try something so new.

Did you have any of the side effects they mention: Stomach ache or tiredness?

Anna
Old 07-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

No stomach problems or tiredness. What miligram are taking? I think mine is10 I will have to check later. I know it is the littlest tablet I have ever seen!!
Sophie

Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 AM

Sophie-

Yes, mine is 10 mg too and it sure is tiny. The doctor gave me 3 months worth free and of course, they are in those little foil pkgs. I took each one out to put in my pill box.. if I don't have them that way I panic and can't remember if I took them or not. I am way paranoid about missing or overdosing.

Anna
Old 08-09-2004, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: New Cholesterol Medicine

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
I have been fighting being put on cholesterol medicine for a couple of years now but have finally had to admit defeat in trying to get it low enough on my own. I am reluctant to take any statins such as Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, etc. because of all the bad side effects and have discussed this with my doctor.

I am also diabetic with high blood pressure.

We decided to try something new on the market, it's called Zetia.
Anna- I am SO interested in this!!

My DH is also a diabetic with hypertension....and with high cholesterol. He has tried taking the Zocor, Lipitor and one other drug that I can't think of right now but they all gave him muscle aches, pains & spasms.

About a month ago, the doctor started him on Crestor saying that it doesn't cause side effects like DH suffered from as often as the others. Well, about a week or so ago, DH started complaining of the muscle aches. He is wanting me to call the doctor's office today and see what can be done.

I think I will ask them about the possibility of him trying the Zetia.

How is it going with you since you started the med? Have you suffered any side effects??? Did they say how long you would need to be on the med before you could expect to see some results??

THANKS!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:25 AM

Zetia

Cindy-

I've been taking it for about 3-4 weeks now with no "bad" side effects that I can tell other than I was taking it at 9am with my other meds, in about 1 hour I was noticing extreme tiredness that lasted about 3 hours. I switched to now I take it in the evening after dinner and no longer have the tiredness. I'm not sure if it was my body getting used to the meds, the eating it on a empty stomach or just because I've been on the go and not getting proper sleep in combination with it. I figured though if I'm gonna be tired, might as well be at night when I'm sleeping anyways. That's the only negative I see so far. I don't go in for reavalution for about another 6 weeks and we'll see then if it's helping.

Anna
Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Anna!!

I called the doctor yesterday. She said that given the heart disease that runs in DH's family (on both mother & father's side), she really wanted him on a statin. But since that is evidentally not possible due to the pains & spasms, she would start him on the Zetia and Nispan ER together (like Sophie) and see how that works.

She wants DH to go in for a Liver Function test in 4 weeks but will not re-check his cholesterol levels for 8 weeks.

Since you will get re-checked before my DH, please let us know how it is working for you when you get re-checked, okay.