Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Howdy...

I was just reading back over some posts..and Amanda, as to your questions to the clotting issues... it's a personal choice I make...

Any plant sterols, (high levels of soy, black cohash, etc).. increase estrogen levels in body fat. There is no conclusive research that these phytoestrogens don't cause increased clotting of the blood in people who's clotting proteins are sensitive to the increased estrogen levels.

Yes, the isoflavones in soy are shown to decrease blood clotting as part of a cholesterol reducing diet in MEN... .. but in estrogen sensitive clotting disorders.. there isn't enough research for ME yet... ..so I'll just keep off the plant estrols, and have no regrets if I go blind despite myself...

Ever since I had that stroke in my eye.. I'm enjoying the benefits of an estrogen-free life... lolol...
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Anna! Are you still on thew Zetia?? Is it working for you??

DH is still on the Zetia & Niaspan ER but with only minimal results. The doctor is fussing at him to try to get more exercise as the options are limited since he can't take statins.

My FIL was put on Vytorin almost 6 months ago. He is also a diabetic with hypertension, congestive heart failure and mild kidney disease. His cholesterol level when he started on it was 220. They drew blood this past Monday for his visit to the cardiologist today. When we went, the cardiologist said that his level is now at 106!!!!

Only problem is.....it's in the statin family so no chance of trying it on DH!!

Here's a link to the Vytorin website if you're interested:

http://www.vytorin.com/ezetimibe_sim...umer/index.jsp
Old 06-17-2005, 05:17 AM

Abear

It seems to be working o.k. good results last test but I'm way behind on getting re tested... will be going again next month.

I still do not like the way it makes me feel, really tired for about a hour after taking it so I don't take it till after 4 pm since I work and can't be tired here. It's a really overwhelming tiredness but like I said after a hour it goes away. They say your body produces the most cholesterol at night so taking it in the evening is really the best time to take it.

Anna