Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda..

Thanks for your response! It makes perfect sense... I know the wheels of FDA beaurocracy do creak along slowly and at a high cost.. that we all eventually pay for..

I cannot take plant esters.. I have clotting issues... and I take a good dose of omega 3's and 6's every day ( that I can remember to take them! LOLOL) as part of my medication regimine...

Thankfully my cholesterol levels are "boarderline" despite my very overwight state... My triglycerides are a real problem..and I need to control my carbs more than I am willing to do...

Just because we'r adults ..doesn't mean we're all grown-ups.

Val
Old 08-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cholesterol Medicine

My husband and I take Lovastatin. It is working very well for us. One you never want to take is "Liptor". It can ruin your health. I have read some terrible reports on it and heard some terrible things about it. Something else I recently learned - you don't want to take an anti-depressant of any kind unless you are positive you need it. If you don't really need it in your system, it will make a zombie of you, if it doesn't kill you first.

Sue L.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Re: Cholesterol Medicine

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue L.
Something else I recently learned - you don't want to take an anti-depressant of any kind unless you are positive you need it. If you don't really need it in your system, it will make a zombie of you, if it doesn't kill you first.

Sue L.
Sue... Of course you shouldn't take antidepressents if you don't need them!

Just like you shouldn't take cholesterol lowering medication if you don't absolutely need that either.. Always try diet and exercise first. Drug therapy should be a last resort because of the side effects of these medications.

But antidepressent drugs are , to the clinically depressed person, what insulin is to the diabetic. A correction for a chemical imbalance in the body. All drugs have side effects. Some worse than others.

But if you do need it, then antidepressent therapy is a life saving thing.

It's also important to know, there is no danger in taking antidepressents with cholesterol medication.

The only known connection between antidepressents and cholesterol, is that in some Bipolar patients, some antidepressent medications have been shown to raise cholesterol levels..

There are many "generations" and forms of antidepressent medications out there.

Some drugs in any catagory work better for one person than another might.. Just like the variety of cholesterol treatment drugs we are discussing in this thread.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Medications

Yes, I surely realize you shouldn't take any medication unless you need it, but a doctor prescribed an antidepressant for a nerve problem my husband had that caused him to scratch sores on his skin. When I questioned it, I was told they prescribed it for this problem also. Well, to make a long story short, he did not need what that drug provided and over a period of about 2-l/2 years it almost killed him. We attributed his health problems to age, but that was not the case. Since he already had plenty of what that drug provided, he was being over-dosed and it was making a zombie out of him. I realize you are suppose to monitor what drugs you take, but I only have a high school education and have the vast knowledge doctors are suppose to have. You can rest assured though that from now on, we will take nothing unless I thoroughly research it first.

Sue L.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:06 AM

Sue

I strongly agree... do your research and ask questions before popping any pill in your mouth.

Sad to say, I know of at least 3 doctors who are relatives of folks I either work with or have worked with in the past year who are enticed to give out meds. for personal gain. Drug companies give out free trips to the Bahamas, and all kinds of other little perks for pushing their meds over another manufacturer's brand. So I am leery of taking any doctor's advice until I have done all the research myself and talked to others who have taken a medicine. My mil's doctor has pushed all kinds of meds that she doesn't need on her over the years without explaining to her what it is and what it's for... mostly antidrepressants that'll "make her feel better". I would turn his butt in if she'd let me.

Anna
Old 08-16-2004, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar
I cannot take plant esters.. I have clotting issues... and I take a good dose of omega 3's and 6's every day ( that I can remember to take them! LOLOL) as part of my medication regimine...
Really? Do plant esters cause you to clog??? I've never heard of that. How does it affect you?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Amanda,

I noticed on the website for Phytomega, there is a disclaimer that the FDA does not support any health claims for the product.

I'm curious as to why? Is it because the dosage of sterols is not high enough in the product?
Hi Val, wanted to give you an update after speaking with Melaleuca's Product Support. Here's what I was told in answer to your questions:

The FDA approves all of our individual ingredients. However, the FDA does not approve finished products UNLESS they are a prescription medication.

Please note that Melaleuca DOES adhere to all guidelines set by the FDA. After all, anyone could slap a bunch of approved ingredients together and sell them, but that would be illegal. Melaleuca follows all of the FDA's guidelines

She also said that where you may see "these statements have not been approved by the FDA" that simply means the statements haven't, but that doesn't mean that the ingredients have not.

Hope that helps!

Oh also, I mentioned what you said about not being able to take plant sterols as you said you have clotting issues. She wanted me to let you know that our plant sterols are dervied from soy.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:59 PM

Any suggestions on lowering the triglycerides? My cholesterol is 169 but the tris are 246, and my liver functions are up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Coll

Old 09-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Coll.. here is a link to a thread that was discussing triglycerides...

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=5564

There are other interesting " cholesterol threads" .. you just have to select the option to see threads that were posted "from the beginning" as aopposed to the past 30 days when viewing this forum..

Triglycerides are most easily controled by controling carbs.... No medication targets them specifically...

You might also want to have some blood work done to determing how well your body is processing the insulin you produce.. Sometimes high triglycerides are associated with insulin resistance.. Just a thought..
Old 09-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
You might also want to have some blood work done to determing how well your body is processing the insulin you produce.. Sometimes high triglycerides are associated with insulin resistance.. Just a thought..

If only the Navy doctors had done that blood work when DH first started having high triglycerides maybe he wouldn't have been medically discharged from the Navy with full blown diabetes.