Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 AM

Cindy

Sure thing. I will have my liver levels checked that day too.

Have you ever heard of Altace? My dh has congestive heart disease and low blood pressure, so they doctor switched him to this. It's supposed to be for high bp but it works extremely well for him... he was having alot of bad dizzy spells. It's very expensive, even with our mail in prescription plan it's $80.00 for a 3 months supply versus generic $20.00 for 3 mos. or regular $48.00 for three months.

Anna
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Volunteering at the doctor's office, I have seen Altace in the med sample room and knew it was a B/P med but have never known anyone personally who took it.

If you need info on it, you could try mayohealth.org.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:13 AM

Cindy-

No I meant he is taking it now, just wondered if you had heard of it in reference to your dh and his hypertension. My dh and also a former boss were put on this with really good results. Dh has had congestive heart disease for about 8 years on this Altace about 2 and has made a world of difference.

Anna
Old 08-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a692027.html

This is a link to patient drug information on Altace from the National Instutite of Health...
It is ( as the trade name implies) an alternative ACE inhibitor, and ACE inhibitors are successful in some patients and not in others...

Best of luck finding what works for DH!

Val
Old 08-11-2004, 05:21 AM

Thanks Val for posting that link... there are so many drugs out there and drugs that started out for one use and now are used for another... it's overwhelming to the general population, even my doctor had to get on the internet to do research on alternatives to the statins as I refused to consider them if there was another choice.

Anna
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am going to be straight up with you guys. I NEVER EVER promote my Melaleuca business here, not through posts. Yes I run advertisements, but I stay out of the conversations as far as related products go. But in this case I JUST CAN'T. I have been a customer of Melaleuca for 17 months and I couldn't be happier. I have learned so much and this particular subject is a sore spot with me, because there ARE alternatives out there to these statin drugs!

I want you guys to see for yourselves. If you want to hear more, I'll tell you. Phytomega has been proven to work in studies and it does not contain drugs. Check out the information from the Journal of American Medical Association below.

This article contains the results of the study between statin
(Lipitor and similar drugs) and dietary portfolio (Phytomega)
treatments.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/290/4/502

The Phytomega Breakthrough
By Dr. Bill Woods
From http://tobiashealinginstitute.org/temp/phytomega.htm

We have a breakthrough product, Phytomega that supports this finding. JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) article shows that phytosterols like Phytomega can reduce cholesterol just as effectively as the statin (Mevacor, Zocor, Lipitor, etc) drugs. "There were no significant differences in efficacy between the statin and dietary portfolio treatments." the article said.

Phytomega should be used before statin drugs are used! It also is very cost effective and YES I take it too. The cost per bottle is $19.99 if you are a preferred customer for a one month's supply. ($29.00 retail). This formula is also patented by Melaleuca, which means that noone else has this formulation and will be unable to copy it.

I really encourage you guys to look at this. I also encourage you to TAKE THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR DOCTOR and let him/her look it over.

Here's Melaleuca's article on Phytomega also
http://www.melaleuca.com/wc/index.cfm?m=1&p=44

Also, there's a PDF document that explains about Phytomega at the end of the Product Description on this page http://www.melaleuca.com/wc/PLong.cf...46&pi=4625&t=0 click where it says Product Information PDF's.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda,

I noticed on the website for Phytomega, there is a disclaimer that the FDA does not support any health claims for the product.

I'm curious as to why? Is it because the dosage of sterols is not high enough in the product?

The FDA standard for plant sterols from their website is as follows: (it's their standard from the year 2000, and applies to foods and dietary supplements)

"Scientific studies show that 1.3 grams per day of plant sterol esters or 3.4 grams per day of plant stanol esters in the diet are needed to show a significant cholesterol lowering effect. In order to qualify for this health claim, a food must contain at least 0.65 grams of plant sterol esters per serving or at least 1.7 grams of plant stanol esters per serving. The claim must specify that the daily dietary intake of plant sterol esters or plant stanol esters should be consumed in two servings eaten at different times of the day with other foods. "

I know plant sterols work to lower cholesterol by blocking fat absorption in the intestines..

The other ingredient in Phytomega is the Omega-3 fatty acids.. That's just an all around healty thing to add to your diet... Not just for lowering cholesterol, but for insulin reaction, vessel and heart health, and menstrual regularity too...

I did notice, however, that the JAMA article did state that the aditives contained in the Phytomega were only shown to be as effective as statin therapy in reducing cholesterol levels when used in conjunction with a low fat diet... Ii think it's important to remembr that no suplement can do it alone.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

zitia

I to am diabetic with high blood pressure..I was taking lipitor until my liver reading went up...dr put me on zetia and so far so good...no side effects....also was told my a nurse for a diabetic support group that calls me every 2 weeks...that it is better to take the zetia or what ever type cholestoral med at night cause that is when it is best utilized...hope this helps
Old 08-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Adizkide,

You're right about eveining dosing of statins...

Statins inhibit an enzyme, (HMG- CoA reductase), that controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body.

These drugs lower cholesterol by slowing down the production of cholesterol and by increasing the liver's ability to remove the LDL-cholesterol already in the blood.

Studies using statins have reported 20 to 60 percent lower LDL-cholesterol levels in patients on these drugs.

Statins also reduce elevated triglyceride levels and produce a modest increase in HDL-cholesterol.

The statins are usually given in a single dose at the evening meal or at bedtime.

It is important that these medications be given in the evening to take advantage of the fact that the body makes more cholesterol at night than during the day.

As posted above, the plant sterols work by blocking absorption of fats and cholesterol in the intestine, thereby reducing your cholesterol levels significantly, but only if your elevated cholesterol levels are diet related.

Some people have a condition where their body produce excessive levels of cholesterol, independent of diet.

For those individuals, statin therapy is probably the drug of choice.

As always, your doctor is the person whith whom you should be making all your medical decisions.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar
Amanda,

I noticed on the website for Phytomega, there is a disclaimer that the FDA does not support any health claims for the product.

I'm curious as to why? Is it because the dosage of sterols is not high enough in the product?

The FDA standard for plant sterols from their website is as follows: (it's their standard from the year 2000, and applies to foods and dietary supplements)

"Scientific studies show that 1.3 grams per day of plant sterol esters or 3.4 grams per day of plant stanol esters in the diet are needed to show a significant cholesterol lowering effect. In order to qualify for this health claim, a food must contain at least 0.65 grams of plant sterol esters per serving or at least 1.7 grams of plant stanol esters per serving. The claim must specify that the daily dietary intake of plant sterol esters or plant stanol esters should be consumed in two servings eaten at different times of the day with other foods. "
Hi Val

I Iooked on my bottle of Phytomega and it contains 1500mg of phytosterol esters. That 1500mg = 1.5 grams which of course is greater than the 1.3 that the studies show is necessary to show a significant cholesterol lowering effect.

As far as not having FDA approval for Phytomega itself is not at all surprising to me. Phytomega was introduced about 1 year ago. The FDA is not a fast entity to work with and it is my understanding that it can take up to 5 years to get through all the paperwork to get their evaluation. It would depend on if Melaleuca has submitted a request and then the long wait. A lot of companies do not ever request evaluation because they can back up their findings with other resource studies and the process of FDA evaluation is so tremendously costly that they don't bother with it. If a company knows their product works they may be more interested in keeping the price down to the consumer and just adding the statement to the label that it has not been evaluated by the FDA. This is why so many of the new prescription medications are as expensive as they are.

I will check, of course, with Melaleuca to see if they have submitted a request or not. I will be presenting your questions to them on Monday when Product Development is open and will post the answers when I get them

I do have a ton of information here, including studies that can be sited, I can even fax it to you if you like