Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Your Health > Your Health > Health - Alternative & Natural Approaches

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

UTI Supportive Measures

It seems that Urinary Tract Infections are common to women. There are many things to do to provide bladder support. Post your ideas here.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

In addition to the homeopath and I trying to find the correct resonancy (concentration) for the constitutive remedy we have been using for menopausal mood swings, she also prescribes some of the following for urinary/bladder irritations:

1) Drink 2 TBSP of Cider Vinegar and Honey in Warm Water AM and PM for next 7 days.

2) 1 glass (8 oz) of Water or Tea or 100% unsweetened Cranberry Juice every waking hour.

3) Parsley Tea: Bring 5 cups of water to boil. Remove from heat. Add handful of fresh parsley. Cover and steep 20 minutes. Drink throughout the day.

4) Vitamin C (1000 mg) every hour for first 5 hours.

5) Castor Oil and a heating pad. Castor Oil is like an old time liniment and can be found in the laxatives section. Use it EXTERNALLY as a rub on the skin and then apply your heat source. I found that a rice filled flannel bag gave greater comfort than a heating pad because of the weight of the bag on my lower pelvic area. The weight felt good to me.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Recently I had a urodynamics test for incontinence (oh yes women we know about this one don't we)

The intake form was 5 pages!

One of the questions on the intake form was whether I drank water after 7 PM.

Another question was if I drank more than 64 oz of water a day.

During the test they fill the bladder (odd sensation) through a catheter. They then watch how the different areas of the bladder and surrounding compartments respond (muscular signals). Very interesting to both feel and see the response on the computer screen.

Drinking water does help to flush out the bladder and prevent UTIs.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen I used to get bladder infections all the time.....especially with stress during my school years and then once married honeymoon cytosis especially when Mike would be gone for months at a time. I can not use any creams bubble baths etc or I will have one that night. We have made many trips to the hospital at 3am because I am in pain and peeing blood. I started taking cranberry pills about 5 years ago and I have not had a bladder infection since. I thought for sure when i met up with Mike last May in Florida I would get one and my doctor even advanced me a prescription since I was out of the country...but I never had to use it !!!

As for the incontinence part of my bladder the physio that I went to have electronic stimulation to work the muscles seems to have worked so i don't need to have a bladder lift yet.....which is fine with me as I dislike surgery and I have a really hard time waking from being put to sleep

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cranberry pills are new to me. Can you tell me more about them, where to get them, etc. I don't have uti's but do have incont.

My sister though is a big uti problem. She said that once she began to eat, sleep, drink etc right her bladder settled down although I noticed she still avoids hi acid foods.

The doctor had given one of my dds a pain reliever that works specifically to stop the cramping in the bladder, one of the causes of the pain. Can't remember the name of it though, it was an OTC? Oh here it is: phenazopyridine hcl. It worked well on her. It did not work when I had (fibroid) pain.

Last edited by ellenmelon; 01-29-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen I get them at my drugstore in the vitamin section although i am sure health food stores would carry them. It is just cranberry powder...I take in the morning with a glass of water...same as drinking cranberry juice but with a hiatus hernia the juice agrivates that so this helps and I take it every day. Like I said have not had one infection in 5 or so years!

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen that pill does stop the bladder from contracting but it does not ill the infection. I have those pills from my doctor so I would be able to wait till morning to see a doctor instead of those 3am runs to ER. It is so important to still have your urine tested as an ongoing infection can cause many problems later. those pills by the way stain your urine a coffee color.......it also can stain underpants just to let you know

Hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

yes, we know, they tried to put me on Cipro in lieu of stinky sulfa drugs, but then it turned out I didn't have a uti so I stopped. For the dd they warned us about the color, it was like a rust red! very dark! kind of weird!

What is in that stuff? Anyways it helped her get through the school day until the antibiotics kicked in. It made the first 24 hours almost bearable. Maybe only Ob Gyns know about it because my family doctor didn't recommend it when I was in there and in pain and said NSAIDS weren't working at all.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am allergic to the sulfa drugs so they usually give me macrobid . I have no idea what is in those pills but was shocked the first time I took them and saw the color!!! LOL My doctor here prescribes them but the health care is different in Canada

hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, I had a thorough conversation with the uro doctor this morning. He laid out all the treatment plans and gave me some options. I didn't know there were so many things that can be done. So advice to us all, don't suffer with leaking! It is unnecessary for most of us.

Non Surgical Options:

Kegels, biofeedback, and rate training (unfortunately won't work for me)

medication called Imipramane - an older antidepressant that also works to shut the urethra tighter (work in 3% of the cases?)

mechanical device, Pessary, a ring on the cervix to support the urethra so it is less wobbly and doesn't leak as bad

collagen injection - makes urethra puffy and bulky so it doesn't open as easily, needs to be repeated anywhere from weeks to months as it breaks down with activity, recommended for less active and elderly

Surgical:

Burch procedure - an abdominal incision is made at the bladder neck (between bladder and urethra) and 2 stitches put in to lift and tie behind the pubic bone to decrease urethral wobble. Done in the 60s with 20 year followup data. Success declines with years that pass but 70 -80% success dry, 10 - 15% mild leakages, and 10 - 15% doesn't work. In the last group it is because urethral pressures are below 20cc.

TVT tape - minimally invasive (through vagina and two small incisions above pubic bone), 20 minutes in and out same day outpatient surgery. New procedure that calls forth a new thinking of how stress incontinence works. Success is 90% cure, 5-10% imporve, 5% failure. No drop in success rate as years go on but procedure has only been on market (TVT was the first company to make the prolene tape) for 9 years so no 20 year data available. The best description is that it makes a sort of backboard against which the urethra bounces back and stays shut... gynecare.com is a website on it.

Other bladder problems like urge incontinence (overactive bladder, gotta go right now thing) is uncurable but treatable with medications.