Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Your Health > Your Health > Health - Alternative & Natural Approaches

Old 08-24-2005, 01:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How Does a Light Box Help S.A.D. ?

My wife is suffering from SAD. Doctor has suggested her to undergo light box therapy. Will any one tell me how this light box works? I will appreciate any information related to this.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re:How light box works?

The light box is quite effective in treatment of SAD and other seasonal disorders.

The light box provides a calculated amount of balanced light equivalent to light receive by sun in a clear spring day. The light ray helps in regulating the body clock.

Light entering our eyes send impulses to pineal gland situated in brain.This gland then secretes a chemical called serotonin and reduces the production of a chemical called melatonin. Melatonin is hormone which helps us to sleep on the other hand serotonin regulates our mood and energy. Thus light coming from light box rejuvenate our mind and cure SAD and other disorders.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would like to know, where do people (especially those not diagnosed with SAD) get a light box. Are there bulbs available anywhere, full spectrum I think they are called, that will have the same effect?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

One winter my husband accidently bought 4 full-spectrum florescent bulbs for our kitchen, he didn't have time to put the covers on and I got a full dose of bright light. I loved the extra light in my kitchen and asked him not to replace the frosted covers. It wasn't long before we noticed a huge difference in my winter blues and now I don't get them at all!

I'm slowly replacing all of the lights with the full spectrum bulbs, I'll never go back to regular light again!

We get our bulbs at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing

Last edited by lindaljh1; 08-26-2005 at 03:52 PM. Reason: forgot to sign it!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I guess the kitchen would be the best spot wouldn't it? Thanks for the input Linda & Kay. Do you know if they make the bulbs that are not flourescent. I'm assuming also that you are talking about long tubes & not the compact flourescent bulbs. I would probably have to replace or add a different light fixture in order to put one in my kitchen. Moyes, I kind of ignored your question. Sorry to just start in on my own questions. This is a topic I have been curious about, but never gotten enough info about it to put it into practice. I think I would not be actually diagnosed with full SAD, but I do get the winter blues. Kay did a good job of explaining. If it is as simple as getting the right kind of bulb, why do the Dr.s call it a light box?

Last edited by MKS; 08-26-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle S.a.d.

I just did a quick search on "light box" and came up with several choices, this is one. Has a place to get discription of the condition, articles to read, etc. Or you can try this one: http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/products.html

I have great sympathy! I have suffered for years with depression. My husband keeps moving me to houses with very little light, or small windows. We put in full glass french doors in the kitchen (72") sitting beside the older exit - a full glass door (like half a french door). As far I am concerned it is still not enough light. We are remoldeling out closed in carport and he did'nt want to cut out the metal corrigated side to enstall a window. There we went again with a 15 pane french door (double doors) - he wanted to put in a steel door between it and the laundry room. NOPE! another 15 pane door. We still have an exit out the back of the laundry room and I want that to have glass, too.

I think that the full spectrum lights might do the trick. He keeps saying flourescent and I keep saying as long as it has bright, white light. I guess my body knows what it needs.

I am goin' shoppin!!! http://www.familycorner.com/forums/i...s/biglaugh.gif
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

First, welcome to Family Corner Moyes and Kays!

Sorry, this is an area that I don't know information about. I sure wish I could help you.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That site had a lot of good information!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I hope this helps you out some. I have met many people that the Living Sunshine has helped and many insurance companies will cover it if it is prescribed by a doctor. I am a dealer with the company. Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD, is a very real medical condition caused by the lack of sunshine. This is a product that will help. In fact, it meets the necessary requirements to FILL a Medical Doctor's prescription for a SAD patient so that their insurance WILL cover the cost. I can direct you to more information if you wish. Just email me. Best of luck and my thoughts are with you and your family!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Linda, how do you tell it is a full spectrum bulb? I look at flourescent bulbs, just at Walmart & didn't see any that said full spectrum. Some said daylight or sunlight (or plant & aquarium bulb). Also, I looked the information up on Web MD & it said do not use full spectrum, ultraviolet, heat or tanning bulbs. It did not say why. I would have liked for it to say why.