Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-07-2003, 11:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Isio-immune Neonatal Thrombocytopenia

Hello.... I had two girls in the 80's who were diagnosed in the short-term with this condition. My first, in utero had complications which caused severe brain damage. At the time the hospital gave the information that it worked similiar to the Rheus? Negative Postive situation with mothers, but it involved Platelets (which help clot your blood) instead. Apparently I have what they said was a rare Platelet skin (though 1 in 20 people having this did not seem rare to me now) while my girls had their father's type. I am very interested in finding out more details about this, and any person that would be able to give me any input....would be very much appreciated.. Thanking you, Deborah
Old 02-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

go to:

www.webmd.com

and search for your topic or disease.
It's the most comprehensive medical site I have found.....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 02-16-2003, 02:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

about thrombocytopenia

Hi Deborah,
Your post about thrombocytopenia caught my eye because my daughter had (has) it. I am still a little confused about it.

In 1993 she was in labor with her first baby. She was failing to progress and so they decided to take the baby c-section. They did blood work before surgery and discovered her platelet count was about 30!!!! Incredibly low!!! The doctor pegged it as pregnancy-induced thrombocytopenia.

They RUSHED her to surgery and delivered her son. We learned that there was great danger to the baby. As it turned out, thank God, the baby was OK.

It took about a week for her platelet count to get back to normal range. Her recovery from the surgery was very difficult, but she seemed back to normal after a few weeks.

We had a hard time learning about the condition (this was all before any of us had computers). The scare caused my dd and sil to decide not to try for any more kids. Plus her records were misplaced when the doctor closed his practice so her new OB couldn't read up on what happened the first time.

Years went by and in 1998 their desire for another baby became apparent. My dd tried again to get the records; they were finally found! Her new OB felt that with constant monitoring they could deliver the baby early if necessary. So they went ahead. We will never know whether that was a reasonable risk. She was 27 yrs. old at this time.

Everything went amazingly well during the pregnancy. Her platelet count slowly, steadily dropped. Her insurance changed and she had to choose a new OB, so she got one that specialized in high-risk pregnancies.

He may have advised her to not even try for another baby, but she was already "commited" when she started with him. He watched for a platelet count that would dictate early delivery. She got to about 35 weeks with a count in the high 70's which is starting into the so-called danger zone. Her count kept falling so they scheduled delivery at 36 weeks.

The surgery went fine, baby (girl) was fine, everything seemed fine--till about 2 hours later. Then it was a dizzying whirl of reactions by nurses. She was bleeding internally and having trouble breathing. They whisked her back to surgery! We (the family) waited hours to find out anything.

I could write a book about that day. The bottom line is that the doc came out and asked my sil permission to do a hysterectomy! He said they almost lost her twice on the table. She was bleeding from everywhere and they couldn't get it to stop.

They did the hyst. and put two drain tubes in her groin to drain the blood so they could close her up. She was in intensive care 5 days and then back in OB for 4 more days. The baby had to go on home without her. She took 11 units of blood during that time.

They discharged her and arranged for a daily visiting nurse to manage the drain tubes, which stayed in another week. She was not back to "normal" until about a year later.

We are grateful to God to still have our daughter. We feel her OB saved her life. He said she was the talk of the town (in OB circles) for weeks afterward. We can do without that kind of popularity!

Thrombocytopenia is a very unpredictable condition. She did better with a platelet count of 30 than one of 70! Go figure. WE have even heard it is an auto-immune disease. Sorry this is so long--I got kind of carried away, but that was our experience. My dd is the only one I have ever known with the condition.

We were never told it had anything to do with blood types, but it could just the same. Come to think of it, my other daughter has the Rh problem but has received the necessary treatment with all her pregnancies. Something inherited? I don't know.

Anyway, God bless you and your family
Harmony
Old 02-16-2003, 08:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Harmony

HI there to you Harmony,
Thank you for your reply,
I'm glad to hear that everything did turn out so much better than it could have, a blessing.
Both my girls - had low platelets count - and so purpura - or little hemorrages on the skin. At the time it was suggested that I had platelets within - and there was a fight going on...but a factory inside me - was doubling the output to keep up with those that got downed....it wasn't explained fully - I wished I had have been able to ask more questions. But mine were going in also destroying my babies platelets, so it seemed like two scenerios going on. I appreciate your input, and hope to hear more.

Thanks again,
Deb - Brisbane, Australia
Old 02-17-2003, 04:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have ITP since the age of 16 now 45. I had my 1st child at 42 with no problems. Though it is not exactly what you described I know the following web sites will help you out or direct you to ones that will.
www.itppeople.com
www.medical.com (great website will search the websites for your medical condition)
www.drweil.com
www.about.com go to medical conditions and do a search.
Good luck to you and bless you.
Debbie