Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-23-2002, 04:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing Blood Drive Today... Not!

I wanted to get this out there. I am alittle upset and a lot embarrassed. I am 30, and have been donating blood since I was 17 about 2 times a year. Since I am O-, the universal blood, I felt it was something I should do as often as possible. I have a card, and they call me whenever there is a shortage, Which is now. I went yesterday to one at our club house, of course this has to happen in MY community blood drive.
I was denied! They do not want my blood any more! OH MY!
This came up when I was in the part when they ask all the questions like, Have you ever sold your body for drugs, Had sex with a man who has had sex with a man, and Had sex with a monkey from the West Indies between 1980 and 1990. In thoses questions was one, Have you ever lived in England for more than 3 months between 1980 and 1996. I actually said no before I realized that it was a Yes. Becuase of Mad Cow disease, they do not want me anymore. I lived there for a year in 1994. Well, I can assure you I was a little more than embarrassed.
Anyway, back in reality. They do still need blood. It is still something I believe in. Please try to donate if you can.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I can tell that you are really upset by what happened. Did they tell you whether or not you will ever be able to donate again? Im sorry, you have done something over the years to be very proud of.

I am O negative too. Up until 2 years ago, I used to donate every time the blood bank called. I started having trouble with my thyroid levels and hormone levels not staying level so this prevented me from donating any more. Depending on the meds. that I have to stay on, I might be able to donate again some day.

My DH is O positive and donates at work at least twice a year.

I feel that if you can donate, its something small that could make a big difference!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am now on a perminate list of people that can not donate until they come up with an effective screening process for Mad Cow.

I am upset, I feel "less than"
Old 09-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The blood screening process is more invovled now..hepatitis is more on the rise than the dreaded aids everyone thinks of. I know if you are a cancer survivor and had chemo...they do not want your blood and certain meds too. People with tatoos are not allowed to donate either...years ago they could because of all the men in the service and they were encouraged to donate blood, then they could get off duty for the day or earn a pass to get off base.

Alot of many diseases lay dormat in the blood and they are afraid of passing it on, especially since most of the people who depend on blood have problems with their immunity.

janet
Old 09-24-2002, 04:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tatoos do not diqualify you to donate in New York, New Jersey or Florida. I have donated in all these states and have 2 tatoos. They used to ask when you got them, but just looked over the paper work for this weekend and it isn't even on there now.
Misty
Old 09-24-2002, 07:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tatoos and piercings

Hi, in my area there is a waiting period of 1 year after you have a tattoo or piercing. I have been called twice this year at home to give blood. I have O+ and it can be used for anyone, so I donate as often as they need me. I hadn't heard of the Mad Cow reason. I will have to look for it this next time. I am sorry that you couldn't donate. We had a drive at work last year. A friend of mine was almost done and the needle came out of her arm. They wouldn't reinsert the needle and just threw her blood away. She was very upset because they made her feel like she had done something wrong. Maybe soon they will figure out the Mad Cow thing and you'll be able to donate again.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Gee, I would think all States would have the same criterions for donating blood. I am glad my State has higher standards for their screening process, and they do give you the option of banking your own.

janet
Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

dsh1225, Sorry your friend had a bad experience with donating blood, and having to throw it away. Everything has to remain sterile so if the needle popped out and touched her arm, chair, floor, they cannot reinsert it. Usually they secure the needle at the site with tape...so it stays put. It sounds like it was human error, not your friends fault. Maybe she can warn them ahead of time and they will use tape to secure the site.

janet
Old 09-26-2002, 12:05 PM

blood drive

in our area they require 1 year after for tattoos and body piercing and they also have that rule about foreign countries. I don't know how long you need to be "clean" if ever? We are having a drive next door to our company, truck drivers it's kind of funny watching these big, burly guys laying down giving blood but I am so grateful that they do. I am O negative too and like the Bellas Mom I feel compelled to give because it is so universally used. Perhaps you could help in other ways encouraging others to give-I know it's hard. Where I work, I'm only 1 of 3 people who will donate out of at one time 90 people. They just don't seem to realize that the life they may be saving is not just a stranger but could be their own or someone they love. Oh well, patience and persistance

Anna
Old 09-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Saving lives

I forgot to mention that the whole reason that I started giving blood in the first place was because of my stepmother and then my mother. My stepmother suffers from Crohn's disease. I have known her for 22 years and she has had major surgery at least a dozen times because of this disease. Every time she goes into the hospital, she uses anywhere from 10-13 pints of blood! I then realized that even though I could not do much about her disease, I could give blood to help her. Within the last few years, my mom, too, has used the same amount of blood in emergency situations. I don't think that people understand that we can only give once every 50 odd days and that the blood is only good for about a month. Seeing someone you care about, lying there helpless, knowing that you can't do anything at the time to help them, is miserable! I started giving blood for my family and if they don't need it, then for anyone else who can use it! I also think that it is a patriotic thing to do considering what our country has gone through!