Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-02-2002, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Feverfew

I was curious about all the mention of Feverfew so I went on-line to research it. I have included what I have learned about it here if anyone else is interested. ....

I noticed it has blood thinning properties....I wonder if it's safe to combine it with motrin, asprin or other blood thinners...

It also effects seretonin levels, so does it interact with anti-depressants?...I guess I'd be sure to ask the pharmacist.

Feverfew

Botanical name: Tanacetum parthenium

Feverfew grows widely across Europe and North America. The leaves are used in herbal medicine.

Feverfew has been used in connection with the following conditions

Migraine headaches

Historical or traditional use (may or may not be supported by scientific studies):

Feverfew was mentioned in Greek medical literature as a remedy for inflammation and for menstrual discomforts. Traditional herbalists in Great Britain used it to treat fevers, rheumatism, and other aches and pains.

Active constituents:

Feverfew contains a range of compounds known as sesquiterpene lactones. Over 85% of these are a compound called parthenolide. In test tube studies, parthenolide prevents excessive clumping of platelets and inhibits the release of certain chemicals, including serotonin and some inflammatory mediators.1 2 Feverfew’s parthenolide content was originally thought to account for the anti-migraine action of this herb, but this has been a matter of recent debate.

According to three double-blind trials with migraine patients, feverfew reduces the severity, duration, and frequency of migraine headaches. These successful studies employed dried, powdered leaves. One negative study used an alcohol extract suggesting the dried leaf preparation is superior.

How much is usually taken?

Feverfew leaf products with at least 0.2% parthenolide content are generally used. Standardized leaf extracts may contain up to 0.7% parthenolide. Herbal products in capsules or tablets providing at least 250 mcg of parthenolide per day may be taken. It may take four to six weeks before benefits are noticed. Feverfew is useful for decreasing the severity and incidence of migraines. However, it is not an effective treatment for an acute migraine attack.

Are there any side effects or interactions?

Taken as recommended, standardized feverfew causes minimal side effects. Minor side effects include gastrointestinal upset and nervousness. Chewing feverfew leaves has been reported to cause canker sores. Feverfew is not recommended during pregnancy or breast-feeding and should not be used by children under the age of two years.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with feverfew.

References:

1. Makheja AN, Bailey JM. A platelet phospholipase inhibitor from the medicinal herb feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium). Prostagland Leukotrienes Med 1982;8:653–60.

2. Heptinstall S, White A, Williamson L, Mitchell JR.. Extracts of feverfew inhibit granule secretion in blood platelets and polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Lancet 1985;1:1071–4.

3. Awang DVC. Parthenolide: The demise of a facile theory of feverfew activity. J Herbs Spices Medicinal Plants 1998;5:95–8.

4. Johnson ES, Kadam NP, Hylands DM, Hylands PJ. Efficacy of feverfew as prophylactic treatment of migraine. Br Med J 1985;291:569–73.

5. Murphy JJ, Heptinstall S, Mitchell JRA. Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of feverfew in migraine prevention. Lancet 1988;2:189–92.

6. Palevitch D, Earon G, Carasso R. Feverfew(Tanacetum parthenium) as a prophylactic treatment for migraine: A double-blind placebo-controlled study. Phytother Res 1997;11:508–11.

7. De Weerdt CJ, Bootsma HPR, Hendriks H. Herbal medicines in migraine prevention. Phytomed 1996;3:225–30.

8. Brown DJ. Herbal Prescriptions for Better Health. Rocklin, CA: Prima Publishing, 1996, 91–5.

9. Brown DJ. Herbal Prescriptions for Better Health. Rocklin, CA: Prima Publishing, 1996, 91–5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2002 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com

Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.

Learn more about the authors of Healthnotes.

The information presented in Healthnotes Online is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. For many of the conditions discussed, treatment with prescription or over-the-counter medication is also available. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2002.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Feverfew

Hi all,

I tried feverfew quite a few years ago, but unfortunately it never worked for me in lessening my migraines. I know that you need to take it for at least a month to let it get into your system to give it a chance to work. But I just wanted to give a word of caution about the GI side effects. In my case, I also have Irritable Bowel and it defintely DID aggravate my stomach, although I didn't really connect the two until a Dr. told me that was probably it. When I stopped the feverfew, my stomach settled down fairly quickly.

Alot of people though have had very good results with feverfew, so it may be worth a try. Also magnesium supplements have had good results. Again I highly recommend About.com click on the headache/migraine section and they have an abundance of helpful articles and links with outstanding information and help.

Woke up with a doozy this morning. I think it's the pine trees.Lately, sometimes Florida is a curse;-)

See ya'll.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Hi Migrainemama,
You have a good idea about Fla and migraines. I have them just about every morning I wake up. If I get out of bed sometimes at (3-4 am) and take two excedrin and plump up my pillows into a semi-sitting position with another pillow under my legs, and a cold pack on my head I can get rid of it by the time I have to get up for the day. I think the dampness and humidity have alot to do with Fla people and migraines too. I do take Imitrex for them but they are so expensive so I try to save them for the ones that just keep getting worse and are really bad.
God Bless
Babs
Old 10-25-2002, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

my migraines

Hi. One of my doctors prescribed Elavil to be taken at bedtime.

It didn't really work for me, but maybe other migraine sufferers might want to ask their dr. about it.

The only thing that seems to work for me, is that the nausea almost always comes before the pain really hits. If I catch it then, and take 4 Excedrin Migraine sometimes that works. Otherwise, I end up going to get the injection. Once, however, that didn't work either, so I went in for another. That didn't work, either, so I had to suffer with it. Took about an eternity from my standpoint. My hubby says it was only 2 days.

Just a little question for other fellow sufferers - Does your family understand? even Kinda? my exhusband slimeball didn't. My sweet husband does, in that he doesn't say I am faking or anything like my ex did.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ebowen, Yes, my family is good.

And May your Ex have AT LEAST one killer Migraine before he dies.

Amen

Val
Old 10-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lifestar, I love your respond to Ebowen about her ex...you are so wicked!!!! Only kidding!lol
I your style.

janet
Old 10-26-2002, 06:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

;-) You know me Janet, But it occurs to me Ebowen doesnt...

I an just kiddin' ..... sort of ....

Val