Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-03-2005, 09:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Question About Muscle Pains

Last year about this time we hooked up a swamp cooler and I felt the effects of
Sore muscles and cramping.

Well, we did just hook up the cooler and I am suffering muscle cramping in my neck, shoulders, legs, arms,and even my stomach. Now I dont know if this is pure coincidence or if there is a reason for it. Maybe someone would have a good idea and cure for it. We won't be able to turn the air off. Too warm in the house.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I would urge you to see your doctor about this.

Until you can get an appointment, try eating a banana every day and taking a calcium supplement. Warm weather can deplete both of these from your body causing muscle cramps.....but usually not stomach cramps.

By chance, are you drinking diet soda or anything sweetened with Equal (aspartame) since the warm weather moved in?? If so, your symptoms could be caused by that.

My DH can not drink/eat anything with Equal (aspartame) in it. After many years of eating/drinking products with Equal in it, he suddenly became very sensitive to it. It was building up in his body, literally poisoning him. Anytime he accidentally comsumes any Equal, he gets the same type symptoms you are describing.

Please see your doctor as soon as possible!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ok, what the heck is a swamp cooler??? I live in Florida. It's pretty hot, I might need one!!!! hehehe.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Swamp Coolers
(They are only sold in areas West of the Mississippi.)

A swamp cooler (more formally called an evaporative cooler) is essentially a large box-like frame containing a big fan and walled in by water-wetted pads, usually made of cedar shavings or cellulose. The fan whooshes the hot outside air through the dripping pads (which are continually soaked by a water pump), cooling the air by about 20 F as the air evaporates water molecules from the pads. The fan then blows the water-cooled air through the house and out a deliberate vent.
Wet the back of your hand -- then blow on it. Your skin surface feels cooler. That's evaporative cooling.

Folks differ on why it's called a swamp cooler. Some say because it makes the house feel like a muggy swamp-but that's only when the late summer rains come and the cooler is less efficient. On dry days-which is almost every day in a desert-a swamp cooler works fine. In high humidity areas, like Washington D.C., they don't work at all because the water does not evaporate appreciably and thus the air is not cooled.

Swamp coolers are popular in the southwest because they are relatively inexpensive, use a quarter as much electricity as a refrigerated unit, are easy to maintain by the average do-it-yourselfer, and add a comfortable level of humidity to the dry desert air. The smell of fresh cedar pads on the first hot days of summer is delightful.

Last edited by janet; 03-31-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Now that is interesting information!!! Couldn't use one in Florida with the super high humidity we have here. But thanks a bunch for filling me in!!!

katie
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The diet soda is a sneaky thing. I don't normally drink diet and about 18 years ago because there was nothing else available, I drank two cans. Boy, about 2 hours later I thought I was dying. The cramps were so bad and the pain was unbearable. To this day I will not touch anything with aspartame, nutra-sweet, or anything similar to that ingredient. It makes my stomach hurt. My son is sensitive to it also. You might want to try and eliminate it from your diet and see what happens. If you eat light yogurt, it is usually in there also. The leg cramps can also be caused by wearing flat shoes such as flip-flops, cheap tennis shoes, or even going barefoot. Mine always ache the first few times I wear flatter shoes for the summer.
Swamp coolers......miss those 112 degree days in Texas at Fort Bliss....first experience with swamp coolers!

Lizajane
Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza44
If you eat light yogurt, it is usually in there also.
If you read ingredient lists very carefully like I have had to do for DH's sake, you'd be surprised how many products it is in....even some of the ones with Splenda as the main sweetener will have Aspartame listed as one of the last ingredients....which means it doesn't have that much of it but it is STILL there!!

You sound like you react to it like my DH does. before we found out what was causing his symptoms, they were testing him for things like Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Lupus, and many other things. It was SCARY !!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My dad underwent testing for memory loss symptoms. Turned out to be related to artificial sweeteners. Once he stopped using them, the symptoms went away.

Another scary thought!!!

katie
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have a friend that drinks a lot of diet soda, and I gave her an article re: the effects of artificial sweeteners. Besides the above mentioned, it stated that it might actually increase your appetite due to the sweetness. I wish I had the ariticle now, it had a lot of really good points.

Lizajane
Old 07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Georgie -

Change your swamp cooler pads and water immediately! Sounds like there may be either a bacteria or a mold in there causing you some inflammatory problems. When you "fill the tank" put a tablespoon of Clorox (regular, not the scented kind) per cup of water in there. See if that helps. If not, then you will need to see a doctor. I suspect you may need to be on antibiotics or an antifungal.

Hope this helps some!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth (retired nurse)