Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question What's wrong with my nails?

Over the last couple of months my nails have been dry and the top layer seems to always be peeling back, I have always had long, strong nails, and this is driving me nuts [short trip I know]
I was wondering if I am low on a mineral or vitamin or something, or is there something wrong with my nails? I thought that maybe someone else had experienced this and could help.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Found this article and thought to post it for you. I personally heard of oil (stated int he last paragraph) and I have also heard if oyu eat gelatin, that will strenghthen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your diet may be lacking in Essential Fatty Acids, also known as the "cosmetic vitamins." EFA's are essential in controlling body oils that keep skin soft, smooth, and youthful. Lecithin, found in egg yolks and some other vegetables, enables the body to absorb essential fatty acids and is itself a rich source of EFA's. Vitamins A and E, along with zinc (a naturally occuring mineral), work together in many body functions, including skin development and maintenance.

Stress and environmental pollutants can contribute to dryness also. Your body requires B vitamins to function properly and will take these from nutrient stores in the hair, skin, and nails if it does not receive its daily requirements through food or supplement sources. The result is dry and brittle hair that breaks easily, as well as severely dry skin around your nails. Since B vitamins leave the body within eight hours, they need to be continually replenished; a combination of biotin, inositol, folic acid, and other substances are needed for vitamins to do their job effectively. Analyze your own diet, making sure you're getting proper nutrients, and then check with your physician and health food store expert about which supplement(s) to purchase, if necessary.

Your skin is most pliable after a bath or shower, so consider soaking your nails in hot oil after you bathe at least three times a week. Try a hot paraffin (wax) treatment; it not only is soothing, but when you remove the cooled wax from your hands, you also remove dead skin, leaving behind satiny skin.

I was surprised to learn last week that many dermatologists recommend rubbing vegetable oil (such as Crisco) into your skin rather than Vaseline, as it is more easily absorbed. "Seal" the vegetable oil with Vaseline, and put the gloves back on. Much work and not pleasant, I'll admit, but this should help you. One last tip: before you apply nail enamel, cover your nails with a ridge-filling base coat.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

THanks for the info Shawn.
I have been on low carb diet so you can imagine how many eggs I eat, and I take multi vitimans with extra B's. I'm going to try the oil, and really be more aggressive with lotion.
I'm wondering if it is some kind of fungus, but their not discolored or strang looking in any way, just really dry and peeling.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Nessie

Re: What's wrong with my nails?

Quote:
Originally posted by graceygrammy
Over the last couple of months my nails have been dry and the top layer seems to always be peeling back,
HI! Since it has been about 2 1/2 months since you posted this, I was wondering if your nails are better or if you are still having a problem. Shawn posted some really good tips, I am hoping they helped you! Myself and a lot of ladies that I converse with are using "Solar Oil" by "Creative Nail Design", it really moisturizes your nails and cuticles.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Nessie, thanks for asking. My nails are doing allot better. I started taking a stronger multivitamin and have kept lotion on my hands several times a day, paying special attention to my nails. I also got a buffer that really helps when they look like they might be starting to peel. I also got Sally Hanson Triple hardener and it has made them allot stronger, so I think it is all put together.

Where did you buy "Solar Oil" by "Creative Nail Design"?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Nessie

I am glad to hear that your nails are better. I don't try to grow mine out very long, just even with or barely beyond the fingertips. I'm very rough on my nails, so I just try to have a clean manicured look.
I bought my "Solar Oil" at "Sally's Beauty Suppy", there is one not far from me. They also have a website. You might want to try going to the transdesign.com site also, their prices are great. I hope I am allowed to tell you that on this board, without causing problems for myself!
I believe that vitamins and a proper diet along with plenty of water are the key to good nails.