Need advise for Swimmers Hair! Help! - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-12-2002, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Need advise for Swimmers Hair! Help!

Help! My 9 year old daughter has long, fine, blonde hair that has been vertually ruined by chlorine! As soon as she would get into the pool her hair would actually turn stiff and sort of clumpted together. I've been using Logics remoisturizing shampoo but her hair still isn't close to the silky smooth it used to be. It tangles constantly now and has to be kept in a braid or I spend 45 min to and hour just brushing the knots out. Can anyone help?!?
Old 09-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply go there and ask them for a shampoo for pool hair. This is where I would buy my shampoos when our hair started turning green a few summers ago. Thankfully this year I haven't had to buy a drop! If you don't have a Sally's then ask your beautician for her recommendation.

I do know you should wash your hair AS SOON after leaving the pool as possible.

Also here is a link for swimmers shampoo. Hope this helps!

http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Produc...r=078522001607

Finally, here is a quote that I found on how to treat the problem:
Chlorine in swimming pools bleaches the hair, but it is the copper present in the water source that can make hair turn green. Wearing a bathing cap while swimming can prevent this type of damage.

"To treat green hair, apply 2-3 percent hydrogen peroxide to the hair for 30 minutes," said Dr. Ida Orengo, an associate professor of dermatology. "This concentration will neutralize the green but won't bleach the hair," she said.

Good luck!
Jayne
AKA

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Betty, I have used swimmers shampoo, I found it at Walmart. If its not in the regular shampoo section, look in the section with the makeup(health &beauty).

I tried the peroxide and it changed my color of hair, it made it reddish. My hair is a dirty blonde color.

I found the swimmers shampoo was best and make sure you use a conditioner for damaged hair till the hair gets back to normal.

You can also stop by a salon, I found J.C. Penney's the most helpful and their advice is free.

janet
Old 09-15-2002, 05:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of this stuff but you can probably get it at a beauty supply store. If not it is definatly worth the extra money at a salon. It is a little package of crystals. You mix it with water and if makes a gel. Put it on the hair and apply heat to it (with a blowdryer or dryer at a salon if you have one of those types at home). It strips the chlorine out of your hair and It makes a huge difference.
I would also get a good deep conditioner and use that 2 to 3 times a week leave it on as long as possible (sleep in it if you can). Another thought is clairifying shampoo. I dont know specificly if it works on chlorine but it cant help.

And this does not help you now but next year have your daughter wet her hair down before she gets in the pool with regular water. If need be she can carry a spray water bottle with her. Idea being if the hair is already full of water it won't soak up the clorinated water. This may not help completely but it will help.

If you have anymore questions just ask. I am a hairdresser and I have not worked it for a while and I kinda miss it so this is good
Old 09-15-2002, 06:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Betty.

I am a licensed Hairstylist/ nail tech and when we have someone that comes into our salon with swimmers hair we recommend a product called Hair Cleansing Creme. It's by REDKEN. If her hair is that bad I would probably use it everyday for a while and even leave it in the hair after sudsing it up while she takes the rest of her shower for it to do the most benefit. THat should help. Or just ask your hairstylist the next time you see them. Just using a regular moisturizing shampoo won't work or do any good until you get that chlorine buildup off her hair. Logics is an excellent product to use after the buildup is off. It might take a while but stick to it and I think you'll be happy with the result or the Cleansing Creme by REDKEN.

Good luck.;-)

Stacy
Old 09-15-2002, 02:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

swimmers hair

with my 3 children's dark brown hair I don't have that problem but I still use a shampoo i found in the health food store made for swimmers . try that out.ida
Old 09-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My dd swims year round for swim team. We use L'oreals swim shampoo and also ultra swim shampoo and conditioner. My dd also has had very long but very thick brown hair. It knotted like crazy. I finally had to lay down the law that she had to wear it in a french braid to keep it from tangling so bad. I also insisted that it be washed, conditioned and dried as soon as she was out of the pool. This worked wonders (she had horse's tail hair before we did all of this). Now she has short hair. No more braids but the shampoo and conditioner remain the same. There are also some very good aveda products that might help. I never had much luck with paul mitchell or biolage. Talking to your salonist was a good idea. They might recommend only what they carry however.

Good Luck!

dinsky

Old 09-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! Thanks for all your great ideas! Sunflower, I've heard several people agree with you about getting the hair wet with clean water before going into the pool. I'll sure remember that for next summer. Thanks!
Stacy, I'm going to get the Hair Cleansing Cream from Redken as soon as I can. I might be able to order it through a web site. Anyway, I'm still using Logics for now with not much change. It only helps while the hair is wet in the tub but once it's dry, it becomes hard to comb and just isn't shiny. There hasn't been any change in color though. Just dull.
I would love to cut all this long hair off and be done with it but there is one problem. My daughter had already agreed before summer that she was growing her hair to give it away to a cancer center. We have two more inches to go and I'm trying everything possible to get this hair back to normal so that another child doesn't have the same problem. It was also the only way she would agree to get her hair cut in the first place!
Thanks to everyone! If one idea doesn't work, I'll be trying everyones ideas!