Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wow! I am impressed! $10.00 for $100.00 worth of groceries! How wonderful! I have a friend in Indiana that shops and gets fantastic deals with coupons, ads, etc. We never get coupons in this part of the country, once in awhile with the weekend paper, but then it is for products I do not use.

janet
Old 08-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What part of Michigan are you in?

Hi Janet,

I am in Southeastern Michigan and we get coupons in our newspapers. Where are you at? I didn't know that part of Michigan doesn't have coupons.

Yes my mom has had years of practice in this area. She has got it down pat! I have to give her credit. She has the patience for it. I do use coupons at times but I am not a die hard like she is.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I live in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, Houghton County. We only started to get a few coupons on the saturday paper since Econo foods came to town...most of our stores will NOT take internet coupons either...its like okay...get with the new century already! lol

I think??? I have chatted with your Mom(autumnmum) and Grandmother(Blondie) online...nice ladies both of them and they keep these boards laughing.

janet
Old 08-10-2002, 12:00 PM

I am always looking for ways to save $$$$ . With 2 in college this year and 2 teenage boys still at home I need to watch what we spend.

Can anyone give me a weeks menu and what they spent at the grocery stores. Tomorrow is Sunday and I will see if I can do a good job shopping this week.
Teresa
Old 08-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet

Yes I am a member of that family as well. I have always known that my grandmother had a sense of humor. She always reminded me of Betty White when I was little. I think that she looks like her too. I have just found that my mother has a sense of humor upon reading some of her posts. I think being a single parent with 3 kids in the '70's stressed her out too much to have much of a sense of humor then. I am very grateful that she has found a "home" and a second "family" with which to unleash her sense of humor.

Glad to meet you and I am sure that we will chat again. Sorry that the coupons are so scarce up in the U.P.!

Old 08-11-2002, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

[email protected]....I am doing my shopping today also. I have not planned my menu yet but I will post after I do. I usually go through the sale papers first and then make my menu from that and whats already available in my pantry and freezer. If its a "lean money week" I try to plan from the freezer and pantry first and then just fill in with whats on sale. I plan to spend about $50.00 today for my family of 4 which includes 2 teenage boys. Please keep in mind we don't do a lot of sit down dinners here. I work day shift and dh works nights, so a lot of time I just fix something in the morning in the crock pot and everyone eats at different times (with dh taking his to work with him)!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi, Ladies!

I'm sooo glad I found this board! Lol We have a family of 4 which includes 4 males!! Of course, 2 of them are under 10 but they still eat!! lol I've been trying to cut our grocery bill and my goal was to try to see if I could do it for $65/week. Well, dh got paid last week so I made out my menus and my lists, checked all the local grocery ads, wrote those down then went to Big Lots, Dollar General and Family Dollar. Bought what I could there then made a trip on Sat to Aldis in another town. WOOOHOOO!!! I did it!!!! My total for 2 weeks including menus for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks was $128.90!!!!! Never b4 have I spent sooo little plus I know exactly what we're having each day~no more running around trying to figure out what to cook!!!! Big Lots, Dollar General and Family Dollar have quite a few items that even Aldis doesn't beat. Ok, that's my pat on the back for the week! Lol

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 10-02-2002, 09:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

OOOPSSSS!! I made a typo in my previous post! LOL Should have read our family of 4 includes 3 males not 4!!!! I think it's time for me to go to bed!!! LOL Nite all!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 10-03-2002, 04:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~*~Stacia~*~......way to go girl!

Thats just great ! Doesn't it make you feel good to accomplish that? I know I have been slacking off lately and not planning ahead and I can really feel it in the wallet! This is payday week so I am planning menus and I am going to try to stick to my game plan. It's so hard around here though because my hours are so long and Dh is on a different shift. I think I will do a cooking day this weekend and stock the freezer up with some meals to help take the strain off of me the next couple of weeks.
My kids are out of school all next week too so they will probably eat me out of house and home!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I found a totally awesome sale today at Winn Dixie and stocked up on some great buys. I was planning to do a mini oamc cooking session this weekend and this sale made it even easier.
Heres what I bought today:

Buy One Get One Free:

Eggo Waffles
Green Giant Frozen mixed vegetables
Green Giant Frozen Niblet corn
Tennessee Pride 1 lb Sausage
Bryan Meat Bologna
O/M Pepperoni
Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage
Beef Bottom Round Steak
Beef Cubed Steak
Smoked Ham Steak
Winn Dixie Quick Oats
Motts Apple Juice
Fresh Express Garden Salad

Buy One Get Two Free:

Smithfield Bacon 1 lb
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Ronco Elbow Macaroni
Viva Paper Towels
Aussie Shampoo

I also got

White Grapes .99 lb
Braeburn Apples .99 lb
Cooked Salad Shrimp 2 for 5.00
Hunts Spaghetti Sauce .79
Fresh Brocolli 2 for 1.50

I spent a total of $93.52 with a savings of $83.89!!

I'm sure this is not much to some of you, but if you take into consideration that I have enough food now to last at least 3 weeks (not counting whats already in my freezer and pantry) and I figure I will not have to buy anything, but fresh bread, milk and possibly fresh vegetables before the month is over.

I cooked one package of the cubed steaks tonight and got 2 meals out of it.

I also cooked all the boneless chicken breasts and diced them up and put them into 6 freezer containers for stir frys and salads.

Tomorrow I will cook the ground beef I have in the freezer to make spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes and burritos.

I also plan to make a couple batches of Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets before the weekend is over.