Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-08-2002, 07:46 PM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Renee

Thank you for letting me know ... it sounds a lot like Liquidation World ( well DH said that ) that we have here. They have some real good bargains in LW and from what you have told me it is the same

Thank you again Renee for clearing that up for me

Sue
Old 06-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

To help our budget, I tend to bake alot. Our teen boys sure like to eat. I also shop At "Sam's Club" which helps on the bulk items, and I always buy ahead. I tend to have a big pantry to pull from. Another thing I do when I get a chance is cook double or triple batches and stick the extra in the freezer too. It all helps!!

HSma
Old 06-13-2002, 05:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you ladys for reminding me about big Lots. I have one 5 min. away and never think to go in there. I am now!!!

I am learning this grocery thing also. I stay around $250.00 a month for a family of 4.

Remember to spend like an extra $10 for stocking up on sale items.

I think once I started to buy in bulk I felt like I was spending so much, but then it last forever and you don't run to the store so much.

I am lucky to have a sav-a-lot and Aldis. This helps so much!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking

Hello,
I am new here and currently living in the UK. Originally, from Georgia. We don't have Sam's here but, we do have Costco. However, your company must be a member for you to join. Wah.!! I love hearing how you all save money.
S~Mac
Old 07-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: kimmyo's posy from 3/13

I *really* don't want to sound dumb BUT.......................

What exactly is a "Loss Leader" (refer to # 3 on your list).
Old 07-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Loss Leaders are those big sale items usually found on the front and back of the sale papers. Stores take a loss on these items (hence loss leaders) in order to get you in the store in hopes you will spend more money on other things! For example last week my store ran the following ad:

Ground Chuck $1.19 lb
Heinz Kethcup 24 oz. .99
Lays Potato Chips .69
oscar Meyer Weiners .96

Those are what we call loss leaders. If you stock up on items when they are a loss leader you usually get the best price. In this case I bought 10 lbs of ground chuck because I know that 1.19 is a great price here. I also bought 5 packs of weiners for the freezer because they are usually 2.99 or more! I bought 1 ketchup to put in my pantry, didn't need it but we use a lot of ketchup so better to buy now. I bought the chips as a treat because they were on sale and I never pay full price for junk!

Hope this helps. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

kimmyo

THANK YOU so much for clearing that up for me.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW

I didnt know that either Kimmyo Thank you for telling us that now i will defiantly pay more attention to the front and back of store flyers

Does anyone do their grocery shopping over serveral different stores to get the best deals or is it a waste of time/gas/enegry to do your grocery shopping that way ??

Sue
Old 07-05-2002, 07:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

craftymom....I live in a small town and we have 3 stores all within a few miles of each other. I shop loss leaders at all 3 stores. I work in another town and I shop loss leaders there as well. Since I don't ever feel like I am going out of my way I don't see it as a waste of time or gas. Hope this helps!
Old 07-05-2002, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I also live in a small town with 3 stores within a few miles of each other.....but two are locally owned by the same family.

I am going to give this "loss leader" thing a try and see how much impact it has on my food budget. I am hoping it has a HUGE impact but then I don't want to get my hopes up too high!

Again, kimmyo, thanks for the tip!!!!