Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grocery Shopping.......you or him?

Do you do the grocery shopping or your husband......with or without your children?

I definitely do the shopping! If I were to send Mark, even with a list, we would blow the budget every month!! He would come home with Doritos, icecream, cookies, soda.........etc...etc.......
Not that I don't buy snacks but I buy it in moderation to stay within the budget!
There are only 2 of us and he will buy enough for a family of ten!!!!
I do sneak myself a jelly donut or maple bar and eat it in the car before I drive home!!!

peace,train
Old 12-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do the grocery shopping, sometimes bring DH or one of my (adult) sons along to assist me because I'm disabled. DH only gets what's on our list, never asks for snack stuff. DH does gripe about the prices though, he compares the prices now to what they were back in the 1960's---when he was married to wife #1. I just tune him out, lol! Only way to stay sane after 31 yrs of marriage! momperson
Old 12-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member

Food Shopping

My Dh loves to do the shopping and I let him. He is an early riser. By eight he is out the door before the crowds get there. He knows his prices and whats on sale. Since we are retired keeps his mind alert. I get the job of wrapping them in freezer bags and putting away. While he is shopping I do get alot done around the house so don't mind. Lately he has been trying different fish which is a change from meats. He even bought a whole fresh turkey that I cut up for different meals. I ground the turkey breast and made meat balls. Could not believe the difference from store bought ground turkey.
He does by alot of fresh vegetables and fruits which is good since we are Diabetics. Glad my Dh shops gives us more time together.
_________
Sueanne
Old 12-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Basically, I do the grocery shopping in this house. When DH is home, he will go with me......unless LSU or the Saints are playing.

Usually, the two DS have to tag along. (unless DD is home and keeps an eye on them) They are not old enough to stay home alone while we do the shopping. They are ages 11 (12 in January) and 9.

I do, at times, ask DH to stop on his way home from work to pick up something like bread, milk...etc. He is pretty good about only getting what he is asked to pick up and nothing else.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do all of the shopping. I try not to take my kids because I have three boys ages are 2-7. It is not that they aren't good. I have taken them on a small shopping trip and they were very good. I shop for 4 houses every month. My house, my mom's, and my 2 brothers. I know every sale and use lots of coupons. The first time I asked my DH to go shopping I was pregnant with our first son. I gave him $100 to get enough food for 2 weeks; at the time it was only me and him. He came home with 4 bags of groceries and those were the small ones they have now. LOL I never let him go again. He did go with me a few times but when I caught some snacks committing suicide into our cart I put a stop to that too. LOL! Now he hates to go with me. All of my family hates to help. They say I take inventory of the store instead of just buying what I have on my list. That is true only cause I want to know what I am able to get next month.
Since I have to take cabs to 3 different stores I can only go 1 time a month. I get 2-3 shopping carts filled with food in each store. I have a shopping list that I make sure I add up before I head out. The funny thing is, is that I get my shopping list food plus extras and I still come out with a lot of money left over LOL!
I pay for everyone's food except my mom gives me about 100 dollars toward the food. I do not mind cause what would I do with $500 a month? We do not eat that much!!!!
Anyway no one goes with me unless I know we can all fit in the cab. One time I went and the cab driver asked if I had anyone here to help me. I said no cause where would I put them? At that time I had the trunk and the backseat completely full. I had to sit int he front LOL!!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't remember the last time my husband stepped foot inside a grocery store. I do it all the time by myself. I leave the kids at home because all they ever do is BEG BEG BEG...then I can't think of what I need. LOL
I keep an ongoing list at home of what we run out of, what I need to get next time...so it's much easier when I go to the store...just look at my list.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:12 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do all our grocery shopping. Since I am a SAHM I go to about 4 stores in one day. I shop 2 times a month except for milk and breads. I try to never take my kids! I like the quiet time and I don't get tempted to buy things for them. DH does ot do the shopping. Last time I sent him to the store with a list of fruit for fruit salad (with the warning to only get it if the price was good) he spent 35.00 on fruit !!!!!!! Even last summer when I hurt my back and could not walk for 2 1/2 months, I had my sister do our shopping. She had to buy a lot of packaged food for him to microwave but it was better than sending him shopping!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi trainlady
We meet again!!
On Saturdays, my DH and I go to Meijer, a grocery and department store and while I shop, he is walking around the store several times for exercise. Love it because I can take my time and look at things.

On Tuesdays, we visit another store and not only is my DH along but our 3 year old granddaughter is along too. She loves the little cart to drive around besides us. Sometimes my DH is with us and sometimes he is looking at other stuff . If we happen to forget something or need to go back for something, my beloved DH goes. He is a good shopper and a good cook too!
Petunia
Old 12-17-2003, 07:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

grocery shopping

my husband and i grocery shop together every time, and it doesnt matter if the kids go with us or not we get it done either way. we even sit down and make out the grocery list together. we do everything together. we both make the decision not just one of us. ITS GREAT.

patt
misticrains1
Old 12-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WE Do the shopping together Myself and nini26.

We try to make it an outing, However if nini is sick I will go do the shopping alone.....