Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-17-2002, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grocery Budget

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there are any members out there from Canada who'd want to compare notes on Canadian grocery stores. All the good tips about Aldi's and Wal-Mart grocery shopping don't help me much, and of course the lovely exchange rate thing is confusing.

I never seem to be able to get my grocery spending lower than $600 CDN/month on groceries, and I do ALL my shopping using the "Loss Leaders" (Safeway/IGA), at Costco (within reason, because their prices aren't necessarily cheaper), and at bulk/discount stores. Mind you, I have 2-yr-old twins and a baby in (generic) diapers, and I lump all of my laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc into the grocery budget.

What I'm really looking for is a line on where to get real butter for cheap. I use butter for almost everything for health reasons. At Extra Foods I can get (limit 1) butter for $1.98/lb, and that's the best price I've been able to find in a long time.

Here's hoping.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there!

I live in Ontario. I feel the same way. Some of the stores talked about are nowhere near me or don't exist around here. I also shop loss leaders at IGA, Zehrs and Knechtels (do you have these?) There is a store about 25 minutes from where we live called Food Basics and it has REALLY good prices. You have to bag or box your own groceries. I have really good luck there. I also find I had to plan my menu for a few weeks before I went shopping or else I would go way over budget!!

Butter, $1.98, great deal, I've never got it that cheap! The lowest price I have found is at a local dairy that sells milk, cheese, butter etc. They sell for $2.65/lb.

Heather
Old 03-05-2002, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi kljonsson,

I really know what you mean! I live in Calgary, and I know that the prices are really high here. I do quite alot of shopping at the Northland Walmart. They have a grocery section that is larger than the other stores in Calgary. You can't really buy everything there though, they don't have produce or fresh meat.

My grocery budget is about $600 too. I buy all cleaning supplies, etc. from my that money as well. We have a 20 year old bottomless pit living with us(aka-DS!) so it seems like I am always running out of food. We also have a 17 year old DD.

I try not to buy too many prepackaged items. I make my own cookies, cakes, etc. I find this helps with the budget. I shop at Safeway, Superstore and Co-op most of the time. I buy the best deals at each store and I find that saves me between $30 and $40 a week.

I know this isn't very helpful, but I thought it would be good to know that you are not the only one having trouble keeping your grocery budget down. I think, I have finally accepted that I am not going to find the deals that the American ladies find. I will not be buying 39 cent per pound chicken any time soon!

I think you are doing very well! I can't find butter for $1.98! The best I can do is usually $2. 25!

Jenna
Old 03-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have 2 stores here to choose from Sobey's or the superstore, 3 if you include Costco's but I find them way too expensive and just stay away from there, although the ham is good there.
I find sobey's is the best for meats, superstore for just about everything else. Fish I try to get right from the fisheries/boats, get the best deal that way, but you have to buy in large amounts. In the summer I usually try to stay away from the grocery stores all together and just go to the farmers markets and fairs.
Sounds strange but check out the corner stores on butter prices, the one at the end of the street sells it for $1.89/lbs which I thought was ok
Old 06-19-2002, 11:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have to agree with all of you on the subject of American grocery shopping and that is that it is totally unfair:mad: Chicken for 39 cents a pound

It is easy to get discouraged when you hear about double coupons, etc. I just do the best I can with the loss leaders and sale items. A few years back my DH and I bought half a beef and we got steaks, roasts,hamburger for about 1.98 LB-I thought this was a great deal as the roasts and steaks were the very best cuts, plus i got lots of stew meat and round steak for the slow-cooker

I hear there is a Food section being added on to the Lethbridge, Ab Wal-Mart and its suppose to be really great.

Hope the info on the bulk beef helps someone