Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Anyone interested in really saving money on grocery shopping----get in touch with autumnmum. She is a smart little cookie, and I should know.--I'm her mother. She can get over $200.00 worth of groceries for around $20.00-$30.00 with her coupons, and smart shopping. She does this on a consistent basis, and if you could see her "supplies", you would think she was starting a store of her own! We laugh about it all the time. Her pantry is bulging. You name it--she's got it! She started the coupon-swapping thread on this site, and you could get some tips from her.

When she lived at home I always had $30.00 a week for groceries, and I stuck to it--for six of us. We had EVERYthing-all kinds of meats, cheeses, cereals, and lots of other things,including laundry soap, paper toweling, bath tissue, shampoo. Name it, and we had it. I did not buy pop, candy, or potato chips. We did have ice cream and popcorn. We used 28 quarts of milk a week. Cereals then cost .19 cents a box, and more expensive was .25. Sugar was >49 cents for 5 lbs. Apples were .49 cents for a 5-lb. bag. Campbll's tomato soup was .10 cents a can. There always were apples, and oranges. I realize income then didn't begin to approach what it does now, but we had a nice house that was new, and the cost of a 3-bedroom face brick
house with a full basement was $14,100. The payments were $81.00 a month, that later were raised by the bank to $86.00 I sewed clothes for the kids, too. On a trip to Texas in 1961 to visit my
cousin, I found material for shirts for the two yonger boys, and paid $7.00 for enough material that made up 21 short-sleeved shirts for them. I made pajamas for all three boys, the oldest of whom was such a bed-wetter, he rotted out the bottoms. I was forever making new bottoms for him alone.

I would hate to be raising kids with today's prices, and am happy to be through.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chuckle Here I R....

Yes, tis I ~ the coupon~nut! First off, would like to extend an invitation to all, to check into my newly founded club [email protected] If anyone is interested and would like information concerning the club...just drop me a line. (my pleasure)

Yes, I "live" coupons and have other ways to save, .... One is that I'm constantly checking for out~dated products ~ ~ ~ mainly at the meat counter. That's where you get more for your looking time effort. I have to laugh at the last time I did this... just last week. It's gotten to the point of the store staff and manager, knowing me by sight alone. The meat dept. manager knows me by name now, and the one former meat counter worker has been placed in another store. Her last words to me, before she found out she was being moved were, "Please don't do this to me." At the time I really didn't know what she meant by that remark, but I then told her that by me doing this, I could get the "free" meat for my consumption, whereas if I didn't I couldn't afford to buy it outright. She was relocated to another "sister" store and did not loose her job......so I don't have regrets.
The "laughable" last time...LOL...I had so much out~dated meat, poultry, and fish items, that I had to get a second cart to "load"! People were staring at me, thinking that I was going to purchase all of that. Usually I just find one item of meat ~out~dated~ and get the replacement for that alone. Back in the beginning, there was no limit on the "fresh~date" items, now there is. The revised is that one person, per day, can get either a $5.00/or/replacement of same value, up to the $5.00 limit.
So, even with it lowered to that, it's worth it to me.

Back to my story...I preceeded to take the two carts up to the service counter, where they look at me and know why I'm there ..LOL..but this time a bit confused to see two carts. I told the one girl , pointing to "my" cart, that I had my choice of exchange in that cart, but the other cart was filled with 'OUT~DATED' meats,etc. Her mouth dropped, and was a bit taken back. After a long wait, she picked up her phone and called the manager. He came, things were explained, he called for those dept. managers, and the ball rolled. I don't mean to get people in trouble, I just like my "freebies!" The manager is more than happy with what I did, because for each of those pkgs. in that cart, someone could have picked them up and gotten the $5.00 each! I did some "savings" for him also!!

So, there are other ways to save, not only coupons. I must say, tho, that I don't have a time table whenever I go shopping. One can't if they expect to do a "killing". I don't have children to bring along either. Those days are long~gone. I do the comparison shopping and sometimes find the store brand to be cheaper. I actually do the stock piling at this stage, where one can really make out. I only have to buy things like, milk or bread when needed. So, I have it much easier than others ~ although the very beginning was a bit hard... but the outcome is so worth it. I almost always go to our year round produce market..... love them veggies and fruits!!

Guess I've really gotten on top of my soapbox this time... sorry Any talk of my coupon management would probably require an entire site, so will sign off for now. Happy Couponing!!
TTFN ~ ~ ~

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

See? --I told you! She's a wizard when it comes to this sort of thing.--I've even known her to get the milk and bread free! !!

It's a game to her,-another "hobby".

Good-going, Pupchen!

Old 08-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Blondie and autumnmum - you guys are great! Keep the tips coming!!
Old 08-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

momof4,

I talked with her on the phone last night, and urged her to write about her "hobby". When she told me about all this meat and fish in the second cart, I laughed until my sides hurt. When she fnishes at the cashier's counter, she ends up with a receipt three feet long, and that's no exaggeration. She began to save them for awhile, and I told her she should hang them on a wall. Of course, it helps to be able to go alone so she can take all the time she wants. When I have gone with her we set a time to meet at the front of the store, and there is no need to tell you who takes the longest. I keep going to find her, and she may have only gone through half of the store by then.--She was even cutting out coupons while we were on the phone.--Not a minute wasted when it comes to coupons.

Old 08-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm a believer!

Our grocery stores place meat items on sale when they get close to their expiration dates. One time, I got 5 pounds of ground round for .99 !! Haven't seen that again though! I finally decided to do what everyone says: make a meal plan, a list, then shop with that list. I was AMAZED at the money I saved. I checked to see what I already had (mostly meats) then planned around that. I stayed very much under my food budget! I usually don't make meal plans because it seemed so overwhelming. But when I finally sat down and did it, it wasn't so bad and didn't take all that long!

Now....if I can just put some of these other things into practice! I need to get a handle on this because I just found out I'm pregnant! I better get some of those coupon suggestions down, too!

autumnmum - how does your coupon club work?

Thanks for all for your suggestions!

Angela
Old 08-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Autumnmom, Yes, how does your coupon club work?

janet
Old 08-15-2002, 05:42 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chuckle "Coupon~Aholic's" Swap Club ~ 2002 / info...

Hello Momof4, soon to be Momof5! and Hi there Janet!! It's been awhile since we last yakked together....

I'm glad that you are inquiring about the coupons. I just love helping in any way. We now have a total of 60 members. I began the wheels rolling on July 24th., with a trial run consisting of a handful of members. This is all new to me, and I wanted to make sure of certain things. I know from 'talk', that the way I am doing this, is entirely different from the way that others are done. I feel that the members will get more out of it by doing it my way. The other way is extremely slow snail/mail wise and you don't get as many coupons.

First...you would send to me ALL your unwanted coupons (I use these as my base, from which I inturn send to members that request them.) I had initially asked for a SASE with these, but now have changed to each sending 2 / .37 stamps. I always take the mail~outs to the Wayne P.O.
You would email to me your mailing address, plus your want/wish list of coupons. Upon my receiving your unwanted coupons, plus the 2 .37 stamps, I would inturn send out your wanted coupons, that are available in the base.

If you still have interest, email me with your info. and I will email to you my mailing address, so you can send your 1st. unwanteds.

Thanx for asking...

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]