Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-12-2002, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My *price book* consists of prices at Sam's Club and BJ's Warehouse Club. We don't have any double coupon stores here and our loss leaders have been pretty pathetic since last September. I just made a list of all the items I purchase and listed the price per ounce or price per pound that they cost respectively at Sam's and BJ's (I know from years of frugal shopping that I can get my best buys there if the particular item is not a loss leader at the grocery stores). Whenever I sit down to make my list of loss leaders each week from the grocery store fliers I figure out the price per ounce or pound and compare it to the prices at Sam's and BJ's. If it comes out cheaper than either of those places, then I purchase it from the grocery store. If not, then I am better off buying it at a warehouse club.

I am totally envious of people who have double and even triple coupon stores. You guys are able to get groceries and household supplies for practically nothing! *sigh*
Old 08-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Smiley,
I would love to hear how you can spend so little on your groceries!! I am a stay-at-home mom with a 21 month old and another on the way, my dh is out of work right now. I'm looking for any way possible to save some $$!! You can email me at [email protected] or just reply to the board if you want!

I've made myself a price book similar to the one mentioned and I check all the sale ads and visit at least two stores without going out of my way and wasting gas, I think I'm doing pretty good, but am always looking for other ideas to save more!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!

Old 08-15-2002, 09:53 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

HI. I just wanted to say thanks for all the great information. I am now starting my own price book. I went to Sam's yesterday and did it. Now I still need to go to 3 more stores. Thanks again

LuvMyFF
Old 08-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have put off finishing my price book for way too long! AFter reading all of your encouraging posts here.....I think I will add it to my definite to do list right away! I especially need it now...with all these bills!

I used to buy in bulk, from an amish supplier, but now that we don't live near the amish, I miss it! So now, a price book would definitely be in order! So I will get on the ball.....and get started! Will let you know how it works out! (PS...feel free to remind me if I am not back here soon with an update! )

Michelle

(I just love these smilies)
Old 08-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Smiley, I would to hear how you feed your family too on your budget? Do you use coupons? I hate to tell you what we spend on groceries...

janet
Old 08-19-2002, 06:06 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

homekeeper--I love shoppping in bulk from the Amish. I have two different lists. One for Kalona (our amish retaler) and one for fareway/aldis. I love the bulk spices, flours, sugars and pastas that we get in Kalona. Wonderful shopping experience, and boy does it draw the people in from everywhere! My list for Kalona is usually longer than my list for the other stores. I can only go there once every two or three months though, since it is about an hour and a half away. It does cut down on having to have a price book because most everything for baking and cooking can be bought there.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Saving Money on Groceries is my favorite subject!

Hi! Here's a few tips on how I save money on groceries.

I have a vege garden for canning pickles, tomatoes, and salsa. I grow green beans too but we eat so many I never have enough to can.

When it comes to going to the store I do the majority of my shopping in the produce and dairy isles. We eat fresh veges and fruits in season. I buy pasta in bulk and make lots of pasta/vege dishes. Hot dishes in winter. Cold pasta salads in summer. When canned veges go on sale (usually this time of year), I buy them by the case.

I buy the loss leaders in the ads and skip everything else. I NEVER use coupons (except for baby wipes) because the name brands are usually still more then the store brands. When the store brands go on sale, I stock up. My cart never sees the pop, chip, cracker, cookie, frozen food isles. I don't buy many processed foods.

Since I've had kids (now 2 and 4), I've tried to give them as healthy a diet as I can. It's helped me to lose 90 pounds too.
I'm back down to where I want to be.

Meat is the most expensive thing to buy and I only buy when it's a really good deal. We eat a lot of venison and fish so it cuts down on our grocery costs.

Good luck shopping. Hope I was helpful. I'm always interested in how others save money at the grocery store so keep the tips coming.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This sounds like a good idea. I am going to have to try it and see if I can get one together.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Head Moderator

Just wondering how you have done so far motherof2?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am still gathering receipts. I am hoping that during the Christmas break I can really work on it and get it together. Thanks for asking.