Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-10-2002, 06:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How Many Of You Keep Track Of Your Groceries?

I have just move to my new place, so I have been keeping receipts since March 1st. How many of you do that as well? What is you average amount you spend and what size is your family?

I was smart before moving here, I have been stocking for MONTHS!! DH couldn't believe it when you was carrying all the canned goods into the house. I was also freezing a few dinners here and there. I sure has been nice since we were too tired to cook while we were moving.

Old 03-10-2002, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Shell, congratulations on your move. Isn't it a warm fuzzy seeing everything in your pantry! I don't have a big pantry but it is nice to know I can miss the grocery store a month without needing anything but milk and eggs.

My family consists of myself, dh and dd 15. We have tracked our grocery cost for a year plus now. For the year 2001 we spent 2460.32, this averages out to 205.03 per month and 47.30 per week. We have more food in the house than we have ever had and are spending over 200.00 less per month!!!

I look forward to hearing from others how they are doing. I'm sure this will seem like a lot to some who are much more frugal than I am.

*~* Debbie *~*
Old 03-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I keep track of my expenses using Money2002. I allow myself $250.00 a month for Groceries for a family of 4 ( DH, me, 15yo, 12yo). I include paper products, laundry and cleaning supplies in this figure. I do not include pet products here because I get all my pet supplies through my job.

Most months I never spend the whole $250.00. Once in awhile I spend a few dollars more (to stock up). Like debjo45, we have more food in our house now for less $$ !

You will find some great shopping and meal planning ideas on the Planning Ahead Forum- Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-10-2002, 03:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
You will find some great shopping and meal planning ideas on the Planning Ahead Forum- Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping
Thanks Kimmyo. I'm new to this site and am still trying to learn how to get around.

I love hearing how everyone saves $$$$.

My numbers are for food only. Maybe one day I will be able to include goat,dog,cat and fish food for the same amount I'm spending now. I know it can be done, I just don't want to feel the pinch while we're doing it.

*~* Debbie *~*
Old 03-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Congrats on the new home!

I don't even want to say what I spend a month on groceries.
I am at the sotre almist every day for one thing or another. I bet I spend almost $200 a week if not more.

I buy for me, dh and dd plus my other girl Shaker (the dog). I am always buying fresh veggies and some fruits, fish and meats. plus other stuff, but these do add up.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congratulations on the new home!!!!
I keep track of grocery spending too!! We are a family of 4, dh, dd-14, ds-8 and me. I spend between $200 and $300 a month. When there are really good loss leaders I spend a little more. I also stock up, I have my freezer above the fridge and a chest freezer. I also have my regular pantry and one that we converted from a closet.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I spend around $200 to $250 per month. That's for two adults and one 3 year old. I include food, drinks, health & beauty items, cleaning supplies, household supplies (paper towels, toilet tissue), etc. in my total. We don't have any double coupon stores here so I feel I'm doing really well with my spending.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sounds like you're doing great Kahana!
Old 03-14-2002, 12:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I allow $50 a week for our family of three. Some weeks I spend as little as $30, if money is tight. Because I stock up on sale items, and get many things free or almost free with double coupons we get along quite well. Our biggest chunk of the grocery budget goes for milk (3-4 gallons a week), and produce. I really stretch any meat we purchase, getting two or more meals out of one pound of meat. We also eat an average of two meat-less meals a week.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What we do is make a grocery list and try to stick to it. I do try to keep receipts too. I have one of those pocket organizers that have the calendar, phone book etc. in it. It has a section for keeping track of the bills/ budget.and a list of the expenses you add up at the bottom of each page. We try to make a menu for the whole week and try to stick to it. Eating fast food really adds up. Besides my husband and myself we have 3 boys ages 3, 1, and 3 months. So not only do we buy groceries but diapers, formula, etc. as well. Littles ones are expensive.